PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Low Voltage Lighting

NightLightingFX
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
This thread is a combination of special events lighting and indoor permanent indoor low voltage lighting. I know James can give me some good advice. As I mentioned in the “Wedding Special Events Thread,” I have a great opportunity to work with a very good special event coordinator. As they are decorating their new location, I am now experimenting with some accent lighting. (This is REALLY FUN - I am experimenting with different colored lens – They wanted a sunset scene with a bunch of palm tree props – I nailed it with pink and orange lens). Without trying to get into to much detail about the layout of the facility, they have a bunch of booths with different themes. Besides using my flexible outdoor lighting fixtures, there are some situations where I would like to do down lighting with your basic indoor track/cable low voltage. I have never installed an indoor low voltage lighting system. What are the hidden differences between an outdoor low voltage system and an indoor low voltage system, that an outdoor low voltage lighting guy like myself might miss. What should I be aware of so I don’t have too many complications in installing an indoor low voltage system. I want the most economical / plain looking track / cable fixtures available.

Also, Tim
I looked into your round “J” box idea. Thanks for the tip. I modified your idea a little. I didn’t use the whole “J” box. I just used the round lids. The heavier ones work fine without using the whole “J” box. They work like the Unique stands. They just aren’t quite as classy looking or as heavy.
~Ned

pete scalia
04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
This thread is a combination of special events lighting and indoor permanent indoor low voltage lighting. I know James can give me some good advice. As I mentioned in the “Wedding Special Events Thread,” I have a great opportunity to work with a very good special event coordinator. As they are decorating their new location, I am now experimenting with some accent lighting. (This is REALLY FUN - I am experimenting with different colored lens – They wanted a sunset scene with a bunch of palm tree props – I nailed it with pink and orange lens). Without trying to get into to much detail about the layout of the facility, they have a bunch of booths with different themes. Besides using my flexible outdoor lighting fixtures, there are some situations where I would like to do down lighting with your basic indoor track/cable low voltage. I have never installed an indoor low voltage lighting system. What are the hidden differences between an outdoor low voltage system and an indoor low voltage system, that an outdoor low voltage lighting guy like myself might miss. What should I be aware of so I don’t have too many complications in installing an indoor low voltage system. I want the most economical / plain looking track / cable fixtures available.

Also, Tim
I looked into your round “J” box idea. Thanks for the tip. I modified your idea a little. I didn’t use the whole “J” box. I just used the round lids. The heavier ones work fine without using the whole “J” box. They work like the Unique stands. They just aren’t quite as classy looking or as heavy.
~Ned

If your installing wire in walls you'd better use the right type and make sure your licensed properly for it and check with the city about pulling permits . You might also want to check your insurance policy to see if you're covered. Indoor and Outdoor 2 different animals with different sets of challenges and safety requirements.
Regarding those tracklights they are typically 120v wired with integral 12v transformer so just the fact that your asking makes me believe your not a licensed electrician.

NightLightingFX
04-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Nope,
I am not an electrician. I can design the layout but I will need to have an electrician install the main line connection. I will install everything that doesn't need an electrician.
~Ned

NightLightingFX
04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
There are alot of walls with no ceiling that has plug in recepticals on the top of the wall. We probably won't have to have wires in the walls etc.
~Ned

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Ned. if you are talking about a temporary installation then I would invest in quality track and heads if this is the way you really want to go. Also, don't use the line voltage stuff as you will have to have an EC do the install every time. The quality manu's all make remotely powered track systems. Essentially like outdoor lighting with a transformer powering heavy ga. cable to feed the tracks. The track heads are a lot smaller as there is not a trans. on ever unit.

That being said, track is NOT stage lighting. It is not intended to be assembled and then dis-assembled and then re-assembled again. You will find a lot of issues if you plan on using a track system in this fashion. The connectors will be the first to fail, then the heads.

If you want to get into permanent residential interior lighting design/installation, that is a different animal. Feel free to call me directly about that.

Have a great day.