PDA

View Full Version : Less toxic Herbicide? help!

hobbsd
04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know of some less toxic herbicides for broadleaf?

I know Eliminate doesn't have 2-4-d but are there any low toxicity but effective broadleaf killers?

thanks!

pinto n mwr
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
so mixing a 2-4-d product at 1.3oz to maybe 3.0oz per gal is too toxic?
Check your MSDS sheets on the products you use. You'll probably find that in a concentrated form the product needed is ALOT more than what anyone would be exposed to in their lifetime. I could give you all the information on all products out there but why... Do some investigating and you will find your answer.

hobbsd
04-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm not saying that 2-4-d is especially toxic,

I am just looking for a less toxic herbicide!

Frank Fescue
04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know of some less toxic herbicides for broadleaf?

I know Eliminate doesn't have 2-4-d but are there any low toxicity but effective broadleaf killers?

thanks!

:rolleyes:

greendoctor
04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Metsulfuron and Quicksilver are good if you do not want to apply phenoxy herbicides. Be very careful of surrounding trees and shrubs. Metsulfuron is normally a pasture and IVM herbicide because of what it does to trees and woody vegetation. It will wipe out fescue and ryegrass so I do not know if this is a viable option. I do all warm season grasses except for bahia, another grass that is damaged by metsulfuron, so turf tolerance is good in my location.

RigglePLC
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I agree, Quicksilver, It is very fast acting and very low toxicity. At least a hundred times less toxic than Weed-b-gone. And you only need about an ounce per acre. You could eat an acre of grass and still not reach the danger point. Octane and Dismiss are similar.

And if you spot spray--you will use about a hundred times less product per acre --depending on how many weeds you have per acre.

Also Triclopyr (Turflon-D) is a new chemistry type from the 90's-- low toxicity, almost no odor, water clear.

greendoctor
04-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Call me cautious, but I will avoid phenoxy herbicides on lawns that dogs live on most of the time. I am not talking about the ones who only go outside for necessities, I mean the ones that have free run of the back lawn all day long. For those lawns, I will use the above mix of metsulfuron + Quicksilver, Certainty or Image if the target weeds are susceptible. After all, the dog does not have rubber boots on its feet like how I do if I am treating or otherwise walking on a lawn with 2,4-D. By no means am I a chemical nazi or environmentalist, but it is common sense to me not to expose man's best friend to something with a known history of problems. I know, not guilty of causing cancer. OJ and Gary Condit were also not found guilty.

hobbsd
04-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Metsulfuron and Quicksilver are good if you do not want to apply phenoxy herbicides. Be very careful of surrounding trees and shrubs. Metsulfuron is normally a pasture and IVM herbicide because of what it does to trees and woody vegetation. It will wipe out fescue and ryegrass so I do not know if this is a viable option. I do all warm season grasses except for bahia, another grass that is damaged by metsulfuron, so turf tolerance is good in my location.

This sounded good, but after reading the label, they say that you need to put a full load of 2-4-d to conquer the most comon weeds.

SO I am now using 2 chem mixes instead of one????

greendoctor
04-08-2008, 01:11 AM
This sounded good, but after reading the label, they say that you need to put a full load of 2-4-d to conquer the most comon weeds.

SO I am now using 2 chem mixes instead of one????

Which label on what product. Both Blade and Manor will take out broadleaves at 1/2-1 oz per acre. On pastures and grainfields where the recomended rate of Ally is 1/4 oz or less, yes you will need a Banvel or 2,4-D addtion. Last year in October, I sprayed an acre that had mixed centipede and st augustine with 1/2 oz Blade and 1 oz Quicksilver. All of the weeds burned in 7 days and by the 4th week I was kicking dead taproots out of the ground. If I did Trimec or my favorite 2,4-D ester at that time on those grasses, the lawn would have been more damaged than the weeds. It was 90 and humid all month.

greendoctor
04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Eliminate and other Threeways that do not have 2,4-D use MCPA, a phenoxy herbicide that can have an LD 50 lower than 2,4-D. But most activists have never heard of MCPA, so it is ok by them. Also, MCPA has not been subjected to the reregistration process with the accusation that it is carcinogenic. Guilty or not guilty, does not matter to me, I will always protect myself, clients and their pets from exposure. Although it is tempting to give some sour faced onlookers attempting to stare me into not spraying a face full of 2,4-D ester.

mngrassguy
04-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Well said Doc, wish I could aford to hire you!!! LOL

hobbsd
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
so the quicksilver does kill dandelions, ground ivy, etc...???? its label does not show...

greendoctor
04-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Quicksilver is what I consider an adjuvant for slower acting systemic herbicides. By itself, it will burn the tops off and leave the roots intact on the tougher weeds. But because it damages leaf tissue, the systemics also tend to penetrate better. That is valuable with high molecular weight chemicals like the sulfonylureas(metsulfuron) and imidazoline(Image DG) herbicides. I love applying Quicksilver + Certainty to a purple nutsedge and kyllinga infested lawn, because my clients will see these noxious, hard to control weeds go down in one week instead of one month.