PDA

View Full Version : designing

pete scalia
04-01-2008, 11:52 PM
when designing a job in a neighborhood do you drive through said neighborhood after dark to get a feel for what the neighbors are doing? Or do you not give a crap and blast your garish glaring lights all over the walls of the house because that's what you do on every job regardless?

Flow Control
04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
when designing a job in a neighborhood do you drive through said neighborhood after dark to get a feel for what the neighbors are doing? Or do you not give a crap and blast your garish glaring lights all over the walls of the house because that's what you do on every job regardless?

Actually I take a completely different approach. I talk and listen to the owner of the property to see what type of lighting they are interested in. If they mention a particular house that they like and I don't feel like I am wasting my time then I will drive by the house at night if it is not too far or if I am in the area.

pete scalia
04-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Actually I take a completely different approach. I talk and listen to the owner of the property to see what type of lighting they are interested in. If they mention a particular house that they like and I don't feel like I am wasting my time then I will drive by the house at night if it is not too far or if I am in the area.

What do the owners know? They are the last people you want to talk to in this situation. Leave it up to them and you'll be installing Malibu.

Flow Control
04-02-2008, 12:09 AM
What do the owners know? They are the last people you want to talk to in this situation. Leave it up to them and you'll be installing Malibu.

I guess that could the case in your area. We are more selective in our customers for lighting and the ones we typically run into have already had professional lighting at a previous home and realize that the quality of the product does make a difference for longevity of the system. Don't get me wrong we do go over concepts that I think will enhance the property, but we always ask the owners for their opinion. Does that answer your rhetorical question.

Whatever happened to Paul on this board, was a wealth of information. I have not followed this board in a few years.

Lite4
04-02-2008, 02:17 AM
ICS, I love that signature pic of Bush. I about fell out of my chair laughing.
Pete, I usually ask alot of questions about how the spaces will be used and light levels desired. I don't always "blast" the front of houses as you say. It just depends on what they already have and if that is important to them.

JoeyD
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I wouldnt care what kind of lighting the neighbors have? Most of the time it will suck anyway. My goal would be to do such a good job that the neighbors want me to light their houses up as well. Now that doesnt mean I would want to just be a jerk and shine lights into the neighbors windows and what not but I if I am contracted to do a job for this customer I am not worried so much about what the neighbors lighting is like.

The Lighting Geek
04-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I talk to the customers about what they want to accomplish with lighting. They usually start by telling me what they think goes where and I tell them why I would not light the item that way. They generally ask me how I would do it then. I tell them why before I tell them how. I come as a designer and leave my name on my work, I believe my customers get that. We work things out and the customer gets the end result they wanted.

It depends on the neighborhood whether I look at night. I have seen most of the ones in my area and a good feel for out there. As far as glaring lights, nobody is going to pay me for glaring lights, period.

Pete you really should post some of your work so we can see what you do with different situations. I'm sure you have nice pics to share.

Oh and welcome aboard Lambent Leaves. Andy is a very good lighting professional in the same market area as myself.