PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleanup

TCZellars
04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Quick Question.....how do you guys charge for spring cleanup and what do you include in the cleanup itself

sky_lawncare
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm new here, but I've been thinking about the whole business model.

In reference to spring cleanup, I think I would do a promo offering free spring cleaning with a seasonal/annual contract signed. Of course you would want to limit the amount of time to say, 30 mins of cleanup, and charge them after that, so that you don't get stuck doing a huge job for free.

To me, getting the contract and guaranteed income would be worth sacrificing a little time up front if it meant beating out your competitors that would charge for doing the same.

I think it would be an excellent loss leader, a great way to get a step up on the competition and make a great impression on the customer right off the bat!

What is a loss leader?

A business strategy in which a business offers a product or service at a price that is not profitable for the sake of offering another product/service at a greater profit or to attract new customers. This is a common practice when a business first enters a market; a loss leader introduces new customers to a service or product in the hope of building a customer base and securing future recurring revenue.

Work smarter not harder right?

supercuts
04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
every customer is different. to me, spring cleanup is simply sticks and leaves. i certainly try to sell them on more if possible, such as mulch, bed edging, trim hedges, touch up on neglected areas, whatever. discuss it with your customers and see how far they want to take it. give them a price for each. if you using a tarp, rake and lopping shears, hourly price is the way to go. once you've invest all your $$$ in equiptment, charge by the job and you'll make more per hour.

DLAWNS
04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I use my hourly rate, and for the most part it's usually just leaves, sticks, and debris. Like supercuts said I try to up sell people, but for the most part its just leaves and sticks.

DK lawn care
04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I say leaves, sticks, thatching and what ever else the customer wants done (if your services will do it). Then charge by hour.

IN2MOWN
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
My spring cleanups consist of cleaning out the beds, remulching at customers request, trimming back all ornamental grasses, cutting the turf down to 2-2.5 inches,and bagging it all up.

I charge by the job with a $75 minimum for spring cleanups. I charge less for Spring then I do Fall cleanups.

sky_lawncare
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Going back to what I said, if you offered a loss leader special and gave them 30 mins of free cleanup in exchange for a signed contract, you wouldn't do it?

If you charge 75.00 and joe lawn-boy does it for 50.00, now joe has their business for the rest of the season. That 25.00, or 75.00 for that matter you wanted to charge them at the beginning of the season could end up costing you thousands in lost revenue. I would do anything and everything, even at a small loss if it meant a signed contract and committed customer.

Spring cleanup marks the start of the season, use it wisely to attract customers.

And thats not a low-baller mentality, thats a smart business strategy mentality.

greenbaylawns
04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
40 an hour, usually takes 2 to 3 hours. beds, Leaves, sticks, mow, gravel ect... Usually on the blower for 1.5 hours blowing everything to the middle then mow and mulch till nothing left. Gutters are extra

Slcareco
04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm new here, but I've been thinking about the whole business model.

In reference to spring cleanup, I think I would do a promo offering free spring cleaning with a seasonal/annual contract signed. Of course you would want to limit the amount of time to say, 30 mins of cleanup, and charge them after that, so that you don't get stuck doing a huge job for free.

To me, getting the contract and guaranteed income would be worth sacrificing a little time up front if it meant beating out your competitors that would charge for doing the same.

I think it would be an excellent loss leader, a great way to get a step up on the competition and make a great impression on the customer right off the bat!

What is a loss leader?

A business strategy in which a business offers a product or service at a price that is not profitable for the sake of offering another product/service at a greater profit or to attract new customers. This is a common practice when a business first enters a market; a loss leader introduces new customers to a service or product in the hope of building a customer base and securing future recurring revenue.

Work smarter not harder right?

Your the kind of landscaper I'd love to put outa business...loss leaders are good for retail not your time and service! You want to do free work to get a signature think twice makes you look desperate and un business like..... Just my thoughts :cool2: ohhhhhh yeahhhhh

topsites
04-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Going back to what I said, if you offered a loss leader special and gave them 30 mins of free cleanup in exchange for a signed contract, you wouldn't do it?

No, I wouldn't, absolutely categorically not.

Then again I don't have contracts.

...loss leaders are good for retail not your time and service! You want to do free work to get a signature think twice makes you look desperate and un business like..... Just my thoughts :cool2: ohhhhhh yeahhhhh

I like your attitude, a good businessman's mind is as shrewd as it is strong.
But just between you and I, loss leaders blow for everybody, except the customer.

