PDA

View Full Version : How Hard To Start Mid-Season

JMiller08
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey guys im looking to start a landscaping business but i am currently still in school untill the end of may and i also work 4 nights a week. I was wondering how difficult it would be to get in to the business at the beginning of june?

mobileboy
04-03-2008, 05:16 PM
it's easy. just gotta get out there and try, I started in Sept last year and got buried in 2 weeks.

JMiller08
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks man..how did you advertise?

Carolina Cuts
04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
no, personally I don't think it would be that EASY. 'Most' home owners are 'shopping' for lawn services March - May. Cuts starting in April-May.
'Most' home owners are signed up by the end of April - Mid May. If not contracted, then at least verbally contracted with a lawn service. The most you could hope for is the fly by nights bailing out and/or pissing some owners off causing the homeowner to look for someone else. Commercial work, forget it. Those contracts are usually signed by June.

Can it be done? Sure.
Will it be easy? No.

CreativeEdge
04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree with carolina cuts, you will be able to get some accounts and hopefully enough to cover costs of your equipment unless you already have some. This season will be good for you in the long run by getting your name out there. More than likely the customers that you get mid season will stay w/ you for next if you provide them good work. It will not be easy, but a start is a start, you will still be 6 mo farther along than the guys that start next spring.

lawnkingforever
04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
When I started a couple years back, it was in July. Getting business will be tough and you will have to take what you can get. But it will be a good learning expirence. I am glad I started during that time, because I only had to live with my mistakes for only a few months instead of a whole season. During that short season, I learned alot about bidding on yards, what equipment I needed, and what advertising and areas I wanted to focus on for the next year.

JMiller08
04-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys..what do you think would be a good way to advertise in the middle of the season?

Carolina Cuts
04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Flyers, newpaper, biz cards....
continuous advertisement is the best advertisement. I never do it, but I should.

JMiller08
04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Im thinking of doing door hangers any suggestions on where to get them fairly cheap?

Carolina Cuts
04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
I get all my stuff from gotprint.com
pretty fast, good quality, inexpensive.
Think I got 5000 4x6 full color postcards for $160- or something last year.

Customers loved them.... durable, small enough to hang on the fridge.
I was getting calls last year 3 months after I sent em' out... customers said they kept them for future reference. So they worked out well for me.

schunklawn
04-03-2008, 10:42 PM
when i started it was in June and i did a flyer that said "mid-season deals" and put a basic promo on it that said first cut free or end the season with half price fert., etc. you do what your market will handle and/or fall for. i did well this is type of format for my flyer. i did in return take some jobs that i was not looking for, but i managed to stay busy and make some net dollars. the tides have turned and i am doing very well for myself and have not looked back nor had any regret for starting in the middle of the season

No Bunk Lawn Care