PDA

View Full Version : Problem with PECOS collection system

Ajays
11-27-2001, 09:55 PM
This year I purchased a pecos ultra vac system for my 60"Lazer. I purchased it just for picking up leaves. I got the 5.5 hp brigs for the vac system cause the dealer didn't have the 6hp. Anyway, for some reason, when I take a swipe with it, the front right corner of my deck kicks out a spray of air or something that blows some of the leaves I'm going over to the right. If there is just one strip of leaves left, and I go over it, usually all the leaves just end up getting blown over a little and leaving another strip right next to the spot I just went over. It is especially bad if I go over a bare spot. It seems to kick out more air. There isn't too much problem on really thick turf. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it because the vac can't suck fast enough for the blade speed or because I should have bought the 6hp or is there something I can do to get a better seal to the ground for better suction? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John DiMartino
11-27-2001, 10:10 PM
I thnink this happenswith all bagger,except walkers.My ttrac vac- does it a little,I demo'd the hustler Z withte bagger,I ran it thru some leaves,it did the same thing.I have done a few things to make mine do it less,these are,use low lift blades,single only,I was runngin doubles,and a bagger for a while,to much air flow.I lowered the front deflector on my Dixie,this helped a little.Also reducing rpm;s to about 3300 or so,down from 36-3700 helped a lot in thin turf.I was going th make a rubber flap for that area of the decl,out of an old mud flap,but never got around to it.

Premo Services
I don`t have the peco vac, but have the ultra vac on my lazer and I was using the high lift blades with it, had the same problem, the high lifts were making too much wind under the deck.. I switched to low lift blades and no blowout. It`s sucking leaves like a hoover. None are missed now. That makes me a real happy camper!!! :D

TLS
I'm having the same problem with the Ultra-Vac, but at least you can lower the RPM's on the deck and keep the vac RPM's up.

This should help.

Albemarle Lawn
11-27-2001, 10:51 PM
But only in thick leaves and still not too bad.

I throttle back the mower and drive slower too. Usually takes care of it.

Make sure the boot matches properly to the discharge, and run the height setting as low as possible.

The Gravely 260Z is an ideal machine for vac work because it has lift and lower by hydrualic height adjustment. After enough hours on the machine you find yourself toggling the deck up and down almost instinctively during mowing and vac operations. There are times you run up on a obstacle and you subconsciously lift the deck knowing you can't stop that fast.

Ken

LAWNGODFATHER
11-28-2001, 01:29 AM
Ok the Lawngodfather is here to help.

I have several Peco Vacs. (BTW not "Ultra" That is a trade mark of Exmark.)

First, the engine 5.5hp briggs, and 6hp Kohler will make no differance on the vacuum. Just power and recovery time.

Second, The boot should fit well. I made my own brackets to attach the boot to mower. Any welder can do for $40. This help alot. The boot should be flush with the bottom of the deck not under like it is made.

Third, I haven't tried the low lifts yet, but I don't have much problem with the blow out of the right side. When you get on bare turf, no matter what blades, you WILL stir up the dust. Also may not get all the leaves on the first pass on bare dirt and real thin grass.

Fourth, doubles will make this problem a bigger problem. Tried it for kicks, took them off after 3 minutes.

I think try low lifts may help, don't know for sure.

Most of the lawns I use it on, are good to real thick turf.

We go over the lawn at 2.5" . the height could be anyware from 3.5" to 6" when we come to remove leaves. I think this help dramaticly.

Also check the baffles under the deck to see if any are bent, this may pose your biggest part of your problem. I had the same problems when I first put one on till I learned this system.

The blow out you should get is leaves going over your deck, not to the side. Blow out should go to the front of the mower. Not the side. If going to the side you may be going to fast.

I hope this helps, If not keep posting and we will get this ironed out.

