PDA

View Full Version : Help me out

mxzpro
04-02-2008, 07:33 PM
hi guys a friend told me about this site and i think its great been on here all day. Anyways I'm looking into buying a small lawn care company it has all the equipment i would need and 21 contracts but I'm really scared because i have a good job now, but somethings telling me to go for it, and its always been my dream to own a lawn care company, and I'm a very hard worker and very honest and love the out doors and to take care of lawns. just wanted some input anything would help

Thanks shaun

Mark Bogart
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
If you can afford buying this business than go for it. Are you going to keep your other job? I would recommend you keep it until you get going with this new business. Good Luck and Have Fun!

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
04-04-2008, 01:22 AM
hi guys a friend told me about this site and i think its great been on here all day. Anyways I'm looking into buying a small lawn care company it has all the equipment i would need and 21 contracts but I'm really scared because i have a good job now, but somethings telling me to go for it, and its always been my dream to own a lawn care company, and I'm a very hard worker and very honest and love the out doors and to take care of lawns. just wanted some input anything would help

Thanks shaun

The part about "...I have a good job" is a tricky one. Just owning a business that you have dreamed about isn't enough these days. You've got to weigh the pros and cons, what you have versus what you are giving up. How good is your job? Are promotions in your future? Is the job you do now something you enjoy? I have been in plenty of business ventures from franchise Minsky Pizza restaurants to online ebay Powerselling, which I still do at a high level since 1998. Mowing commercially is so different from what you'd clasify as a "normal job". I've always loved the vigorous outdoor work of the mowing busines, that's why I added this to my plate. I started with a few government contracts, mastered them, moved up the ladder. Added churches, businesses, apartment homes, now making decent income off the enterprise. I polish off 40 acres of mow, trim, and blow in a day and half's time with 4 employees. Would I borrow $20K on my home equity to buy up a mowing business today, without ever mowing commercially myself? No.

I'd start with the lowest priced GOOD equipment I could afford. Buy off ebay. Buy off CraigsList. Have someone who knows equipment buy for you, while you watch closely and learn. Buy a cheap, dependable truck and trailer. Find clients, and develop them based on quality and value. That's the only real way of diving into anything worthwhile...value...quality. You may take a lower wage than the next guy, but at least you're in the game. Then, make that client marvel at your quality of work. Buying client lists and assorted equipment is a crapshoot. It is in any business. You think buying a restaurant just because you like to cook is wise? Might work, might not. My way, you find out the real pros and cons of the business without the debtload and risk. Then, if you go back to the good-paying "regular" job, you won't be hurt. Your way: If it works, great. If it doesn't, be ready to pay off a note and then dispose of a lot of equipment you might not have the skills to sell properly.

I'm a "real world" guy who doesn't sugar-coat how business really operates. Trust me, I'm not trying to rain on your parade...I just have been there. I've done the stupid things. I've paid real money to learn those lessons. As I tell my college son: "No need for you to pay a heavy price when I've already paid for both of us". He listens to me, he understands, and he benefits from 'ol dad's wisdom. Wisdom that's free and clear!

mxzpro
04-04-2008, 08:58 PM
thanks guys i appreciate your inputs and i think iam going to just try to start small and keep my current job and try to get some work mowing part time and see where it takes me. and to answer the question about how good my job is, its just a secure job with not many benefits or really room to move up Im just a field tech at a vending company so it gets me buy. thanks again