PDA

View Full Version : Bust the Illegals...

slammerjax
04-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I've started a new campaign.

When I see an LCO on Craigs List or get a flyer from an LCO I respond asking for a quote for work with their business license and insurance information...

They all call with prices, and when I ask about license and insurance they all try to BS.

I tell them my next call is to City Hall and the IRS.

Probably won't make a diff...but it makes me feel good and It may make one or two of them think about lowballing their illegal business...

Sweet Tater
04-01-2008, 09:50 PM
A wise man one said. " Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
IMO thats no cool dude. yes its not right for them to do that, but don't be a snitch.

SILVERSTREAK INC
04-01-2008, 09:57 PM
yeah everyone should have the right to work........i mean god forbid somehow i had to start over with no $$ for insurance, the only way to get the money is get to work (i dont think id even qualify for a 500 dollar loan), then make insurance your 1st priority..... its how i did it when i was a kid

MudslinginFX4
04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't care what others do. I just keep moving forward and don't worry about others. Plenty of work here.. if you want to low priced properties, have them, I tend to go after only the top 1% here.

Carolina Cuts
04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
bro, it's never gonna end... so do what I do.... focus on more important things, like improving on my own quality of work.... gettin' more work.... future proofing myself for the next coming season....

TNT LawnCare Inc.
04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I agree about the Insurance,if something goes wrong you could be in big trouble. You dont need a License to cut Grass. But to be legit you need a tax I.D #. As stated thou its going to continue. At least there working and not selling Drugs or Breaking into homes .

JB1
04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
You got more time than I do.

ALC-GregH
04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
SliverStreak, nice to meet you today. I ran the mower after we got back. Works very good. I'm going hydro for sure.....

Scagmower48
04-01-2008, 10:37 PM
why don't you worry about taking calls from prospective clients, and actually planning out work, instead of sitting around the phone like a bum, and wasting peoples time. I doubt city hall is going to care about all the joe blows that you turn in, and then if they do, what are they going to do.

MnDLawn
04-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow, someone needs to mind their own business. I wish I had the time to think these things up, never the less actually do something like that. Also in PA you don't need a business license, and insurance is not mandated unless you work in a private community.

MFS
04-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I agree with you man!!!! Colorado would laugh at you and then audit you lol

QUOTE=MnDLawn;2246204]Wow, someone needs to mind their own business. I wish I had the time to think these things up, never the less actually do something like that. Also in PA you don't need a business license, and insurance is not mandated unless you work in a private community.[/QUOTE]

zima
04-02-2008, 01:18 AM
No time for bs

MowHouston
04-02-2008, 01:25 AM
I agree with the majority. Who cares? These guys simply warm up the future customers for me.

I get a few calls a month "I had a mexican guy that mowed my lawn but he just disappeared on me and I need someone who is reliable and who I can communicate with"

Deported? Went back home? In jail? Who cares, I love these customers because they -want- my kind of business, the legal one.

ALC-GregH
04-02-2008, 09:05 AM
didn't Arizona pass a state law that stops business owners from hiring illegal alien's by means of a heavy fine? I read that somewhere and it also said that illegal mexicans are jumping BACK over the border out of Arizona because of this.

DrGreenThumb
04-02-2008, 09:58 AM
The IRS has bigger fish to fry... Enough said?

mikewhit1010
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree. When we all started thet majority started with a small pick up or car and a few pieces of crappy equipment. If you had the luxury of starting with some cash then you have no excuess not to get legit. As far as lowballing. These guys are hurting themselves. I saw a guy mowing 2 acres for $20. This guy will be out of business soon. However a lot of these guys work very hard just to support their family. You dont want the clients they are getting. Like others have said when a customer calls you because their mexican went back to Mexico its then you can sell them on your services and bust out a high price. I had one client call me and tell me she was fed up with them because they couldnt really speak english and was hard to get a hold of. She paid them 25 for her lawn. I now do her lawn at 35. At first she was like what!!!!! but then realized she is getting a clean cut guy to handle her account.

To the first post. Chill and focus on your business. It is frustrating but a lot of these people are kids too. I would prefer these kids start working early then getting into trouble.

slammerjax
04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
WOOOWWW

Didn't mean to stirr up so much mud...

Some of that was tounge and cheek...no I don't have time to call the IRS and city hall.

But...Those who are not licensed and insured are also the ones working under the table and not paying taxes. Out of a $45 cut I loose better than $10 to the IRS/Social Security....And another two bucks or so to maintenance, gas, insurance and overhead.

So I'm doing things the right way and put $30 per cut into my pocket. That's the same as the dude doing it illegal, but I have to charge the Home Owner $15 more...

If you aren't paying your taxes I say shame on you. I don't particullary like it and I believe that the government wastes a lot of my money. But it is our responsibility.

MFS
04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Wish that I had time to even write a post man have to go make a million before someone turns me in want my phone number and address and tax number and all that good stuff. Man I would love to have time like you. Mow grass and quit sitting on your a** grow up man how old are you 2:realmad::realmad:

WOOOWWW

Some of that was tounge and cheek...no I don't have time to call the IRS and city hall.

But...Those who are not licensed and insured are also the ones working under the table and not paying taxes. Out of a $45 cut I loose better than $10 to the IRS/Social Security....And another two bucks or so to maintenance, gas, insurance and overhead.

So I'm doing things the right way and put $30 per cut into my pocket. That's the same as the dude doing it illegal, but I have to charge the Home Owner $15 more...

If you aren't paying your taxes I say shame on you. I don't particullary like it and I believe that the government wastes a lot of my money. But it is our responsibility.

DrGreenThumb
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
WOOOWWW

Too many people worry about what everyone else is doing and not focusing on the own business. Just leave the kids alone they want to make a buck or 2 cutting some grass on the side good for them. If they get caught its not my issue not my money, yes they do take work from us but how long do you think these guys are going to make $20 cutting 2 acres?? I mean really you'll use more gas then what your making if you cut that cheap.

Moral: Worry about yourself, let the little guys bury themselves.