PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever harmed trees from Salt of Dicamba?

Fertboy
04-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I have been using Lesco Eliminate for spot praying weeds and like the product. I plan on tank mixing Eliminate and Barricade for some new customers that I will need to blanket spray. I run a 200gal tank at 2gal/1000
Barricade at 1.0lb/A and Eliminate at 1.0 oz/1000

Noticed on the Eliminate label it states to avoid feeder roots, and avoid within the dripline of trees and ornamentals.

I have sprayed Three-Way with Dicamba and never hurt any trees, just wonder why the Eliminate label says this.

I always thought Dicamba was the AI not good for trees.

Any suggestion would be great

Thanks
Ed

LawnTamer
04-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I haven't used Eliminate, but I used to use a lot of Dicamba for spot treating weeds. I think it is a great product for spot treatments, I would be very hesitant to make blanket applications with it.

I got a call once from a farmer who wanted help with his trees, he had applied Banvel (dicamba) to his lawn to get some bindweed/morning glory, anyway, now all the leaves on his trees were curling pretty good, he assured me that there wasn't any wind or drift issues when he applied. I told him that it is most likely that the trees feeder roots were nearly all right under the lawn where there is water and fert, and they had likely taken in the Banvel. I never followed up, he wasn't a client or anything, wish I would have taken pics of the trees though.

teeca
04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
i've sprayed dicamba around trees... depends alot on the type of tree and if they are in stress (drought/new planting/etc) and i have curled some leaves on the top of the tree, but they have always come out of it fine. (the trees were pear trees, and in one case a flowering crab)

greendoctor
04-02-2008, 01:27 AM
I will apply Banvel on turf around trees, however the rate is limited to 1/4 lb per acre and only on heavy clay soils. If the soil is sandy or otherwise well drained, Banvel is out. I once had an applicator under my supervision totally disregard my instructions on the usage of this herbicide. I think he did the usual Hawaii one ounce per gallon and spot sprayed a large area under some trees. All of the trees in the treated aree died. Good thing they were small and not particularly valuable. One ounce per gallon is how Banvel is applied on fencelines and in pastures to completely kill trees.
Fluroxypyr and triclopyr are also used to destroy woody vegetation. If one of those is in the Lesco herbicide, yes trees can be affected. I will not spray anything on exposed roots, because my normal herbicides are metsulfuron, 2,4-D ester or Speedzone. Those chemicals will move through roots and bark. BTW, Banvel + 2,4-D formulated in a diesel emulsion will kill trees if it is applied to the basal area of the tree.

RigglePLC
04-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Fertboy,
You are probably OK. I have been using Eliminate for two years on all my accounts. I think the dicamba in Eliminate is exactly the same as in Three Way--no greater risk at all. I have not noticed any injury to trees, on my customers. I use it both in Permagreen and skid sprayer at the maximum rate 1.1 ounces per thousand sqft.

On the other hand, years ago, a half full tank at TruGreen was filled with fertilizer and Trimec mixture. The tech got a phone call and later forgot to add the needed 600 gallons of water. Next day there were a lot of fert burns and some trees died and others did not look good.

Redbud tree is particularly sensitive to weed killers and a few had distinct leaf curl, particularly at the leaf tip.

pinto n mwr
04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Have used control products with dicamba and have injured trees. Noticed it primarily on Lindens.

garydale
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I've seen leaf curl on forsythia and a 30 ft. Pin Oak(two separate sites)

Was not fatal, but both recovered the follow year.

A homeowner called me about a Pin Oak he treated under with a weed & feed from hardware store. Whole treat had curled leaves. When second flush of growth can out it looked normal. Made for a very funny looking tree.

Fertboy
04-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I try to do the IPM deal and just spot spray alot, but signed up some new accounts and they are weed farms and need a blanket app.

Since I havent blanketed with Eliminate , just wanted any insight with products with Dicamba and trees. Alot of my lawns are pretty open and not alot of trees.

I have almost finished my first round with 19-0-6 Dimension, so I can probably take it a little easy with the gun around any smaller trees.

Thanks Again!
Ed

Marcos
04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Back in the 80's we used to mix together weed killers in the tank like toxic-avenger bartenders. There just WEREN'T any "Trimecs" or "Three-Ways" on the market yet.

I remember myself, and others I worked with then, having more than a few problems with Banvel, particularly in and around flowering dogwoods that were just leafing out, and ornamental japanese maples that were too close to turf for their own good.

There were others too but I don't remember right now.

greendoctor
04-03-2008, 04:56 AM
It does not take much Banvel on loose loamy soil to curl a tree. The safe rate there is no more than 4 fluid oz per acre. The only herbicide I respect more than Banvel is Tordon.

naughty62
04-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Al lot of threee ways have about 2.5 % A.I. dicamba so i am very respectful of exposed roots ,weak planting ,new trees, stressed plantings and driplines .

Atlantic Lawn
04-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Most of our soil here is quite sandy and have been very careful when spraying around younger trees and shrubs I think dicamba moves through our soil pretty quick.

Marcos
04-03-2008, 10:04 AM
The only herbicide I respect more than Banvel is Tordon.

I thought Tordon RTU was off the market.
I haven't seen it around in a while.

greendoctor
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
No, Tordon 22K. That is the tree killer. Spray that and the only vegetation left standing is the grass.