PDA

View Full Version : dixie diesel

odin
11-27-2001, 09:26 PM
Eric or other dixie owners .we have been very happy with the kohler .I really dont know if we will have the resorses until no sooner than mid season next year but we are very interested in this diesel.I was wondering what the beast retails for.
I also would like to thank you dixie owners out there because without this site i would not have found out about the wonderful
mowers

yardboyltd
11-27-2001, 11:15 PM
I too am contemplating buying XWD-2600-60 next year. From what I've learned you can get one for about 10.5 to 11k. But also, I've heard that certain dealers are cheaper than others and some others more willing to make deals.

When I first got into this business, I thought over 6k for a mower is crazy. Now look few years later, I'm looking at over 10k for a lawnmower. From my research(I'm a numbers business nut), I calculated that the owner will pay half the amount of gas or less. The life expectancy w/o much time in the repair shop for the engine and chopper is 12,000 hours with regular pre-maitnence. That's great!! I figured the diesel is the most economical mower per dollar. I really would like to get it, but I'm going to have to wait till next february and get my new advertising campaign out and a few large industrial bids to get my back before I go and buy it.

TLS
11-28-2001, 12:01 AM
If you think that you are going to get 12,000 hrs out of ANY mower, I have a bridge to sell you!

That Yanmar engine "May" last a long time, but realistically 12,000 is about twice as many hours as you could expect it to live on a lawnmower. Generator, or marine use, no problem, maybe even longer, but in the harsh conditions of a lawn mower, no way.

There is simply too much to wear out on a ZTR to think that it will last 4x's longer than it is designed. Good maintenance will help, but, when things wear out that cant be replaced or re-bushed, it just gets to nickle and diming you to death.

Don't get me wrong, its a good mower, good company, and a great engine, but I think your aiming a little too high.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-28-2001, 02:43 AM
$10,500 here in St Lewy.

12,000hours. good luck.

I think the hydros on the mower have a 5,000 hour life expectancy.

Altough I have seen golf course equip (both gas and diesel) go for 6,000 hrs plus but the mow cuts the same stuff over and over and over for many years with out much change to the demagrafics in the turf.

Lawn Care is diffrent to golf course. Abuse is the name and lawn care is the game.

Think many hours of the blades running under a heavy load.

P.S. my manual for a kubota said to rebuild the head at 2,500 hrs.

'90 Cushman

odin
11-28-2001, 02:49 AM
Lawngodfather

I would think since we both are in the midwest prices would probally pretty close

thanks partner

Flex-Deck
11-28-2001, 08:21 AM
I have a yanmar diesel in a 332 JD tractor - 1988 model - 4500 hrs on it and it purrs like a kitten - uses no oil - sounds like it did 13 years ago - no carburator overhauls - no sparkplugs to change - uses 1/2 the fuel a gas does - (have saved 2250 gallons of fuel at this point):) :)

MOW ED
11-28-2001, 08:21 AM
You gents are lucky to have the dealers around you to compare. In my travels I have seen many Chicago area LCO's runnin Choppers. Eric included. I know there must be something to them but they just aren't close enough for me up in Green Bay. In fact there is only 1 guy running one and its an old one.

Hopefully someone will start a dealership within a reasonable distance from here. Until then, I'll keep looking.

yardboyltd
11-28-2001, 10:34 PM
Why would I want to buy a bridge? I think it is plausible to get 12k out of that mower with the right treatment but what does a bridge have to do with it?

I'm open to facts, and I'm not telling you guys some far-fetched story. I think you guys take me for some unintelligent fool who just always repeats what he hears, not what he knows, and you guys are the one's who like to confront those type of people. Don't get me wrong guys, I've never sampled the Dixie diesel nor owned owned a dixie, but I can't stand people naying because they won't accept anything but the usual or given.

I've heard you can get 12k out of it from Eric also. In fact he has stated on here that his dealer has 6,000 in his (not even diesel)chopper not to much more extreme than a ring job, not exactly a expensive operation and something I have done myself.

Lets be reasonbable and think of actually why it can't make it. Of course you cant' run it for 12k hours without parts wearing. Why can't a DC frame take 12,000 hours? The frame has a lifetime warranty. Spindles, castors, bearings and such would be replaced like any other mower.

TLS: What parts cant' be "rebushed" or replaced?

LGF: How do you know the hydros are only rated for 6,000 hours. I see this as the possible weakness for any top mower, but I want to know why you know this or is this simply your thought? Also balanced blades on a straight spindle running for over 12,000k hours unhampered should have no problems. If you're grinding stumps with it that's your own problem.

I'd probably never keep the mower long enough to get 3k out of it, but put aside the life expectancy, the diesel is an excellent choice. I'm willing to bet it will last just as long as any mower available now and make the DC diesel the best choice, in my opinion.

