PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a decent WB broadcast type fert spreader?

Exact Rototilling
04-04-2008, 03:29 AM
No license required for fert application in my area in case you were wondering.

Anyhow all I have ever used for my own lawn is the hand crank type. I've looked and Home Depot, Lowes etc. but I really want something decent that will last. I'm a solo operation and I don't abuse my equipment. My most productive mower is a Quick 36 if that helps. I did like the edge guard on the Home Depot spreader I saw but I admit I'm a complete noob in this area.

I prefer to pay 60% more so it will last 5 times as long.

Any help appreciated.

:waving:

mngrassguy
04-04-2008, 04:00 AM
IMHO Lesco still makes the best

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=223003

Exact Rototilling
04-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the link.

:waving:

BNR LAWN SERVICES
04-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Lesco and Cub Cadet Pro Are the same and work the best. I have a lesco and love it.If you go to the John Deere Landscapes Web sit they had an early season order form that could save you some money. It might be to late but worth taking a look.

Exact Rototilling
04-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Would any of you think less of me . . . . if I bought this spreader . . . :hammerhead:

This is probably a disposable unit - money better spent on a Lesco or monkey grinder type mentioned on antother thread.

hole in one lco
04-06-2008, 01:32 AM
go with the lesco it will be the only spreader you will buy. They last forever and are well worth the money

ted putnam
04-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Would any of you think less of me . . . . if I bought this spreader . . . :hammerhead:

This is probably a disposable unit - money better spent on a Lesco or monkey grinder type mentioned on antother thread.

I have 2 Lesco spreaders one is 14 yrs old and spent 10 of those doing 120+k per day. You'd be lucky to get that thing to do just your own personal lawn 2-3 seasons. JMHO

RigglePLC
04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Ted is right,
but I am actually looking for a very small plastic spreader--just to do the tiny areas I cannot reach with my Perma-green Ultra. I need one that fits on my truck or in the front seat and one that I can lift with one hand.

ed2hess
04-06-2008, 12:27 PM
go with the lesco it will be the only spreader you will buy. They last forever and are well worth the money

This is not true the plastic hub that holds the opening device/spring deformed due to the load and rendered the unit useless. It lasted about 5 years...cost of new parts to repair would be a lot. Still a well built unit with a simple design flaw.

Exact Rototilling
04-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Tried to find a Spiker #75 monkey grinder locally but I found this instead. Has a back crossed strap and not a neck strap and the framed bottom allows you to set the unit down etc. Yes that is snow from last night. :rolleyes:

I think this will work. :walking:

turfcobob
04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
I can tell you this. We tested every spreader out When we were working and testing spreaders for our new applicator. We even had a Turfgass PHD Type woking with us on testing the spread patterns. We settled on the Spyker as for many reasons it was the best pattern and with an all stainless on the lowere end should last a long time. The Trim Shield they use makes the lesco look sick. I would look at the Spyker 288 with Pheumatic tires if I was getting a walking spreader.

americanlawn
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Big ditto. We've used the Spyker :usflag:288 for over a year now --- no breakdowns whatsoever, and the pattern is perfect. No cables to rust out, no pins to rust out. Any other brand compared to a '288' is like comparing a Yugo to a Lexus. We had our LESCO (rear hitch) caddy's modified to fit our 288 Spykers. A friend just bought an electric Spyker 120 for the front of his Exmark.....he can't say enough great things about it. We have been running an electric 220 Spyker for seven years --- never broke yet! We sold a nearly new LESCO spreader last week for seventy bucks just to get rid of it. We still have 6 or 7 more that just take up space.