PDA

View Full Version : Athletic fields

site
11-28-2001, 05:45 PM
I have been asked to bid the mowing and maintenance on a new soccer field. The field is a new mixture of 80% sand and 20% peat, and maintenence specs look pretty exact. I dont want to get in over my head, I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with this which might be helpful.

HBFOXJr
11-28-2001, 05:52 PM
It's trouble here in NJ on the application end. Not because of state rules but because of people and useage.

The darn things are so booked and used that finding an appropriate window wher somebody won't be alarmed to be on it is tough. I gave up after trying the idea because I didn't wnat to work on Sundays, holidays, etc., in addition to the political side with the tree hugging wackos.

If it's a private club maybe not so bad. If it's government or institution it's potentially a pain in the arse.

brettreeves
11-28-2001, 06:50 PM
I cut the local High School Football Field this past season and it was pretty simple. They were easy for me to work around and I had no problems, just be sure if they are watering and fertilizing it they are allowing you to cut it often enough. They first time I cut the field they had let it get out of hand and it took two guys eight hours to bag it on a 52" Exmark and a 48" Exmark. Now it only takes us about 35 minutes or so.

cormierlawn
12-08-2001, 11:06 AM
Don't do it alone, get help! lot of Maint.

Curt

Turfclippings
12-10-2001, 10:18 AM
I bid my sports fields on cutting every 3 days, assuming it properly maintained. The key is working with the groundsmen and most of them are nice and want to work with ya, so its not a bad deal to get a hold of good luck, email if you need any specifics answered

Kevin
turfclips@aol.com

turfman99
12-10-2001, 07:57 PM
Sand base fields are a lot different than soil or clay base. Try a web search for Oregon State University or one of the other turf gurus, I know they had one a couple of years ago. Mow every three days, watch your water closely, leave the clippings on, pay close attention to your fertilizers.