scweedman
04-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Didn't know if you guys have seen this?
www.northernturfequipment.com

RAlmaroad
04-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Sweedman: Where have you been? That unit is sweet. Looks very rugged.
Roy

scweedman
04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Working! If you watch the video i was thinking the opposite.

Shades of Green LService
04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Definitely has some cool features. I would probably go z-spray before i bought one of these. Also, That frame looks a little cheesy.

scweedman
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I just don't think it will hold to fert daily

NJT
04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Wheelbase seems a little narrow. Other than that, doesn't look too bad. Anyone have a price on one of these? Comparable to PG and Z?

Terraformer
04-03-2008, 11:41 AM

What's not to like - Honda engine, Spyker electric spreader, and Peerless transmission. I'm less than 2 hours from them. I've asked for pricing and a facitlity tour. I'll post my findings.

scweedman
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Sounds good terraformer let us know

Terraformer
04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
What's not to like - Honda engine, Spyker electric spreader, and Peerless transmission. I'm less than 2 hours from them. I've asked for pricing and a facitlity tour. I'll post my findings.

I got a reply from the factory. They want me to go through a WI based dealer. I contacted that dealer and learned they won't have any units until sometime next week. I did find out the base price is around $8700.00. The dealer also told me they will have some promo/intro pricing that will be $1000 - 1300 less.

scweedman
04-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Sounds good lets us know any new details

americanlawn
04-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I see gear one, gear two, gear three. Is it hydrostatic? What's up with the gear shifting? I like the Spyker 220 feature.

scweedman
04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
It sure seems fast in the video something that would be nice.

no_longer_lurker
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
you can buy direct from Northern Turf, though they want to sell to dealers.
they do have the units ready for shipment
$8650.

Thats a couple of grand higher than PG? (what is the going price for the magnum?)

This Northern Turf unit has a nice spray system. 3 seperate noozles and 3 seperate pumps.
I like the motorcycle style throttle.

Everything can be operated without taking either hand off handlebars (another good feature)

We run PG's (ours are ancient and we've made a ton of our own modifications on them) and we have Z-spray walk behind units as well (clumbsy and awkward to operate...not a big fan, in fact anyone interested in purchasing a couple, or just one, slightly used Z walk behind send me a PM)

Back to the Northen Turf unit.....bit expensive in my opinion for what you get

sclawndr
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I see gear one, gear two, gear three. Is it hydrostatic? What's up with the gear shifting? I like the Spyker 220 feature.

Not a hydro. I talked to the company and this machine may be worth a closer look. The price is high but if it's well designed and built, it would be worth it. I've gotten my money's worth from my PG Magnum but I doubt I'll buy another one.

Shades of Green LService
04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Not sure how many they'll sell at that price. Not w/ Z spray juniors having most the same features and hydro dual lever controls. Alo costing over 2Grand more than a magnum. My Magnum cost me $5,595. So if i bought this machine it would cost me $3,105 more than my magnum;)
Now what ever happened to the BLACK PEARL? That looked like it had some real possibilities. Maybe that's the mystery TURFCO machine....Hmmm

Terraformer
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm no expert... just in the market for a ride-on spreader/sprayer. That said, I don't believe a comparison between the PG Magnum and the SS220 is a good one. For instance, the PG Magnum doesn't even come close to the spreader and sprayer capacities of the SS220. It appears a better comparison would be between the Z-Spray junior and the SS220. Since I don't know what a Z-Spray junior costs, I guess I'm going have to give them a call to see if they are price comparable. Does anyone online, tonight, know what a junior goes for?

sprayboy
04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Junior goes for approx $7700.00 unless price has changed from early winter.

Real Green
04-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Not sure how many they'll sell at that price. Not w/ Z spray juniors having most the same features and hydro dual lever controls. Alo costing over 2Grand more than a magnum. My Magnum cost me $5,595. So if i bought this machine it would cost me $3,105 more than my magnum;)
Now what ever happened to the BLACK PEARL? That looked like it had some real possibilities. Maybe that's the mystery TURFCO machine....Hmmm

Trust me Shades of Green, the Black Pearl is definitely not the mystery Turfco machine. When we (myself, AmericanLawn, Rcreech, FDlawn) go next week, we will check and see when we can report back to you guys.

Runner
04-04-2008, 12:30 PM
This is the same unit they were selling out of the Northern Tool catalog a year or two ago. I saw the "SS" emblem, and I thought HEY! they are wising up and finally doing these in stainless! Nope.... Just tubular steel. Give it two seasons, and it's shot. You'll have a nice engine, tranny, and pumps for parts. I DO like the idea of the motorcycle grip throttle, and have been thinking of doing this with my PG.

I did find out the base price is around $8700.00. The dealer also told me they will have some promo/intro pricing that will be $1000 - 1300 less.
They have GOT to be kidding! It sounds like they need to put some serious work into their production costs and overhead, because this price is WAY out in outerspace for this unit.:rolleyes:

You guys want to see an awesome unit, wait until you see what David has developed (in the works) over at Lawn Solutions. This machine will be state of the art and like NO other ride on sprayer out there. For what all this machine will do, and the capabilities it has, the cost will be VERY reasonable...This is part of his marketing strategy for this machine, as well, I believe.

Shades of Green LService
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Trust me Shades of Green, the Black Pearl is definitely not the mystery Turfco machine. When we (myself, AmericanLawn, Rcreech, FDlawn) go next week, we will check and see when we can report back to you guys.

look forward to hearing that report. The turfco comment was actually tounge and cheek.

You guys want to see an awesome unit, wait until you see what David has developed (in the works) over at Lawn Solutions. This machine will be state of the art and like NO other ride on sprayer out there. For what all this machine will do, and the capabilities it has, the cost will be VERY reasonable...This is part of his marketing strategy for this machine, as well, I believe.
Great, another mystery machine.:) Seems like in a few years we'll have quite a few choices as far as equipment goes. Maybe pricing will be more reasonable with more choices out there.

sclawndr
04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
This is the same unit they were selling out of the Northern Tool catalog a year or two ago. I saw the "SS" emblem, and I thought HEY! they are wising up and finally doing these in stainless! Nope.... Just tubular steel. Give it two seasons, and it's shot. You'll have a nice engine, tranny, and pumps for parts. I DO like the idea of the motorcycle grip throttle, and have been thinking of doing this with my PG.

They have GOT to be kidding! It sounds like they need to put some serious work into their production costs and overhead, because this price is WAY out in outerspace for this unit.:rolleyes:

No, this isn't the same machine you saw in a catalog. The SS220 is all stainless. Price is relative to quality - if it's good, it'll be well worth it.

Don't drink the Lawn Solutions Koolaid just yet. David is a great guy and he builds an excellent seeder but it's a big leap from that to a spreader. They were showing an early version at GIE last year and trust me, they have a long way to go.

no_longer_lurker
04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
is Northern Tool and
Northern Turf Equipment the same company?

I'm actually seriously thinking its time I built a unit. in fact I got plans to begin this fall. with the machines available today (some are real disapointments, some are promising but still not available and all are over priced)
Its time someone who has worked in the field for a very long time puts together a machine. Taking into account all comments both possitive and negative from users of the machines on the market today and building an useful piece of equipment that is affordable and durable and suitable for all lawns, not just the big lawns, not just the lawns without hills, not just the lawns that have zero obsticles to manuver around.

sclawndr
04-04-2008, 09:33 PM
is Northern Tool and
Northern Turf Equipment the same company?

No, they're not related.

I'm actually seriously thinking its time I built a unit. in fact I got plans to begin this fall. with the machines available today (some are real disapointments, some are promising but still not available and all are over priced)
Its time someone who has worked in the field for a very long time puts together a machine. Taking into account all comments both possitive and negative from users of the machines on the market today and building an useful piece of equipment that is affordable and durable and suitable for all lawns, not just the big lawns, not just the lawns without hills, not just the lawns that have zero obsticles to manuver around.

