PDA

View Full Version : 30 day guarantee + ride-on

americanlawn
04-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Just wondering if you guys think 30 days is a good enough warantee.:hammerhead: I admit they offer a one year warrantee if defective parts are found (and proven), but even that seems a little restrictive. (IMO). Their full warrantee = 30 days. :dizzy: The initials of the company are PG. These units are commonly found for sale on ebay (four on sale now for much less than retail price), but I very seldom see Z-Spray units for sale.:confused: Please keep in mind that we use PG units, and they have made us much money.

Going to MPLS next week to pick up a new prototype ride-on. They're aiming at a full two-year warranty --- no questions asked. What are your thoughts? rscvp, thanks:usflag:

PSUTURFGEEK
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Honestly I look at these machines as somewhat disposable, what I mean is you make the money you spend on it back b4 it breaks in most cases, then if it breaks you fix it til you can't and buy another one, even with the ultra se models I had one that made me like 80 times what I paid for it and I replaced the briggs engine two times waiting for the magnum to come out. I know what your'e saying about the warranty it is really weak but I've seen guys put so many hours on them so fast and they take such a beating with the products we use I really wouldn't expect much of a warranty anyway.

teeca
04-01-2008, 09:47 PM
well... i have a ultra, bought it with 75hrs on it and it was in fair condition (maybe good for some). anyway i have put a new carb, spinner gear box, pump, belts, battery and gave up on the starter (all this was last year and it has 500hrs now). i bought a magnum with 100hrs on it and i need to say...... as much as i bashed the briggs engine... i think i owe them an apoligoy(sp).... this honda is cold blooded, wont return to idle for sh*t without stalling, and i'm not a fan with the clutch set up... maybe i'm wrong and i hope i get used to it... if not, i'm better off buying a used ultra and putting the money in that... granted i have not used it in the field yet (too wet), but i'll be out next week and hope it works itself it out!!! anyone else???

EJK2352
04-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Honestly I look at these machines as somewhat disposable, what I mean is you make the money you spend on it back b4 it breaks in most cases, then if it breaks you fix it til you can't and buy another one, even with the ultra se models I had one that made me like 80 times what I paid for it and I replaced the briggs engine two times waiting for the magnum to come out. I know what your'e saying about the warranty it is really weak but I've seen guys put so many hours on them so fast and they take such a beating with the products we use I really wouldn't expect much of a warranty anyway.

The only thing I know that works in a more corrosive environment than my PG is my plow truck!!!

EJK2352
04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
well... i have a ultra, bought it with 75hrs on it and it was in fair condition (maybe good for some). anyway i have put a new carb, spinner gear box, pump, belts, battery and gave up on the starter (all this was last year and it has 500hrs now). i bought a magnum with 100hrs on it and i need to say...... as much as i bashed the briggs engine... i think i owe them an apoligoy(sp).... this honda is cold blooded, wont return to idle for sh*t without stalling, and i'm not a fan with the clutch set up... maybe i'm wrong and i hope i get used to it... if not, i'm better off buying a used ultra and putting the money in that... granted i have not used it in the field yet (too wet), but i'll be out next week and hope it works itself it out!!! anyone else???

oopppss double post

EJK2352
04-01-2008, 10:23 PM

My Magnum is cold blooded too. Try tweaking the idle mixture screw on the carb. Mine needed to be a little richer, and it helped alot. I usually just leave it idle on the trailer between jobs when the temps are below 50 degrees.

teeca
04-02-2008, 05:04 PM
My Magnum is cold blooded too. Try tweaking the idle mixture screw on the carb. Mine needed to be a little richer, and it helped alot. I usually just leave it idle on the trailer between jobs when the temps are below 50 degrees.

thanks, i'll try the mixture screew. i love hondas, have them on everything 1000's of hours no problems, figures put one on a PG and all hell breaks loose!! lol

americanlawn
04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Just found out tonight that one of our 2 Ultras has a bad engine. No good anymore after only 400 hours on it. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I had hoped that commercial lawn equipment would hold up longer. Heck -- we have ExMark mowers with over 2000 hours that still run like new. I just can't figure it out.:dizzy:

rcreech
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
What engine is on the Ultra?

I think the Honda will last a long time, but being around fert dust and poor conditions.....I'm sure its life is shortened a little!

I know the motor/pumps we use to pump our 28-0-0 don't last near as long as they should.

You know how corrosive fert is on everything!

americanlawn
04-02-2008, 09:58 PM
What engine is on the Ultra?

I think the Honda will last a long time, but being around fert dust and poor conditions.....I'm sure its life is shortened a little!

I know the motor/pumps we use to pump our 28-0-0 don't last near as long as they should.

You know how corrosive fert is on everything!

Not sure what motor the Ultra's came out with. Best guess is a Robins engine (made by Subaru). It sure ain't no Honda. BTW I still use the same Honda 8.0 engine on the tree/shrub side of my split tank that I bought in 1991. And that Honda still works like new. Go figure???

Bugeater 1
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I think the centri has the Robins, the ultra has the Briggs and the magnum has the Honda. We had one centri with just over 1000 hrs (original engine) no problems, until a employee had a mishap and ran it over the end of the carrier. Two of the bolts broke off in the engine block. We just put the replacement Kawasaki on. We will let you know how it goes.

pinto n mwr
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Just wondering if you guys think 30 days is a good enough warantee.:hammerhead: I admit they offer a one year warrantee if defective parts are found (and proven), but even that seems a little restrictive. (IMO). Their full warrantee = 30 days. :dizzy: The initials of the company are PG. These units are commonly found for sale on ebay (four on sale now for much less than retail price), but I very seldom see Z-Spray units for sale.:confused: Please keep in mind that we use PG units, and they have made us much money.

Going to MPLS next week to pick up a new prototype ride-on. They're aiming at a full two-year warranty --- no questions asked. What are your thoughts? rscvp, thanks:usflag:

better than the tailight warranty

MStine315
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM

Teeca, you made my night...someone after my own heart. I, too am after a low hour Ultra. The Ultras got ripped for all the electrical problems, but our Magnum hasn't lived up to any of my expectations. The on/off for the hopper is poorly thought out, the bolts came loose that hold the axle on the machine, which caused it to rub and pull you down a hill. The bolts in the velke won't stay tight without the addition of Loctite, the one nozzle in the center is a step back from the two nozzle setup on the Ultra. Now, that said, I took our Magnum to my mechanic buddy and he somehow tweaked the carb. It says he "cleaned it" on the invoice. Anyway, a world of difference. It isn't quite as cold blooded (still a little) and it doesn't stall coming back to idle. What's funny is, any Honda I've ever had started by just looking at it. This thing is awful, or at least it was. I bought it a year ago today and it has 447 hours on it as a reference point. One thing I will add, is PG has lived up to their warranty. I called this winter because I found some parts that were bad. The wiring harness for the transmission, the deflector cable on the spreader broke at the end of the season, and the thrust bracket that braces the transmission broke (something for you Magnum owners to look at). No questions asked, new parts were in the mail.

americanlawn
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi all -- just talked to Bill at PermaGreen. Said a Honda 6.5 hp vertcal engine would work well to replace the Briggs on our Ultra. So I'm buying one today on ebay for about $300. I figure it's a good investment -- whether we keep it or sell it. PermaGreen is a swell company .... I guess I complain about PG breakdowns cuz we rely on them so heavilly:weightlifter:. (probably alot of unfair criticism). So I'd like to say "thanks again" to PermaGreen for their prompt service. They're a good outfit.:usflag:

teeca
04-03-2008, 05:30 PM
i've been looking at the 6.5 honda, but was concerned about the PTO shaft.

MSstin135, i knew there was something else that i forgot to mention.... yah, the hopper??? they [PG] have sucsesfuly made a lesco spreader worse! how they did that i don't know, but it must have took them a long time, and thats probly what added the extra cost to the magnum over the ultra. i have rigged a bunji cord to hold the hopper open, and use a peice of velcro to hold it closed. from what i can see, it's the third hole shut off 'cable' that is interfering with the opperation. yet another mod needed. also not sure how i'm going to like squeezing the lever ALL FLIPP'N day to use the weed control, what's up with that??? guess i'll need to rigg that too!! i just got used to the ultra making it ultra easy and the magnum is going to 'magnify' the work. jmo

MStine315
04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
also not sure how i'm going to like squeezing the lever ALL FLIPP'N day to use the weed control, what's up with that??? guess i'll need to rigg that too!! i just got used to the ultra making it ultra easy and the magnum is going to 'magnify' the work. jmo

Have you seen this?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=219410&highlight=auto+pilot

It's pretty sweet. Well built and about a 5 min. change over. We haven't started herbicide apps. yet (2-3 weeks out) but this'll make a world of difference.

teeca
04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Have you seen this?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=219410&highlight=auto+pilot

It's pretty sweet. Well built and about a 5 min. change over. We haven't started herbicide apps. yet (2-3 weeks out) but this'll make a world of difference.
that does look cool, thanks