PDA

View Full Version : 2004 PG Ultra + bad engine

americanlawn
04-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Just got the word from our mechanic that the engine is shelled out on one of our two PG Ultras. Has just over 400 hours on it.

Question: I want to replace it with a Honda motor this time..... Do I need a horizontal shaft or vertical shaft engine? What size shaft? What horsepower do you recommend? Do you think the engine should have lasted more than 400 hours?.......(we change oil on a regualar basis with 10W-30 full synthetic motor oil). Reason I ask is cuz I'm picking up a new ride-on that is expected to last 800 hours and more with no breakdowns whatsover...engine should last for much much longer than what we have dealt with regarding our PG units.

rscvp, thanks :usflag:

philk17088
04-02-2008, 11:44 PM
OK now that you managed to get your turfco plug in lets see about that PG.
04 has the 6.5 briggss vertical, so vertical is a must also must have the jack shaft to run the impeller..
Briggs isn't my first choice because I think they are an occasional use engine fine for home owners but you are limited.

And you are using the wrong oil, that may be contributing to the decline

ted putnam
04-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Uh...I have the 2004 Ultra SE with over 400 hrs. Just had a little tune up done for the first time in 4 yrs. The motors anything but crapped out. In fact, it runs like a scalded ape!

ted putnam
04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
However, if you need a new motor and the original replacement is not your first choice. grassguy said he put kawasaki's on his.

rcreech
Its just like anything else!

Take a truck engine for example....

I have heard of some people changing engines after 100,000 miles and then next guy it might be 200,000.

Part of it has to do with maintenance, how it is used (or abused) and the biggest part of it is luck!

Forever Green Lawn
We have 3 Ultras, one with 1000 hours and two with almost 800 and all on the original engines. We also run 10w-30 Mobil 1 in them and have never had a problem. What broke on the engine? Rod? Crank? Valve train? What rpm are you running them at?

cat1
04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I had to replace my motor at about 325 hrs. The engine lost compression and I needed up and running fast. I searched all over for a replacement. P.G. was the only place I could find it @ $550. It's a odd ball motor because of output for the spinner. If you find something that works let us know. Good luck.

americanlawn
04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Crank broke apart. New Honda 6.5 GSV190 on the way.

scweedman
04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
American whats taking so long with this new machine

thomsoutdoor
04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
And you are using the wrong oil, that may be contributing to the decline

whats wrong with 10w 30? I think that is what is recommended or 5w 30.

RigglePLC
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Fingers crossed--My PG Ultra has about 800 hours. My Lesco man said you had to get a Briggs motor as you need the jackshaft. So ...I hope the Honda works out OK.

My Ultra ran fine today, even started three times with the electric starting--although I had to start it about 25 times with the rope :rolleyes:

And i discovered how to adjust it for higher max speed at full throttle. And discovered how to adjust the idle speed--although it still idles rough.

Found out I could cover 3960 sqft per minute on pavement. On grass I was slower, only 3520 sqft per minute. Recalibrated so that I need to use up a bag of 19-0-6 in 3 minutes and 35 seconds.

I am looking for a stop watch or timer and switch that would start and stop when the spreader is opened and closed.

jbturf
04-03-2008, 10:54 PM
im on the 3rd motor and 3rd tranny on my ultra, and yes briggs recommends
10w30. if any one here has ever taken this briggs or any briggs motor apart
you will see why they are poorly performing unreliable engines (for comercial use).

they are very low tech in there design, but more importantly is the build quality.
a honda engine for ex, is built with tolerances in the thousandths of and inch where as
briggs is built with tolerances in about tenths of and inch. its a very cheap low cost motor--and as we all know u get what u pay for -- and PG really cheaped out
on the ultra model and quickly redeemed themselves with the magnum.

people were able to fit the kawasaki 6.5 hp motor (from the lesco hps) on the
the old PG centri models, nothing with work on the ultra and still maintain the
jackshaft/impeller function.
though if a electric motor were rigged up there is possiblilties

so whats your plan american?

ps,
get a price from lescoJD for the replacement motor for the ultra

philk17088
04-04-2008, 08:33 AM
whats wrong with 10w 30? I think that is what is recommended or 5w 30.
Straight SAE 30 is what my manual says.

sedge
04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
im on the 3rd motor and 3rd tranny on my ultra, and yes briggs recommends
10w30. if any one here has ever taken this briggs or any briggs motor apart
you will see why they are poorly performing unreliable engines (for comercial use).

they are very low tech in there design, but more importantly is the build quality.
a honda engine for ex, is built with tolerances in the thousandths of and inch where as
briggs is built with tolerances in about tenths of and inch. its a very cheap low cost motor--and as we all know u get what u pay for -- and PG really cheaped out
on the ultra model and quickly redeemed themselves with the magnum.

people were able to fit the kawasaki 6.5 hp motor (from the lesco hps) on the
the old PG centri models, nothing with work on the ultra and still maintain the
jackshaft/impeller function.
though if a electric motor were rigged up there is possiblilties

so whats your plan american?

ps,
get a price from lescoJD for the replacement motor for the ultra

Straight SAE 30 is what my manual says.

I think Philk is right. How ever, we use 10w 30 super tech synthetic in all of our stuff and have been very happy with the briggs performances. I have several briggs that have out lasted kawasaki's. You just need to really keep the oil changed.

americanlawn
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
My bad -- seems we need a 'horizontal' engine for the PG Ultra instead of vertical to replace our shelled out Briggs. Permagreen is sending one out right away, but it's still a Briggs. Today --- our last running Ultra engine also shelled out. So now we have no working PG units whatsoever. ______ & I estimated the hours on both Ultras...probably over 1000 hours! ---- not bad for an original engine. So I ended up doing estimates the rest of today. We will be in MPLS tomorrow to pick up ___________. __________ & I can't wait. Thanks for all the input, _______.:usflag: