PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas???

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey guys. I am working on setting up the lighting for an outdoor kitchen that i am building for a customer. I am fairly new to the lighting area. I feel that i have a pritty good eye for what looks good, but was hoping that you guys could take a look at my work and let me know if i should play around with the placement.

there are four unique quazars for area lighting in the middle, four comets on the post and three Envoy's over what will be a bar area. There will also be three Intregal lights under the bar showcasing the stone work. The counter tops will be black galaxy granite and all these lights will be on low voltage dimmers if the customer wants to set a different mood.

Mike M
04-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow. You should make an entire outdoor house.

klkanders
04-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Depending on what you and the customer are looking for you could divide up the different lights in zones. Then use a Zane 12v dimmer switch to have off or any level up to full on for any or all zones. Just an idea.
I do know that it will be easier to see all effects after pavers (yes I saw this on your other post) and the granite are down. Will you be sealing the pavers right away? If so the light will bounce back off those too even more.
Keep experimenting and you will get it right. Show pics when all done please!

Keith

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-03-2008, 10:51 PM
klkanders: good thought. That is exactly what i have done. the cabinet on the right at the end houses four gang boxes. three for dimmers and one for ceiling fan control (not installed yet). the post lights, area lights and pendant lights will all be on separate dimmer switches. I will not be sealing the pavers. We use polymeric sand and let the customer decide if they want to seal the pavers later. Most likely will keep it natural so that it will blend nicely with the stone work.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Zoning and zone control is just as important in an outdoor kitchen as it is in an indoor kitchen. Ambient lighting, task lighting, and feature or highlighting. This will give that area a dynamic look and allow the light levels to be tailored by the client based on the activity in the area.

Watch your viewing angles of those open bottom fixtures. If there will be tables and chairs in the area, then the viewing angle changes and you might have glare issues.

Have a great day.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-04-2008, 07:17 AM
thanks integra. I will grab a chair tonight and make sure there will be no glare issues from the table and chairs. The area lights are set so that there are no shadows when cooking or looking into the cabinets. As of right now, there are no shadows anywhere you stand inside.

JoeyD
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
WOW! That is going to look really cool. All valid points and ideas made here by James and Keith. I cant wait to see some finished pictures of this one, this could make the catalog!!!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey Joey. It would be an honor to be in the Unique catalog. I just purchased a higher end digital SLR. i will forward some finished pics and let you guys decide if i am worthy. Thanks for the compliments and critiques.

JoeyD
04-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah get me those pics, that is definitly going to be a show piece!! I showed a few people at our factory this thread for them to see and they all said the same thing! "HURRY UP AND FINISH IT SO WE CAN GET SOME PICS!!"

We will wait impatiently for the final shots!! LOL

Eden Lights
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
You might want to look at the Phantom line for your under counter needs, I feel it's a much better option compared to the Intregal strips for your intended application. You can order the HM series with 6 in spacing in Zenon, Standard, and 4 different Leds ranging from about 2800K to 6500K. I use the T2 trim option with long leads on both ends and 4-6" spacing. This allows you play with the lamp spacing and allows you to play with the fixture location distance from the stone to achieve the desired illumination with various stone materials. I like to install them all the way across depending on supports and etc. and then play with various lamp spacings. As far as your other choices of fixtures, remember that glare is your worst enemy and do not allow it to creep into your designs for it will kill the whole composition. Excellent work by the way. James made some excellent comments about you can have enough control of the lighting zones on this project.

www.phantomlighting.com

NiteTymeIlluminations
04-08-2008, 08:44 AM
I'd add in a switch on the door so when you open the cabinet a light inside comes on automatically without having to fumble for a switch somewhere. Like a refrigerator switch, you know, you open the door, the light comes on. I'd also add lots of rechargeable candles either from vessel or neoz.

Looks cool!