PDA

View Full Version : Steering

Clint
11-28-2001, 05:03 PM
I'm wondering about steering of the WB lawn mowers.. between the brands is there much difference between the pistol grip steering? I know toro has a tbar option, and exmark has a "ecs" option, how are those? Taking in consideration I will be on this baby most of the day I'd want something confortable and easy.. any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clint

Clint
11-28-2001, 05:15 PM
Also, I was wondering if I need to run a 15 or 17 HP engine on it, how much difference powerwise is it? I dont want any bogging down I suppose im getting at, will a 15 bog?

Thanks again,
Clint

andyslawns
11-28-2001, 05:27 PM
i personally have t bars. they are really easy to run and get used to.they require no stregth at all. i have used pistol grips and have hated it. (probably because the t- bar spoiled me!). as for you engine question there are a lot of variables, how big of a deck, are you riding or standing, are the areas that you are mowing hilly or flat? personally i like all the power i can get my hands on. just my 2 cents worth .
andy
:blob4:

fshrdan
11-28-2001, 05:38 PM
Some people claim to get CTS from pistol grips. I own 2 Toro WB's, have used pistol grips though. Hated them. T-bar is a piece of cake.

odin
11-28-2001, 05:45 PM
clint

A 15 is alright on a 36inch.

If youre considering the hydro 48 or larger get that 17 horse hydros never have enough power

joshua
11-28-2001, 05:49 PM
clint, on a 36 15 would be a little to much but it will do, the grip it up to you, you have to go with what you like the ecs on exmark is great, the pistel grip on the exmark does take a toll on your wrist, but exmark will be switching to all ecs next year. demo, demo, demo, and see what feels best for you.

edward hedrick
11-28-2001, 07:53 PM
I like the T bar, I put one on my 52 Lesco works great. easier
to use. To stop a pistol grip squeeze both hands. On a T bar
just let go of the handle, Also your hands are inside the handle.
On PGs your hands are outside hitting walls and trees.

Clint
11-28-2001, 08:51 PM
Okay, I have looked at toros, but im convinced that the exmark is a better mower, what do you think.

Im new to the business so im not sure about demos. What do I just go drive it around in the parking lot or can I take it out and mow with it for a day or what? and how do i go about getting a demo?

im goin with a belt drive 48", i think i need a 17 HP but how much more is it?

When do the new models come out? after christmas? since the exmarks are all going to the "ECS" will the price of the metro hp go up or stay the same?

Thanks again!
Clint

edward hedrick
11-28-2001, 09:41 PM
Some dealers have field days. Most dealers will bring equipment to your site. I demoed a Exmark LC when my Scag was in for
maintenance. I run a 14 Kawi on my 52 Lesco. If your looking at
a 48 fixed deck, try a Lesco or a Scag

nedlm
11-28-2001, 09:56 PM
HAVE YOU LOOK AT THE HUSTLER SHORTCUT HYDRO WALKBEHIND .QUALITY BUILT MACHINE WITH A KAWASAKI ENGINE,

BRIAN GALLO
11-28-2001, 10:10 PM
I've never owned an Exmark, and they seem total quality, but I have to say I think the cut you get from a Toro SFS deck is second to none. Also the T-Bar steering is nice. If you plan on using a sulky I would go with the bigger engine. The cost is usually under a hundred bucks between the price of a 17hp over a 15hp on new units I priced out.

B's Lawn Service:blob3:

Clint
11-28-2001, 10:13 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know I appreciate your input! ;)

Clint

PaulJ
11-28-2001, 11:37 PM
Clint--

Most pistol grips are going to handly about the same.

Something to look at is how you adjust the tracking (keeping the mower going straight w/o having to pull on one side or the other).

On hydros some have seperate speed levers for each side, some have a single lever that you ppush left or right and some just have a knob that you can adjust. On belt drives some brands have a way to quickly adjudt the drive belt tension to keep the mower from pulling to one side.

Some alternatives to pistop grips are Exmarks ECS, and Huslers h-bar(kind of a motercycle grip). I think these are on hydros only. Available on hydros and belt drives are Toros t-bar, Snappers loop grip, and Hondas (similar to toros).
I opperated Snapper loop grip Hydros for two years and they are easy and comfortable so give them a look.

Good luck