If I'm buying a 10k mower, I'm not exactly mowing ditches guys. I don't ramp up and down curbs or hit the lowspots hard and fast. I treat all machinery as it was intended. Sure I think 12k can be had and sure maybe you get one that wouldn't last standing still then again maybe's their's one that will get farther than 12k. You make the life expectancy of the mower overall.

Rebuttals w/ facts? Anyone?

P.S. what's a kubota and it's head have to do with anything? Even so, heads are not hard to rebuild either if you have the tools.

TLS
11-28-2001, 10:50 PM
TLS: What parts cant' be "rebushed" or replaced?

Well, just about all moving joints on a Dixie are NON-Rebuildable. The deck supports are simply D rings welded to the frame. When they got loose, the entire deck got loose. On my Lazer they are greasable and rebuildable. Other things are just bolted with a washer and thats it. Maybe they changed these things, maybe not.

The only way you are going to get 12K hours on a Dixie is to have it mow 8-12 hrs straight every day at one location. NO trailer riding (very hard on equipment), NO hills, one operator. Maintenance must be kept up every day (or twice on some of Dixies 8hr intravel grease points) and it must be kept in a garage and never rained on. THEN, just maybe, 8 years and 12K hours later you can drive it across that bridge I sold you!

LAWNGODFATHER
11-28-2001, 11:00 PM
Dixie is the source for the hydro info.

As far as what I said about "Think many hours of the blades running under a heavy load. " That is commercial mowing. not golf course. Tall thick grass will put a strain on every component.

Yes there are exeptions, but not nomaly. I would not expect every mower I purchace to get unlikly hours out of it. 12,000 is a bit extreem, 8,000 I would not arguee with but you are right, every piece of that machine is replaceable and if you spent the money and time you could go for 30,000 hrs.

Eg: Exmark Lazer I have has 4362 hours as we speek. Coil with 9 hours, hour meter, and nada afterwards. Well plastic oil filter bracket is leaking slow and it will get replaced with the aluminum one as soon as I can take it in for 3-4 days.

All I was trying to say was don't get your hopes up to high for 12,000 hours.

Good Luck

TLS
11-28-2001, 11:06 PM
Best thing to do is us a mower for 1500 to 2000 hrs, and then sell it for at least 1/2 to hopefully 3/4's of its original price. I've been doing this for the past 9 years and consider it a profitable decision. New equipment on a regular basis, and you have the latest greatest mower. I hope my LC Lazer lasts a little longer than my Dixie, and allows me to keep it longer before it starts nickle and diming me to death.

odin
11-28-2001, 11:13 PM
LAWNGODFATHER

I agree with you
I think 12000 hrs is a little unrealistic and thats not knocking yardboyltd.But then again maybe hes right if he is its just iceing on the cake.
But even if you get a good 6000 thats a lotta hours on a wonderful mower .

Ricky
11-29-2001, 12:13 AM
The hydro system on the smallest Dixies are rated for 100 hp.and more. With the new VTC fluid they claim that it can double the life of the hydros and motors. The diesels and twin engine Dixies come with even heavier hydros with double coolers. Besides this all Dixies come with a larger reservoir that helps with the cooling, using the cooled fluid going to the hydros. (quad loop system)

The 12k engine may be in conditions with a cleaner atmosphere. The recommended hrs for oil change is 200 hrs. unless under dusty conditions then it is recommended to change the oil every 100 hrs. I consider mowing to be very dusty. So I change the oil and the filter every 100. The Donaldson filters will help a lot with this along with the little turbine gizmos that kick out a large percentage of the dirt.

I know that any of these things can break at any time, but they are trying to build a mower with many longevity features. Time will tell. :)

David Gretzmier
11-29-2001, 01:16 AM
the cost of the machine above 5 and 6000 hours would start to be figured in down time. I believe that there are toyotas that have gone 1, maybe 2 million miles, that doesn't mean they all will, but that probably most will go for a while. I believe that a diesel dixie could go 12000, but has not yet. All things can be re welded, bushed and replaced. switches and wiring, bolts that corrode, other things that you wouldn't notice when you trade at 2, 3, even 4 years begin to break after so many hours of use/abuse.

I met a guy once who literally took apart and rebuilt his yazoo front mount every winter. he replaced all bolts, spindles, belts, every thing that was "wore", and re welded/repainted . It still looks and runs like new after 20 years commercially. I would guess he has spent 20-30000 bucks in man hours and parts to keep it that way. He probably came out way ahead than many of us who buy new every 2-3 years and wait for things to break. You could easily do the same to the dixie, but maybe with full rebuild/refurbish every 3 years instead.

Dave g