Ajays
11-28-2001, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your help. Today I'm going to try lowering the rpms and if that works, I'll let you know. If not I'll probably try some low lift blades as soon as I can get to the dealer to get some. Any other opinions or views are welcome.
We also safetywired the metal part of the tube to the deck to get as good an airflow as we possibly could but that didn't help too much. We finally got some good rain last weekend and the leaves being a little damp helped keep them from blowing so much. Anyway, I'm off to try something new. Keep me posted.

Ricky
11-28-2001, 06:23 PM
Make sure that your deck is scraped clean.:)

LAWNGODFATHER
11-28-2001, 06:49 PM
Dude, I haven't scaped a deck in 3 years. The first lawn you pick leaves up in will scape it better than you could with removing it and sand blasting it.

Ajays
11-28-2001, 09:37 PM
Today I tried lowering the throtle and it helped out a little especially on bare spots but I definately didn't like the lack in performance with the mower throttled down. I ended up circling the yard clockwise to get all the blowout leaves in one final strip and then lowered the throttle to pick up the final strip. It worked better than before but I think I still might try low lift blades. Anything new... keep me posted.

Ricky
11-30-2001, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Dude, I haven't scaped a deck in 3 years. The first lawn you pick leaves up in will scape it better than you could with removing it and sand blasting it.

What's your secret?

Anytime its not cutting exactly right, or not picking up good, that's the first thing that I check. I often overlook the most simple things.
Ran into a guy one time that ran Scags (4 of them) told me that he has NEVER scraped his decks (doesn't put anything on them either). That's amazing to me. I scrape every time I change blades, then whenever needed. Don't have much trouble with leaves. But the leaves have almost all fell and the grass is still growing. Just had 5" of rain in the last few days with the temps climbing into the upper 60's, looks like it will continue. Very unusual.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 05:59 PM
I dunno. I quit doing it 3 years ago and found no difference.

Ever once in a blue moon the get power washed.

But we keep the rest of the mowers clean.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 06:44 PM
Bracket for deck chute

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 06:46 PM
pic of how high it is mounted

Scag48
12-01-2001, 01:04 AM
My Toro Groundsmaster does the same thing when I pic up leaves. It drives me crazy. I might have a solution for mine, since the bottom of the blower that is attached to the deck doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the deck (the edge) it creates a vacuum and half goes in the blower, the other half out the side. There is about a 2 inch gap between the deck and the bottom of the blower. I might weld something there to fix it but it's not a very good leaf machine so I probably won't use it next year for leaves and it doesn't bother me when mowing grass so I might just leave it alone.

LJ lawn
12-03-2001, 10:44 PM
why didn't you get the ultra vac or whatever exmark is calling it?i had the same problem with my trac vac.i tried different blades ,slower speeds etc,etc.it always clogged either the collection chute or the hoses,always left a windrow of stuff.after using a seperate blower unit system then going to a deck mounted system (grasshopper mower with quick detatch vac)i feel that the deck mounted blowers do a much better job of debris collection because the blower fan is mounted directly on the discharge.and when the hose clogs-it doesn't jam the blower fan.the machine just mulches everything .i do leaf jobs now with this mower that i wouldn't even dream of doing with the trac vac.i have thought of mounting the peco box on the back of my toro z then using a deck mounted blower.apparently toro finally is going to make a collection system for their line of z's.gee... it only took 3 years.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-04-2001, 12:18 AM
I've had a Toro, Grasshopper with the systems you discribed, and a Cushman with no vac what so ever (it had a hopper with exteemly high lift blage on one spindle and had 2 blades on it)

I like the pony engine much better.

It does not clog much at the intake chute unless you hit a BIG piles of leaves and get to much in at one time. Never clogs the intake tube.

It does clog some times in the discharge tube but easily unclogged with ouy getting off the mower. Just wiggle it while you are dumping it.

I don't realy like the belt driven systems because the bog down when the blades do and then it doen't suck any more.

Also with the pony engine it PACKS the leaves in the hopper realy well.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-04-2001, 12:22 AM
Here's a pic of mower and pony engine.