PDA

View Full Version : Well guys i downsized and got a good job op.

pbdlandscaping
04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, I downsized the number of my accounts this year, and sold off some equipment. The cost of living is getting ridiculous here in Mass, I'm only 18 but i can already sense how bad it's getting. The cost of living on my own is weighing on me. So I downsized to 13 accounts and I got a job at a 18 country club running a mower, etc. The pay isn't bad, but i think I'll learn alot more about turf management then I already know. Plus, a paycheck every week and the assurance that you'll have a check in your hand every week is nice. The perk of the job is I'll be working 6am-2pm so I'll have till about 8pm everyday to mow the accounts I kept. I guess I'm writing because i don't know if downsizing by 6 accounts was smart for me or not. I'll make about $475/wk at the country club and the 7 accounts i dropped were anywhere from $35-$45 weekly. I kept all my accounts that were $50+. It's killing me to think about it, It's the biggest decision I've made so far since i had to decide whether I wanted the blonde or brunette girl more:laugh:

Carolina Cuts
04-03-2008, 09:05 PM
It's the biggest decision I've made so far since i had to decide whether I wanted the blonde or brunette girl more

I use to dig blonds... but not anymore... and haven't in years. :laugh:

You had to do what ya had to do. No big deal. You still have plenty of daylight to continue the biz. Not quite sure if you actually had to downsize though. You only dropped 7 accounts, that's not alot. I would think you had plenty of time throughout the week to keep those 7 lawns.

gettin' into reading this, I was expecting to hear you dropped 25-45 accounts.
But it'll be good that you're gonna learn some turf management.

G'luck to ya.

Cutting 4eva 21
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Yea i wouldn't have dropped those accounts if if were you!! you could have easily manage those others throughout the week but oh well.. Hey like carolina cuts said now you can focus on turf management

schunklawn
04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
should have kept those...7 accounts smaller than your $50 accounts should be easy to maintain compared to the clients that you kept...you want to be busting at the seams to drop accounts...not a big deal since you are young, but if you ever want to grow those may have been some crucial clients to keep your mind right in order to grow at a later time...just my $.02 good luck

No Bunk Lawn Care

schunklawn
04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
should have kept those...7 accounts smaller than your $50 accounts should be easy to maintain compared to the clients that you kept...you want to be busting at the seams to drop accounts...not a big deal since you are young, but if you ever want to grow those may have been some crucial clients to keep your mind right in order to grow at a later time...just my $.02 good luck

No Bunk Lawn Care

lawnwizards
04-03-2008, 11:14 PM
the way i see it is you are now working 40 hours a week for that 475. with those 7 you dropped you were making 245-315 a week. it probably took less than 10 hours to do those 7. if you could've doubled the 7 to 14 you would be making 490-630 in 20 hours. way more money per hour if you just work at it.

Jay Ray
04-03-2008, 11:34 PM
The guy is 18. Broadening his experience could be valuable later. After he has learned all they will let him learn at the course, he might consider taking employment in some other field. He will be plenty busy.

jiggz
04-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I would call all your clients bak up and said there was a time management problem that we have resolved..and if there still interested you will be able to take care of them.. with no further interruptions like these again....you originally had 20 accounts?? you have 6 hours to mow after work everyday
and you prolly have weekends off or at least Sundays off.. how dont you have time??....you just lost a grand a month for something you could prolly take care of on a Sunday if you hustled...

t

kleankutslawn
04-04-2008, 12:45 AM
i agree with all the above comments.well what about the blondes?

pbdlandscaping
04-04-2008, 08:48 AM
ya the only thing with those accounts is they were spread apart, 3 we're 15 mile drive and those were still about 3 miles apart from each other and the other 4 all had steep slopes, and after working all day I doubt i'm going to feel up to mowing the slope with a w/b. Thanks for all the comments guys.

lawnwizards
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
ya the only thing with those accounts is they were spread apart, 3 we're 15 mile drive and those were still about 3 miles apart from each other and the other 4 all had steep slopes, and after working all day I doubt i'm going to feel up to mowing the slope with a w/b. Thanks for all the comments guys.

well, now that changes everything. :waving: goodluck with your new job.

farmboy52787
04-16-2008, 01:53 AM
You want to watch out for mowing till 8pm at night in residential, customers would be annoyed if i came to mow there lawn at 6pm while they were at work all day and then wanted peace and quiet at home. Especially on weekends but if there commercial accounts and with nobody around you can mow em whenever you want.

Atlantic Lawn
04-16-2008, 06:49 AM
What kind of mower do they have you using at the golf course ?

Charles
04-16-2008, 07:29 AM
18? Get a good education! Get a degree in business management or something like that. Work your way through school. Go to technical school and learn a high demand trade such as welding etc. The future of lawncare is iffy at best with insurance, gas going up and Mexicans moving in. The most important thing is getting educated so you will at least know how to run a business and it will also expand your options