PDA

View Full Version : Weed control in the rain, ya think it works!

Joshuakwhit
04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I work for one of those big companies cough Scotts.
Anyways, it pretty much going to flat out rain tomorrow and what doe they say, "It has a sticker spreader in it it will work".

My thoughts are going and finding a quiet cul-de-sac and catch up on some rest.

What do ya'll think. Some one give me an answer, do ya'll work in the rain?

PSUTURFGEEK
04-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Honestly I've had some of my best results ever in a light steady rain situation, because it will help to open the pores of the weed and take in the weed control and the moisture will also help to move it through the weed by getting the stomates moving if the temps up a little, but a heavy rain sticker or not your'e gonna hurt your'e retention rate, just ask your manager whats more important tomorrows production or the cost of fuel and labor for a service call or two and your'e cancel rate goal.

Joshuakwhit
04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Well I have asked this before but it falls on deaf ears. They want production one way or the other. They can afford to pay gas if the customer calls and complains.

turfman07
04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
i have a friend that used to work for......well.....i wont say any names, but their initials are...truegreen. :)
he said it would be raining so hard, that water would be running down the street and they would have him put on his rain coat and keep on spraying!

do i spray in the rain? NO. :nono:

Jason Rose
04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
They're basically just betting that the % of customers that will call and ask for a respray are a lot less than those that won't. Compare the loss of a day's production compared to the small expence of chemical, employee wage, and fuel and they are money ahead to let you spray in the rain.

PSUTURFGEEK
04-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I feel for you man, I know all to well how the big companies do business, like I always say learn what you can, then go on youre own and do the oppisite.

Joshuakwhit
04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Yep' I totally agree. I have til Feb. '09. Then I can apply for an Operator's lincese.

I get through this R.d it will be easy sailing until Fall. It will be aerate and seeding time. Man, i don't know which season I despise the most.

ted putnam
04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Got any sick time? If so, I'd use it. Like turfgeek said, I've gotten some of my best weed control in a light steady rain. However, I don't spray anything if I know it's gonna be piss pouring out of a boot. It'll end up in the sewer drain or ditch....Not good.

Runner
04-03-2008, 01:10 AM
No different than when tru-brown is out spraying in 25 mph winds. Yep,..there's nothing like coming around the corner of a building and getting a face full of 2,4-D.:hammerhead: Ah, the day of pulling hose....:rolleyes:

mngrassguy
04-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Weather must be easier to predict in TN. Can't tell you how many times I've herd it was going to rain all day and it stops as soon as I get home.

Stickers help but are still "hit or miss" at best. Customer perception is everything

I like the quiet cul-de-sac idea best, wait it out and get paid for it. Pays the same regardless

greendoctor
04-03-2008, 04:19 AM
This is one more thing I will not do now that I have a choice, spray when the product will either leach past the weed's rootzone or worse, run down the street, into the storm drains and into the sea. Besides, I am wasting the chemicals and there is no such thing as "I had to reapply, so your invoice will reflect the charge". I do not know WTF is wrong with people who have others working under them, seems their power and greed trumps good sense and consideration of others. I remember spraying simazine and Image during wet weather when I was someone's employee. I can only imagine how much of it went into the water table. Once a pesticide is in the ground water, DOA essentially regulates it out of existence. I can understand that position, if it is designed to kill things, I do not want to swim in it or drink it.

Joshuakwhit
04-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Well, I see we all look at it the same way. I love rainy days, just listen to it rain!

Atlantic Lawn
04-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Very light rain is not ideal spraying condition, but it will work on many target weeds. I watched as a local guy sprayed in beds the other day and it was blowin' 25-30 mph. Unbelievable.

pinto n mwr
04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I've had a 50/50 chance on apps working when it is light rain. I usually do not even try it when it does, sticker or no sticker. Not worth my time to redo on a 10-20 acre sight.

I have been forced to apply fertilizer in the rain, no problems with working in the rain but you can only spread so much fert, actually one bag, before the spreader clogs and you have to spend the rest of the day cleaning your equipment out. Came back to the shop after this happened and Big Head said it was just heavy humidity, what's the problem?

grassman177
04-03-2008, 10:18 AM
spraying in the rain is just bad business and ethics. you will not get total control and you risk more going into the storm drains. idiots. like those who spray when windy as hell. i dont chance anything like the such. s sprinkle is not too bad though, have no issues with that. speaking of rain, maybe we will get some today, we need it, it all goes around us so far!!!!

greendoctor
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
During inspection time, the Hawaii DOA looks over the records of each application made. Spraying in heavy winds or torrential rain such that pesticides move off target will prompt further investigation and a possible penalty. As a solo operator, my license is not worth keeping on schedule. When I was young and dumb, my employer used to tell me to do things that were violations, the company would pay the fine. What a unique situation, as I have mentioned before, I am one of the few certified appicators who is not a nonworking boss or manager. So, as of 2007, July I became my own boss.

lawnangel1
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I saw all of the big boys out today. TGCL, Scotts, Weed Man, Lawn Doctor. THey were doing liquid apps. We got 3 inches of rain today and expecting the same tommrow, it makes me laugh.

greendoctor
04-04-2008, 05:31 AM
In January of this year, it rained on and off from after New Year, until February. I let all of my clients know that I was not going to be spraying anything until it stopped raining, there was no more standing water and there would be no more rain after I applied. Even if doing so would not jeapordize my license or pollute the water, I could not imagine doing something so stupid and wasteful. BTW, none of my clients minded one bit and none of them asked for credit for the month of January. Needless to say, I had lots of work to do after the rain stopped.

Joshuakwhit
04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Yep, it rained yesterday and samething today. Boy, I love spraying weeds in the rain

humble1
04-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I work for one of those big companies cough Scotts.
Anyways, it pretty much going to flat out rain tomorrow and what doe they say, "It has a sticker spreader in it it will work".

My thoughts are going and finding a quiet cul-de-sac and catch up on some rest.

What do ya'll think. Some one give me an answer, do ya'll work in the rain?

ultimately its your license on the line, can you say gross negligence