The guys who built the PermaGreen, Black Pearl and Northern SS220 were all applicators who had the same thought. Guess everyone thinks they can build a better mousetrap. Good luck.

RigglePLC
04-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Anybody got a ride-on you want to give away? Really! Michigan State University Hancock Turfgrass Research Center would like one. They want to do applications to experimental plots. Also want to and study and teach how to calibrate for better accuracy.

no_longer_lurker
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
The guys who built the PermaGreen, Black Pearl and Northern SS220 were all applicators who had the same thought. Guess everyone thinks they can build a better mousetrap. Good luck.

true enough. and they pioneered the ride on error

now its time to perfect it

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-05-2008, 01:19 AM
we have Z-spray walk behind units as well (clumbsy and awkward to operate...not a big fan, in fact anyone interested in purchasing a couple, or just one, slightly used Z walk behind send me a PM)

Ha ha!!! Nice sales pitch!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

no_longer_lurker
04-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Ha ha!!! Nice sales pitch!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

hmmmm, what I MEANT to say was that the Z walk behind is the cat's meow. Very easy to operate and just a fantastic piece of equipment
(we just happen to have two if anyone would like to own a very slightly used Z walkbehind, one with just 20 hours on it)

heh heh heh

ever see the TV commercial.... a car is on fire, fire department on the sceen.
Then you see words being typed for an ad...Used car for sale, minor smoke damage.... then you see the backspacing to remove "minor smoke damage" and it is repalced with 'this car is HOT'

:rolleyes:

tommy turf
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Anybody got a ride-on you want to give away? Really! Michigan State University Hancock Turfgrass Research Center would like one. They want to do applications to experimental plots. Also want to and study and teach how to calibrate for better accuracy.

Who is the contact person at msu regarding the ride on?

billyc
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
a little off the subject here, but where is this new sprayer that ameria-something keeps talking about. heard a few guys are trying them

RigglePLC
04-10-2008, 09:01 PM
From the Michigan Turfgrass Foundation News Notes spring 2008.

"The [Hancock] Turfgrass Center is looking for a ride on fertilizer spreader. This would be used as another piece of equipment in our fertilizer calibration class. It would also be used to fertilize some of the areas of the turf center. If you have one that still works and would like to donate it to the turf center give me a call."

Call the center director Mark Collins at 517-353-3117

LawnSolutionsCP
05-13-2008, 10:07 PM
No, this isn't the same machine you saw in a catalog. The SS220 is all stainless. Price is relative to quality - if it's good, it'll be well worth it.

Don't drink the Lawn Solutions Koolaid just yet. David is a great guy and he builds an excellent seeder but it's a big leap from that to a spreader. They were showing an early version at GIE last year and trust me, they have a long way to go.

That ride-on spreader you saw at the EXPO in 2007 is going to sell for around $3,000 w/ hydro drive and was built just days before the EXPO or the night before for the outdoor unit. We were asked to build a ride-on spreader and what we had at the EXPO was built the week of the show. No too bad for only a few days worth of work... This is going to be our basic entry level machine. We have changed a few thing, but still pretty much the same machine that was at the EXPO.

We have another machine that we are working on that will wow everyone and truely be unique and unlike anything else on the market. It is designed for performance, performance, and performance...yes it will be expensive but you get what you pay for.

kbrashears
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
We have another machine that we are working on that will wow everyone and truely be unique and unlike anything else on the market. It is designed for performance, performance, and performance...yes it will be expensive but you get what you pay for.
Where have I heard that before?

sprayboy
05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Great,

Another magical mystery machine.
I cannot wait, how long on this one?

1 year or 2?

