PDA

View Full Version : Sellin Out.

MATTHEW
11-28-2001, 03:44 PM
I talked to a guy who ran a business grossing $700,000 last year and is selling all of the mowing accounts. That is the third $300,000 to $700,000 business going all landscaping-no more mowing in my city this year. This area is really getting huge, but the big guys are calling it quits (as fas as mowing) I can figure the reasons, profits, but it is amazing how much mowing business is to be had here.:rolleyes:

SprinklerGuy
11-28-2001, 04:15 PM
Is ne ohio somewhere near cleveland? How much snow do you get? My wife wants me to move somewhere slow with her and relax some.

John from OH
11-28-2001, 04:57 PM
Profit is part of the problem Matthew. The true cause is labor, or the lack thereof. Available labor is nil in our area. (I'm about 30 miles NW of you) Mowing can be quite profitable, but trying to hire and train mowing crews for 7-8 months and maintain some semblance of quality is aggravating. On top of that, labor has a tendency to not show up, abuse equipment, quit without notice, etc. all profit eaters. At the end of the season, there is no choice but to layoff all non essential labor so that profit is not depleted from the company over the winter. In spring, the cycle starts all over again. A non traditional workforce, ie, hispanics, etc. seem to be the only way to make a go in the mowing industry. My company is running financials on subbing out mowing to the young folks entering the industry, allowing us to maintain the more profitable aspects of landscape management, mulching, pruning, snow plowing, etc.. The numbers look good for us, but I also have to consider how much trouble I may have finding good subs. I don't anticipate much client resistance as long as the service is as good. This is the same dilema the building industry went through about 30 years ago. Building contractor used to do all aspects of home construction in house. Now most building contractors handle a few aspects of construction and sub the rest out. Our industry is ripe for such a structure.

Jason Burke
11-28-2001, 07:48 PM
Guys I work full time as a Fire Fighter - Paramedic and use some of the guys from the fire station to work on my crews. We all work different shifts so we can cover our accounts. Try getting some guys from the fire house they may work out well.;) Most are looking for part -time income anyways.

brentsawyer
11-28-2001, 09:53 PM
I have heard of some firefighters doing likewise. They have 3 days on 3 off or something like that. So for their 3 off days, they work their lawns, etc. Maybe I'll try hiring in the future from their. I sure they'll be better than most workers

HacMan91
11-28-2001, 10:40 PM
We operate the same way. Jason Im in Montgomery. Me and another Fire Medic co-own our business, we have a couple of guys that help us. Theres at least 15 firemen in our dept that have their own lawn business so theres not a shortage of trained helpers. We also have to maintain out stations so everybody can at least operate a weed eater and stick edger. No ZTR's owned by the city, thats the only training needed. Most of our clients like the clean cut guys working on their lawns (no offense to anyone with long pony tails or gold teeth).

Runner
11-29-2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SprinklerGuy
Is ne ohio somewhere near cleveland? How much snow do you get? My wife wants me to move somewhere slow with her and relax some.
Well, that's nice. Atleast she wants you to go with her! :D
Isn't it a bit ironic, though, that many people retire down to the Arizona area, and here you are, coming the opposite way!:)

MATTHEW
11-29-2001, 12:10 PM
NE OH is no place to relax. Things are getting bigger and faster and people are getting meaner and impatient. Pheonix sounds just lovely to ME. If you want snow, settle just to the southeast of lake erie (ashtabula,painsville, ect.) You will have tons of it. Go much farther south and you'll generally see 5-10 good snows per year.