PDA

View Full Version : what to do

ein999
04-03-2008, 01:49 AM
im in a not so good position. i want to begin wowing lawns but have no money to begin with.

i said to myself that i was not going to borrow money ever again. i would have to borrow from family. I have a trimmer blower and 21" honda but that doesnt seem like its going to work or be enough in so many words. Im broke and I also have no customers to top it off. Thats my straight words.

Im not in a great position. I get a little drained doing this type of work but im going to give it a tri. Hard work will get you drained but thats how the cookie crumbles i guess.

:(

Paulup
04-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Borrow some gas money and go door knocking. Worst case scenario you'll find a handful of people willing to pay you 25-30 bucks to push mow their yard and do the weed eating, and can bring in a few hundred bucks to give yourself a real start. You aren't broke if you have access to a mower, you just need to get out there and put it to work.

Raven386
04-03-2008, 01:54 AM
you have a mower,trimmer,and blower. what are you waiting for? nows the time to start getting your name out there. go to vistaprint.com and get 250 bus. cards for free, shipping is under $10. pass them out, go door-to-door and try and get some customers.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
04-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Get A Job , Work For Someone Hard 2 Start In This Buss. With No Money And Yards Hard 2 Come By This Year........

ein999
04-04-2008, 11:27 PM
getting a job and working hard didnt work for me i think i need to borrow and start with a 60" mower not a 21".

LwnmwrMan22
04-04-2008, 11:44 PM
getting a job and working hard didnt work for me i think i need to borrow and start with a 60" mower not a 21".

I hope you're a troll.

If you think this isn't going to be harder than getting a job for someone else, then ...............

ALC-GregH
04-04-2008, 11:46 PM
your not going to get anywhere with that mindset.

ein999
04-05-2008, 12:01 AM
why? you think i should go push lawns with a 21" mower when i can do ten times the work in little time. i think 85% of the people on here are not using a 21" why should i. Why should i have to spend more time doing something life is not long enough to spend a year building business. i mean i dont mind doing it on small lawns but 1/2 acre and up ell be spining wheels dont you agree.

Big C
04-05-2008, 12:07 AM

Why do you feel you need a 60" mower..with no customers and obviously no clue...:confused:....do your homework....if you were serious you would take the equipment you have and use it......quit complaining :cry:and handle your business!!!

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2008, 12:07 AM
why? you think i should go push lawns with a 21" mower when i can do ten times the work in little time. i think 85% of the people on here are not using a 21" why should i. Why should i have to spend more time doing something life is not long enough to spend a year building business. i mean i dont mind doing it on small lawns but 1/2 acre and up ell be spining wheels dont you agree.

But why stop at a 60"??

Don't you also need a new diesel truck with airconditioning?? This way not only can you get to the lawns faster, but you'll be cooled down so you can do them more efficiently.

Also, since you're already going to borrow the money, might as well get a 28' enclosed trailer, so you can haul 2 ZTRs, in case one breaks, plus a 36" walk behind to get into gated back yards, as well as a couple of 21" mowers so you can get into even tighter spaces.

Also, you'll have enough room to carry a Ride-on spreader/sprayer, so you can do your fertilizing and spraying at the same time you're there to service the other stuff on the property, doing it faster, with less expense, since you don't have to make another trip.

After all, it's just borrowing a little money.

ein999
04-05-2008, 01:07 AM
all i need is a 10x6 trailer and a used dixie chopper. i dont need a diesel and air. and i dont need an enclosed trailer. :confused:

Carolina Cuts
04-05-2008, 01:09 AM
I like him, he's funny.

lawnprosteveo
04-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Mow with a 21 just until you get 20 yards. Then, if you have decent credit and are not swimming in debt already, buy a reasonable mower.

I think its unwise to buy an $8000 mower when you dont have even 1 customer. Just my 2 cents.

CFB
04-05-2008, 01:25 AM
I get a little drained doing this type of work but im going to give it a tri. Hard work will get you drained but thats how the cookie crumbles i guess.

This is all I needed to know. You have a little chance to succeed imo. Sounds like you don't want to get a job, you don't want to work. You want to mow a few lawns...enough to keep you alive and being a bum.

If you are serious there is no way in hell you need a 60z.

jdmcat
04-05-2008, 01:34 AM
your profile says you've been in business 4 years, yet you are just thinking about starting and you have no customers?? My suggestion... get on welfare.

ein999
04-05-2008, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=KJones;2253018]This is all I needed to know. You have a little chance to succeed imo. Sounds like you don't want to get a job, you don't want to work. You want to mow a few lawns...enough to keep you alive and being a bum.

i dont need 8-10k mower and im not a bum and i have no problems with work.
all i need is a 8-900 trailer and a 3k mower. ive seen them for less. how can you mow lawns with a 21" and your calling me a bum. If you call me a bum i will be one but only in your eyes not mine.

ein999
04-05-2008, 01:37 AM
i used to be in lawncare for 3 years and i let it all go now going back to do it again on smaller scale.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-05-2008, 01:38 AM

Dude, get realistic here. With no clientèle, what on earth is a $10,000 mower gonna do for you? Seriously! It sounds like you wouldn't even manage to break even by the end of the season!!

