PDA

View Full Version : Going out on a limb...first post

MulchMan88
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
First off, tough crowd on this forum. I'm part of a truck site and this place is pretty rough compared to the truck place.

I've been reading this place for about a month now, and I've got to say, a lot of you guys know your stuff (or sound like it). I have been searching for a place to get some useful info for quite some time so I was glad I found a site.

I'm not gonna sit here like I've noticed a lot of people do and be one of those "I'm gonna start a landscaping company wtf do I do?" people. I worked for a guy for about a year, and after he left, I kind of picked up where he left off. I do not consider myself a "professional landscaper" by any means. I'm 19, and been doing this stuff on my own for about 2 years now.

My equipment is not the greatest either, but it gets the job done. I have 4 regular accounts, plus a ton of "one and done" jobs. I work 30+ hours at a store here in Richmond, so this is not my full time job.

I'll go ahead and list my equipment anyway, either though I'll probably get called out on it:

Craftsman 21'' mower
Craftsman 4 cycle trimmer with brush cutter and pole saw attachments
Stihl BR 550 Blower
Crap load of Hand tools, tarps, wheel barrows, etc.

Yea, I've got some upgrading to do. My goal is to have a 36 WB by the end of the summer.

I drive a 97 F150, which is my baby. I also just bought a 6x12 open trailer. I'll have pictures up shortly of the truck and trailer (maybe tomorrow)

Just throwin myself out there. I dont plan on asking 30 questions a day. I've got my pricing down pretty good, and no, im not cutting lawns for 20 bucks. I'm sure the first thing yall are gonna ask is "Are you licensed and insured?" And I have an answer. As of right now, I am not. However, I have called the county office, and they are aware of what I'm doing, and they said since I'm small, to just come in when I can and fill an app out, and other than that I'm fine. As far as insurance, I'm also in the process of setting that up too.

Good luck to all you companies out there this season.

Paulup
04-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Looks like you've got a pretty good start on things bud, good luck to ya.

lawnwizards
04-02-2008, 11:37 PM
welcome to lawnsite. :waving:

Carolina Cuts
04-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Get lost!

:laugh:

Welcome to the forum.... and good luck to you this upcoming season... feel free to ask anything, just don't give me the ammo to mock ya.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Good luck, sounds like you are heading in the right derection. FWIW, you started with a lot better equipment than I started did.

UtahGrassBust
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
hey whats up

just keep a paper trail of everything and you'll be fine, contracts too!

hackitdown
04-03-2008, 06:46 AM
It looks like you have things well in hand. Do you plan to grow larger and handle more business? Are you doing any advertising?

flhntr
04-03-2008, 09:01 AM
good luck sound like your head in the right direction

SLR
04-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Tough crowd ?....................just one thing to say to that...

Bwaaahahaha..

MulchMan88
04-03-2008, 02:59 PM
yea, I've put out some flyers, not many though. I live in a huge subdivision, and as part of the rules your not allowed to put flyers in peoples boxes and stuff, and since i live in the subdivision and my name is on the flyer, I (or my parents) would get in trouble. I have business cards too that I have been handing out to people, realtors and such. I work at a grocery store, so whenever I stop and talk to people, I always give them one of my cards. I going to order some magnetic signs for my truck within the week too.

Surprisingly, I've been getting ALL my calls from one source, and thats craigslist. I know I know, It was a cheap way to go, but i decided to give it a shot and it has got me more business that the other things. I setup some BS with this elocal listings website, but that hasnt done anything, so I'm canceling it soon.

I hope to grow, but not too much, as i do plan to go back to school. Id like to have between 10-15 lawn accounts for the summer, so we'll see. Im having to turn down a lot of people because they live 20-30 minutes away, and its not worth it to drive all the way out somewhere for one job. If i could make it worth it, I'd do it though.

Frue
04-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Watch investing in something you are not fully dedicated to. You said you may be going to school.

Here is what I would do if I was you, Buy a toro proline 21 and line up a bunch of small push mow 15-20 dollar lots. This will keep your cost low in case you decide to dip from this current field...... Bigger is not always better but it is def more exspensive...............

MulchMan88
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Yea Frue, I have given a lot of thought as to continuing this or not. Like I said, I'm not a big company by any means right now, so I feel i can manage with going to school and doing this. I'm PLANNING (big word there) to come back on the weekends to do the lawns, until about mid november. I tried to have someone take care of my jobs last year, and it just didnt work out. a lot of it was the person who was doing it. I feel if i found a better person, it would work out. I've still got some things to work out, and I'm hopin for the best.

Detroitdan
04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
First off, tough crowd on this forum. I'm part of a truck site and this place is pretty rough compared to the truck place.

That's certainly true, I've noticed the same thing myself. Not that there aren't a lot of nice people here willing to offer good advice, but it seems like there is a higher percentage of people just look to shoot you down, or make smartass comments that add no value to the conversation.
Oh well, maybe it was a long winter for some people and they are going a little stir-crazy waiting to start cutting.

MulchMan88
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
here is the thread i started for the pictures of the truck and trailer.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2259916#post2259916

mngrassguy
04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Do NOTHING until you have insurance. One problem and you and your parents could lose it all.

Collect and pay sales tax from the start. It's hard to pay fines and back taxes after the fact.

Most of all, good luck!!!