PDA

View Full Version : Do you mow with the guard up or down?

FDuce
04-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

I used to mow back in highschool, had about 10-20 accounts. Anyways, I still have my walkbehind and was noticing everyones pics of their mowers shows the discharge guard being down. I never put mine down unless I didn't want the grass to blow in a flower bead or something. Just wondering if you all mow with it up or down?

YoungGun
04-01-2008, 11:43 AM
always up when the clippings will stay in the grass. you get less clumps and that means more speed!

i put it down for everthing else flowerbeds pool pavement!

laxative
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Mine are removed and in a pile the garage. I know it's stupid but they suck.

MJS
04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
always up when the clippings will stay in the grass. you get less clumps and that means more speed!

i put it down for everthing else flowerbeds pool pavement!

Ditto here. Always up unless otherwise needed.

PearceLawn
04-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Mine are removed and in a pile the garage. I know it's stupid but they suck.

I have a pile too!!:rolleyes:

JTF40
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Neither up or down - OFF, PERIOD !!!!!!!:usflag:

gandk06
04-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I run mine in the up position except for tight areas where I am trying to control where the clippings will fly (flower beds, pools...)

wiseguyslawn
04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I bag so it doesn't apply but have you guys ever had anything fly out such as a rock, baseball, etc. this could cause some serious problems

jkingrph
04-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Driving by a school about 3 years ago and a ztr without the guard threw a rock and took out camper shell window on my pickup.

Administrator wanted me to file on my insurance and then they would pay deductible, I said no way you pay it all. Funny thing was that she had just returned from a safety seminar where this problem was addressed. She said chutes were going back on all school mowing equipment.

bill w
04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I bag so it doesn't apply but have you guys ever had anything fly out such as a rock, baseball, etc. this could cause some serious problems

I've had a rock break a door window while using the bagger. Stuff happens.

lawnwizards
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
shute up or down can still throw stuff. thats what insurance is for.

POPO4995
04-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Usually down. When you run John Deere, the clippings dispersal is awesome either way....:rolleyes: If it's really thick or wet, then up will strap them up.

AdamChrap
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM

I mow a school (only after hours, lol) and I will tell you that I have chucked baseballs further then you would believe me. I even got one on top of the school!

Charles
04-01-2008, 03:13 PM
If it is a property with a history of rocks and other objects, then down. Or any property where the shoot is aimed at a busy road. Then its down also. Insurance may not cover you if you are being careless?

gandk06
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
I mow a school (only after hours, lol) and I will tell you that I have chucked baseballs further then you would believe me. I even got one on top of the school!

I personally enjoy hitting tennis balls to see how far they will go (in wide open areas only). What can I say, it can get mighty boring out there some days.:hammerhead:

Ramairfreak98ss
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Neither up or down - OFF, PERIOD !!!!!!!:usflag:

lol, My 05 Ferris 61" had the metal one, dinged it twice and then took it off.

The 06+ models now all have that hard rubber chute which is 10x nicer for our use, but it was still the first thing i removed.

Since we load the mowers on trailers non stop, its a given it either has to be "strapped" in the UP position 90% of the time or removed. I have block off plates for some yards or mulching situations.

lawnwizards
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
If it is a property with a history of rocks and other objects, then down. Or any property where the shoot is aimed at a busy road. Then its down also. Insurance may not cover you if you are being careless?

kinda hard proving carelessness. i think unless you are running over stuff on purpose then it wouldnt be careless. you are going to hit stuff with your mower, thats a given. whether your shute it up or down its gonna go flying.

DLAWNS
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I also take mine off. I know it can be a little more dangerous, but as stated above it can still happen with bagging or with it in the down position.

ProStreetCamaro
04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Off before i even leave the dealer for the first time.

Nosmo
04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Neither up or down -- took it off.

Ed Ryder
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
For legal reasons it's probably best not to remove the discharge chutes.

Of course, I mow with the chute up - unless I need to be extra careful in an area.

But the concern I have about operating one of these machines without that piece of safey gear is the level of negligence involved if somebody gets injured from a flying projectile.

For example, suppose your mowing with the chute down, a rock flies out and hits a passing motorist in the eye - and he loses that eye. You're negligent and you're in big trouble. BUT, if the chute were missing and the same thing happened, it's possible you could be brought up on a criminal negligence charge!

If the chute was up, the rock shot out, and hit the motorist, at least you could kick that chute down and say it was down to possibly avoid being tried as criminally negligent.

Something to think about...

TKLAWN
04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
I know it's stupid but it's the first thing to come off the mower along withe the rops.

derekarbeiter
04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I live my discharge shoot off. Its a hassle to have to deal with.:dizzy:

02DURAMAX
04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Mine is up..Unless I see people around..

mowerbrad
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Mine isn't even on, I bag most of my properties except for a few. By not having the guard on it is just easier to take the vac part on and off. And anyway my mower didn't even come with it when I bought it from the dealer, it was used.

martyman
04-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I was at the local Lawn shop and saw one of those Vulcher II plastic chute deflectors...looks interesting but I would not pay $200 for it. I have a property that has golf balls and would love to have a way of having a Chute on that doesn't cause clumping.

prosperity
04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
For legal reasons it's probably best not to remove the discharge chutes.

Of course, I mow with the chute up - unless I need to be extra careful in an area.

But the concern I have about operating one of these machines without that piece of safey gear is the level of negligence involved if somebody gets injured from a flying projectile.

For example, suppose your mowing with the chute down, a rock flies out and hits a passing motorist in the eye - and he loses that eye. You're negligent and you're in big trouble. BUT, if the chute were missing and the same thing happened, it's possible you could be brought up on a criminal negligence charge!

If the chute was up, the rock shot out, and hit the motorist, at least you could kick that chute down and say it was down to possibly avoid being tried as criminally negligent.

Something to think about...

As I was reading through this thread, I already knew what I was going to say - but it was all said in the above quote.

lostmdboy
04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Mine are gone just seems to work so much better with out them.

nosparkplugs
04-01-2008, 07:57 PM
although not mandatory, it's an accident waiting to happen to operate without bagging, mulch-plate or deflector. I have car dealerships, church's with daycare's etc. I learned years ago it's not worth the risk unless in a wide open field even then. I have seen object's ejected, and was like holy $@*! as I watched them just fly. The Walkers are handy for containing rocks & objects to within the GHS it's the only foolproof mower:sleeping:. While I was running Scags even with the mulch plate foreign objects & rocks would still be discharged at high velocity.

jaybird24
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Chutes? Man I wish I knew these things came with chutes, I never would have sucked up that nest of baby bunnies and splaterred them into the 63 Corvette convertible.

Danielslawnservice
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Chutes? Man I wish I knew these things came with chutes, I never would have sucked up that nest of baby bunnies and splaterred them into the 63 Corvette convertible.

HOLY **** i came close to doing that but i spotted it an threw it into re-verse tore up grass and everything.