Whereas, if you start small, you already have what you need.

I would wager that most of us started small. I sure did. 1975 Ford F150, Toro 21", Ryobi string trimmer, and a Featherlite blower. No A/C. No trailer. No business cards. Door to door fliers and off I went. All because I didn't want debt, either.

Now, 6 years later I gross 6 figures single handedly and have a little bit nicer equipment. I'm not the biggest or richest guy here, but I do just fine and still don't own a 60" mower.

Quit whining and go find some clients.

ein999
04-05-2008, 01:44 AM
one more thing im leaving out is that i dont know if i want to stay here in michigan for ever so im relenting having to build the hard way. i wouldnt mind it if i lived where i want to settle. that is one of my main goals. So putting effort and investment into semewhere where i might not reside in. To be truthful with you i could probably run circles around a lot of people when it comes to doing labor work but i dont need to brag about it but if you want i can elaborate.

S.A.L.
04-05-2008, 01:45 AM
im in a not so good position. i want to begin wowing lawns but have no money to begin with.

Thats my straight words.

I get a little drained doing this type of work but im going to give it a tri.

You're so cute and clueless.
1. Stay in school.
2. Get hired by an LCO.
3. Earn a clue.
4. Slowly build your business to the point you can support yourself
while breaking away from your employer.
:usflag:

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-05-2008, 01:45 AM
one more thing im leaving out is that i dont know if i want to stay here in michigan for ever so im relenting having to build the hard way. i wouldnt mind it if i lived where i want to settle. that is one of my main goals. So putting effort and investment into semewhere where i might not reside in. To be truthful with you i could probably run circles around a lot of people when it comes to doing labor work but i dont need to brag about it but if you want i can elaborate.

Ha. At this point no one would believe a word you said.

ein999
04-05-2008, 01:52 AM
If you dont belive it dont bother posting on my thread. go elsewhere use your time on being helping.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-05-2008, 01:53 AM
And what help are you wanting? Sounds more like you're waiting for someone to tell you what YOU want to hear, as opposed to actually taking our advice.

S.A.L.
04-05-2008, 01:54 AM
To be truthful with you i could probably run circles around a lot of people when it comes to doing labor work

but i dont need to brag about it

but if you want i can elaborate.

A. You've contradicted yourself sweetie. Re-read your first post. :hammerhead:

B. You're right; you don't. :dizzy:

C. Please, spare us the elaboration. :sleeping:

Best wishes, Homes.

ein999
04-05-2008, 02:05 AM
yeah I'm going to cut 10 acres with that 21" and spend all day doing it and More gas to top it off. You guys were right all along. I need the exercise. I need to go door to door and polish up on my verbal and vocabulary.

To be honest i dont feel like busting my ass all summer to make just enough to buy equipment when spring is 2-3 weeks away. I feel like im loosing the game hear. But you all are right ill have to do it. I wont be cutting no 2-3 acre lots though will i.:confused:

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-05-2008, 02:16 AM
No, you won't be doing the big ones. But that's okay. Quite frankly, for me, the smaller the lawns, the more profitable they are. If you set yourself a minimum - say $25 to $30 per lawn - and then find little yards that take half an hour each with your equipment, you're doing great. It only takes a few lawns a day to make the money you would working for someone else.

My first year I made better money than my previous job and I only worked about 14 hours per week!!

Just get out there and do it! You're right, spring is here! So go meet people. Get people on board! Then offer them one free mowing for every neighbor/family member/friend who uses you, too!!

Then just be reliable, do the best work you reasonably can, and never cut corners. You do these things and you'll be successful.

jeffex
04-05-2008, 08:04 AM
my full time job is a mailman. I have a lawn business and a powerwashing business as well. Thats my background but what I want to tell you is about a kid on my route who inspired ME to add mowing to what I do. He got permission to use his mothers lawn equipment and went door to door one spring and got several customers the first spring. he put his equipment in his trunk and did some great work. He kept knocking on doors and eventually wound up with 30 customers in his area. He bought a junk truck the next year and a used walkbehind. By his third year he borrowed money to get a trailer and lazer and by the end of that year he had paid it off. He eventually had 2 lazers and several w/b s and over 100 customers. He talked wityh me all the time about business and he put himself through college for business admin. He liked the way I had the best of both worlds and got a full time job and kept 1/2 his cutomers and sold the other half. He NOW lives in a house in the neighborhood where he started cutting and is married with his 1st kid. The bottom line is his success didn't come to him ... he went after it

Charles
04-05-2008, 08:31 AM
This is just turning into a argument. So its closed