PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

kartracer2000
04-04-2008, 12:54 AM
i call my State Farm agent yesterday to get a quote for 1 mil liability as I have all my vehicles insured there and my house. Anyway, i ask her for a quote and she tells me that State Farm does not insure for general liability for lawn care, snow plowing, landscaping, etc. I was like, uh ok, i guess i'll call someone else? I though some of you guys on here had state farm or am i wrong?:confused:

timscherer
04-04-2008, 01:14 AM
I have a State Farm Agent here in my local town of Roanoke, In. He quoted me on a Liability Policy for my part-time mowing business. There should not be any issues unless there underwriters will not insure Lawn & Landscape Business's. I have experienced that some insurance company's and their underwriters will not do Liability Policy's. I recommend to call around several agents in your local area and price them out. I suggest at least a 1mil(Occurance)/2mil(Aggregate) with $5000.00 medical. The estimates for your insurance will range between $280-$400 per year. If they are quoting you more that $400.00, keep searching.

Exact Rototilling
04-04-2008, 02:45 AM
I just paid $1700 in one shot for the season for insurance for my old Toyota truck, 2 trailers and a $15,000 worth of equipment. Replacement cost if equipment is stolen etc. Yes that was really cheap compared to the other Co's. This policy will also cover snow plowing. Quotes from other Insurance Co. were well over $4000 a year for new up starts. :dizzy: Yes I checked with other agents and they al said I'm getting off cheap especially for operating in WA state.

Atlantic Lawn
04-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Call around your town, there are loads of companies that will write general liability.

JeffNY
04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Try and find a National Grange agent, it took a while for me to find a company that would write commercial auto and general liability on one policy

Big C
04-04-2008, 09:13 AM
i call my State Farm agent yesterday to get a quote for 1 mil liability as I have all my vehicles insured there and my house. Anyway, i ask her for a quote and she tells me that State Farm does not insure for general liability for lawn care, snow plowing, landscaping, etc. I was like, uh ok, i guess i'll call someone else? I though some of you guys on here had state farm or am i wrong?:confused:

Yes, my State Farm agent told me the same thing but he did refer me to several compaines that did insure LCOs......so I got insurance from one of those....worked out fine.....good luck this season!!!

Big C
04-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Be sure to shop around..... before I found a company to insure me I got quotes ranging from $250-$2000 on basically the same 1 mil GL insurance from about 15 different companies.....insurance is about as big a ripoff as gas prices.....

cgaengineer
04-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Be sure to shop around..... before I found a company to insure me I got quotes ranging from $250-$2000 on basically the same 1 mil GL insurance from about 15 different companies.....insurance is about as big a ripoff as gas prices.....

Probably worse...at least gas works when you need it!

Big C
04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Probably worse...at least gas works when you need it!

Damn good point:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

lawnpro724
04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Pekin insurance has the lowest rates for GL out there. I know since I have checked with just about everyone. My auto and house insurance is with State Farm but they wouldn't insure my business either.

lawnpro724
04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I just paid $1700 in one shot for the season for insurance for my old Toyota truck, 2 trailers and a $15,000 worth of equipment. Replacement cost if equipment is stolen etc. Yes that was really cheap compared to the other Co's. This policy will also cover snow plowing. Quotes from other Insurance Co. were well over $4000 a year for new up starts. :dizzy: Yes I checked with other agents and they al said I'm getting off cheap especially for operating in WA state.

The main reason your rates are so high is because you don't have years of commercial experience doing this kind of work so your more of a risk for them.

Exact Rototilling
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
The main reason your rates are so high is because you don't have years of commercial experience doing this kind of work so your more of a risk for them.

My insurance is through Farmers which also has my home and auto polices so I'm getting a preferred discount. That office also carries other lines of insurance.

I was told by another independent agent that we know personally that my rates are very low in fact it's a bargain dirt cheap. I'm paying less than what he would insure me with prior biz experience. He basically told me I was getting a total bargain. The he also said many of the insurance Co's he has access to would not cover Washington state because of all the red tape and Gestapo trip wire tactics used against contractors.

kartracer2000
04-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I ended up getting quotes through another company for 1 mil and 15,000 on the equip with 100 deductible for 621 a year.

Reliable Lawn Care
04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I have a State Farm Agent here in my local town of Roanoke, In. He quoted me on a Liability Policy for my part-time mowing business. There should not be any issues unless there underwriters will not insure Lawn & Landscape Business's. I have experienced that some insurance company's and their underwriters will not do Liability Policy's. I recommend to call around several agents in your local area and price them out. I suggest at least a 1mil(Occurance)/2mil(Aggregate) with $5000.00 medical. The estimates for your insurance will range between $280-$400 per year. If they are quoting you more that $400.00, keep searching.

I agree, just renewed mine yesterday, $ 350.00 yearly, about the same coverage as above. Keep looking, you will find it. Good luck

Exact Rototilling
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok . . . for $400 or less are you just getting 1 mill of liability coverage?

Or does the $400 ALSO cover REPLACEMENT [not depreciated] cost on your trailers and all your equipment minus whatever the deductible is?

What are you doing about your tow vehicles? Personal insurance only?

Unless you have commercial coverage on your tow vehicle how are you getting coverage on your trailers?

If someone steals you trailer is it a complete loss along with all your stuff?

. . . Or are you just taking chances with the loss of it along with lost income from it being gone? :dizzy:

:waving:

Regardless I'm actually glad I DON'T own a GMC 2500HD duramax :rolleyes:

timscherer
04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Exact Rototilling
Regardless I'm actually glad I DON'T own a GMC 2500HD duramax
Best truck money can buy!!!!