PHS
05-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Tired of mystery machines too. I've worked in R & D in another industry for a long time, there's always something new on the drawing board, there's no mystery to that. Smart companies keep it under their hat until they actually have something ready to go and then release it a month or two ahead of time to create some buzz before the official release. Makes people feel like they're "in the know". Letting the cat out of the bag a year or more ahead of time like in this case is not very smart. Gives your competitors plenty of time to figure out what you're up to and develop their own competitive products. Believe me, if we all know Turfco has something up their sleave all his competitiors know what they're building too. "Top secret" doesn't stay that way very long blabbing about it on the internet :).

ted putnam
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Tired of mystery machines too. I've worked in R & D in another industry for a long time, there's always something new on the drawing board, there's no mystery to that. Smart companies keep it under their hat until they actually have something ready to go and then release it a month or two ahead of time to create some buzz before the official release. Makes people feel like they're "in the know". Letting the cat out of the bag a year or more ahead of time like in this case is not very smart. Gives your competitors plenty of time to figure out what you're up to and develop their own competitive products. Believe me, if we all know Turfco has something up their sleave all his competitiors know what they're building too. "Top secret" doesn't stay that way very long blabbing about it on the internet :).

All excellent points. Well said!

americanlawn
05-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks PHS. Well said. And I understand peoples' frustration not being able to view pics & specs of the new TURFCO unit. We bought the first one. Since then many others have been sold. We've used ours for just over a month. Now we want another one. Today (May 14) it sprayed 670,000 sq ft. Keep in mind that this job was weed control only (no fert), but my guy that runs it brings in nearly twice the production on a daily basis (spread & spray) compared to the rest of my guys. Last week, I showed this new machine to 3 different LCO's. The word is getting around for sure (especially via this fine site). We tried pretty much every kind of ride-on, and we were almost ready to buy one or two Z-Sprays, but at the last minute, we had the chance to demo the T3000. That was all she wrote.

We have tried really hard to pick apart this machine and find flaws, but it has been very difficult to find any. Many of our accounts where a ride-on was not appropriate now can be treated with this unit. (that's why we need another one).

I understand that news about this new T3000 will be available within a few short weeks. Hang in there guys --- the wait will be worth it.

Tired of mystery machines too. I've worked in R & D in another industry for a long time, there's always something new on the drawing board, there's no mystery to that. Smart companies keep it under their hat until they actually have something ready to go and then release it a month or two ahead of time to create some buzz before the official release. Makes people feel like they're "in the know". Letting the cat out of the bag a year or more ahead of time like in this case is not very smart. Gives your competitors plenty of time to figure out what you're up to and develop their own competitive products. Believe me, if we all know Turfco has something up their sleeve all his competitiors know what they're building too. "Top secret" doesn't stay that way very long blabbing about it on the internet :).

humble1
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Definitely has some cool features. I would probably go z-spray before i bought one of these. Also, That frame looks a little cheesy.

what you said:clapping:

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-15-2008, 01:14 AM
It's a hovercraft, right?

PHS
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
American,
Yeah I'm not knocking you, you're just doing what they asked. That's the right thing to do. I just think what the company is doing is silly but it's good for me as a consumer. A unique high quality unit drives up the price. If other companies know what's going on they have the time to develop their own units with competitive features, that naturally moderates what Turfco can charge for their unit reduces their ability to gain market share. Maybe this unit is so good it will blow the doors off everyone regardless but the longer they play grab a$$ with this thing the less likely that is to happen

ted putnam
05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
American,
Yeah I'm not knocking you, you're just doing what they asked. That's the right thing to do. I just think what the company is doing is silly but it's good for me as a consumer. A unique high quality unit drives up the price. If other companies know what's going on they have the time to develop their own units with competitive features, that naturally moderates what Turfco can charge for their unit reduces their ability to gain market share. Maybe this unit is so good it will blow the doors off everyone regardless but the longer they play grab a$$ with this thing the less likely that is to happen

Ditto on each and every point! Again,well said!