What is a loss leader?
Why, it is a thing that LEADS you to LOSS :laugh:
It does this very well, it is good at it.

Slcareco
04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I like your attitude, a good businessman's mind is as shrewd as it is strong.
But just between you and I, loss leaders blow for everybody, except the customer.

What is a loss leader?
Why, it is a thing that LEADS you to LOSS :laugh:
It does this very well, it is good at it.

Thanks topsites, I love your definition makes much more sense haha

Slcareco
04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Spring cleanup marks the start of the season, use it wisely to attract customers.

Season starts in January... Selective Pruning for all evergreens and deciduous plants that flower before June, Starts the season least in NY

Also don't sell yourself short or in your DESIRABLE case for FREE to another company... if that client wants work done at a cheap price let them get there work done at a cheap price.... I bet 9 out of 10 times that cheap price comes with cheap work. Raise your standards of income, work ethic, and professionalism, because being someones Wh0re for a job only makes you look like an idiot :hammerhead:

Whitey4
04-02-2008, 08:08 AM
I offer a $50 off spring cleanups for new customers that agree to a full service plan, all ferts, apps, and miantenance. Of course, they don't know what my quote for the cleanup will be. When I tell them it will be $45 with the discount, I explain that next year it will be cheaper (than $95) because I will do my last fall cleanup in Decmeber, and it will be cleaner, so easier next year to do the spring cleanup. So, it's a discount, but I would not do a cleanup for free.

What I do on each house varies. If the place is clean, I edge the beds and walks, turn all the beds, make sure there isn't a leaf in sight and do some pruning. If the place has a lot of leftover leaves, is a mess, then I'll skip the edging, and only prune stuff that needs it pretty bad.

My rule of thumb is that the place has to look significantly better at first glance. If it was clean to start with, I need to do more to make a readilly noticable difference. If it was a mess, then just debris romoval, light pruning and turning the beds is enough. If a place hasn't been edged in a year, then I'll go ahead and do that as it makes a big difference visually.

The customer has to feel they got value when they pay the bill, bottom line.

KGR landscapeing
04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Some lady told me my hourly rate was to high:dizzy: and then shes like i want them done tomorrow. i am like well the trailer isnt rolling until the 14th. i may call her back and just do them the 11th and get them done gated community people are strange. i dont think they gate them to keep you out i think they gate them to keep the weirdos in.

Reliable Lawn Care
04-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Sticks, leaves, debris clean up. Trimming and prunning. Oh, and I charge for it. Good Luck

Whitey4
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
My last spring cleanup.... I saved the worst for last. The previous LCO did the bare minimum. There is a hdge-podge of leggy woody srubs lining the property, and he never removed any of the dead branches or leaves from the beds and those stuck behind the mess.

I decided to clean it all up, profit be damned.

Nearing completion, the little old lady who just really busted my chops over my prices came out and gave me a $20 tip. :laugh:

Next, she is talking about an big English Ivy removal... I say it won't be inexpensive... and she wants it done.

Spring cleanups on new customers are a royal PITA. I can never make a decent $/hour figure, but I do ALL I can to make the last LCO look like a sloppy, lazy pigpen. I'm tellin ya, a dynamite spring cleanup goes a long way to solidifying relationships with new customers, and it opens the door to premium services.... spraying and removing Ivy, mulching, annual plantings, lawn renovations, new installs.... the works.

Fully 75% of my new customers want additional services after I do my cleanup. The conversations are more friendly and less business-like. They KNOW I made little money on the cleanup based on time spent. They almost seem to feel guilty!

Yes, some have complemented me on my cleanups. I go the extra mile. One house had an abandoned water feature, a small pond that once had a fountian in it, nicely bordered with a rock garden. I cleaned all the debris out, made the rock garden look good again, and now he wants me to get the whole thing working again and replanted with a shade garden. All because I went the extra mile the last LCO would not go.

People will still pay for quality even in this economy. Being better than the rest still pays off.

I just tell them.... my company motto of "We care for your property as though it was our own." is more than advertising schtick. It's how I operate, and so far, it is really paying dividends, leading to profitable add on services.

KGR landscapeing
04-04-2008, 06:05 AM
I just tell them.... my company motto of "We care for your property as though it was our own." is more than advertising schtick. It's how I operate, and so far, it is really paying dividends, leading to profitable add on services.[/QUOTE]

If people saw my house they would just laugh me off there block. my mom is so cheap. at home i cut corners to keep the price down. i would never do this on a customers. i wouldnt even think about. if they say well thats to much i go it is what it is.