PDA

View Full Version : Just made about 30 phone calls to local businesses

JeffNY
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
about twenty of them would like for me to submit a bid. I never expected that, I just made alot of work for myself. I've never written a bid before, and never quoted anyones lawns.
I really don't want to screw myself here by lowballing everything. This isn't easy.
Wish me luck. I plan on calling about 50 more places tmr.

CLARK LAWN
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
so you are saying that you have no experience and you are going to try to go bid commercial properties?

JeffNY
04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Gotta start a few somewhere, commercial wise. I've done residential already, just feels like commercial bids are a slightly bigger step

Tider6972
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Know your costs, know what you want to profit, what's the problem??

Look the areas over carefully: trash? traffic? parked cars? low to the ground windows? ...those kind of things must be considered and priced.

They're just like individuals, cost conscious - and many LCOs work cheaper - I won't.

DrGreenThumb
04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
about twenty of them would like for me to submit a bid. I never expected that, I just made alot of work for myself. I've never written a bid before, and never quoted anyones lawns.
I really don't want to screw myself here by lowballing everything. This isn't easy.
Wish me luck. I plan on calling about 50 more places tmr.

Why don't you handle what you have now and try getting more later you should be able to land at leas 3 of the properties that you have to make bids on, good luck.

Frue
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
This is a no brainer just be cheaper then the last guy you will get every account. Commercial is the easiest thing in the world to get. If the last guy was 25 a cut just say 20 its yours. Have fun bidding these cheap places and adding all the extra insurances needed to land them as they except the cheapest price with the most insurances requirments.:hammerhead:

P.Services
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
This is a no brainer just be cheaper then the last guy you will get every account. Commercial is the easiest thing in the world to get. If the last guy was 25 a cut just say 20 its yours. Have fun bidding these cheap places and adding all the extra insurances needed to land them as they except the cheapest price with the most insurances requirments.:hammerhead:

that is a 100% accurate statement, the only way to beat that is when someone who really cares about service and quality is in charge but for the most part commercials only care about the price.

JeffNY
04-03-2008, 09:34 PM

I can't tell if this is a joke er not, I don't wanna be that guy that under bids everyone, maybe a couple to get my foot in the door. Its not common to ask what their lowest bid is right? Id feel like a scumbag. Just going to have to take a good walk around the properties and use my head.

Atlantic Lawn
04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I think you should look at the properties, then write out a detailed proposal and submit all of your references,copies of Biz Lic, Liability Insurance and Workmans comp as well as Your Pesticide Applicators #. Presenting these will help to set you apart from the other calls they are receiving offering a free estimates.

JeffNY
04-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I think you should look at the properties, then write out a detailed proposal and submit all of your references,copies of Biz Lic, Liability Insurance and Workmans comp as well as Your Pesticide Applicators #. Presenting these will help to set you apart from the other calls they are receiving offering a free estimates.

Good idea, I have a copy of the biz license, I have a copy of all my insurance stuff, 99% sure theres no need for workmans comp, and we're not jumping into pesticides yet.
Thanks for the tip

CLARK LAWN
04-04-2008, 09:14 AM
just because you dont think there is a need for worker comp doesnt mean they wont require it. most commercial places are going to want you to have it they are not going to just take your word that you are solo and dont need it, they have to make sure they cover their a$$/

JeffNY
04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
just because you dont think there is a need for worker comp doesnt mean they wont require it. most commercial places are going to want you to have it they are not going to just take your word that you are solo and dont need it, they have to make sure they cover their a$$/

Im not understanding why I would need workers comp, from what I've read, its for employees, we have no employees.
Also, how would it cover the business? Incase me or my partner want to sue the business if we get hurt there while working?

Frue
04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Commercial will require you to have top insurance at least a million in gen, some want you to add them to your policy as additionally insured.

I am telling you if you are 2 dollars more than the last bid just forget about it you will not get it, if you are the lowest bid its yours.

A friend of mine said Boy yuu are probably 90% comercial by now huh? I said no way if I was I be 90% broke. You can have the commercial account they stink alwaya looking for the cheapest price.

JeffNY
04-04-2008, 02:32 PM
yeah, a couple places told me straight up on the phone, "we take the lowest bid"

I was like, alrighty, the hell with quality, lets save $5.

Frue
04-04-2008, 07:18 PM
O yeaa I forgot to mention you have to wait 60 days for your pay.

bohiaa
04-04-2008, 07:38 PM
These guys are full of S%^&............

Go For it dude..........
some of the largest accounts I have are from walking right in and asking.....

Holiday Inn Express, Wendies, Walmart, Burger King,

some will try to put you through the ringer,,,, But just push right back when they do and you will be fine....

GOOD LUCK

bigw
04-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Commercial will require you to have top insurance at least a million in gen, some want you to add them to your policy as additionally insured.

I am telling you if you are 2 dollars more than the last bid just forget about it you will not get it, if you are the lowest bid its yours.

A friend of mine said Boy yuu are probably 90% comercial by now huh? I said no way if I was I be 90% broke. You can have the commercial account they stink alwaya looking for the cheapest price.

Not necessarily true, i just landed a major hotel and i was 10$ higher then any of the other bids, now me and the property manager hit it off well and i have a million in insurance so that probably helped,i also think they like my company appearance {TRUCK/ TRAILER} sitting out in their parking lot. Besides in PA why would you not already have a million in insurance,i mean its like 300$ a year.

bigw
04-05-2008, 10:57 PM
O yeaa I forgot to mention you have to wait 60 days for your pay.

ONCE AGAIN NOT TRUE...I WILL BE PAID MONTHLY.

SkyCaptain
04-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Here is what worked for me. I actually went to the businesses. I got 12 Plaza accounts in 2 days last week. I got them because I actually talked face to face with people. That works a lot better than the phone. If you are a good salesman that is.