PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looked at the prices at Home Depot?

Rcgm
04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Hav eany of you looked at the prices of plant material at Home Depot?My lord the are incrediable this year. I went there today and just walked into the garden section for giggles and was amazed how cheap there stuff is. Usually it is alot of one gallon plants. Not no more. I stopped in there fo rsome marking paint then was heading to the local wholesale nursery for 3 Large Dwarf Alberta Spruces. Well was suprised Home Depot had them. I got 3 seven foot tall Dwarf Alberta Spruces for 89.99 each. They were 174.00 at the wholesale nursery. They had 4 gallon Rhodys for 17.99 each. I also picked up a 7 foot tall blue juniper spiral bush for 89.99 they had Cleveland Pear trees 3 inch for 69.99 I went for marking paint and left with a trailer full. I also had a 20 percent off coupon. I don't see how in a few more years nurserys are going to compete. Best of all you get a 1 year warranty on the plant materials.I try to support my local wholesale nurserys but when I can save money like that I have to look out for my family. So I peeled off the stickers and headed to my customers house for the day. He was so happy with the Spruces he said WOW you can't find bushes like that at lowes or home depot.:cool2:

RCGM
Brad

MJS
04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I got several fine-leafed boxwoods from HD last year - $35 a piece in a three-gallon container. The nursery had them for $74 - the exact same size and species - with no warranty! Yeah, I was pretty pumped that day. . . I always look first now at HD when I am selecting plants - they may not have the variety of a nursery, but the prices are incredible.

MOWEMJEFF
04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Thats because its so hard for nurseries to survive these days...all these major growers have patents on every plant it seems like and the customers want these patented plants. Its becoming harder for nurseries to make money because they can't propogate them themselves legally and places like home depot place HUGE orders and get much better pricing. It's actually not a good thing and is only going to get worse.

tamadrummer
04-04-2008, 06:42 PM
No thanks! I have a Nursery that I use for a reason. The guy was born and raised in this area and knows just about everything there is to know about the plants he is selling and generally cares about the contractor he is selling to.

No homeowners allowed to buy from him either. He only sells to pros and commercial properties like municipalities and all of the theme parks down here in FL.

HD can sell to the homeowner and lead them in the wrong direction with the crap weed fabric and whatever else they try to get them to buy. I'll stick to the local business.

:usflag:

Superior L & L
04-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Yer i cannot belive how cheap there stuff is getting. Lowes had some realy nice stuff last year also. 6' arbs for $29.00

PerfectEarth
04-04-2008, 08:42 PM
No thanks! I have a Nursery that I use for a reason. The guy was born and raised in this area and knows just about everything there is to know about the plants he is selling and generally cares about the contractor he is selling to.

No homeowners allowed to buy from him either. He only sells to pros and commercial properties like municipalities and all of the theme parks down here in FL.

HD can sell to the homeowner and lead them in the wrong direction with the crap weed fabric and whatever else they try to get them to buy. I'll stick to the local business.

:usflag:

Exactly. Thank you for saving me from typing. I'll probably rant for a second...

I will NEVER buy a plant from Home Depot. Don't care how cheap they are, don't care where the trends are going. I go to professional, dedicated nurseries for a reason- knowledge, proper advice, design help (if requested), compliment plants, and PRICE... c'mon, it's not that much different for the most part. You guys must have come crappy wholesale nurseries in your areas to load your trailer up at the Depot.

I fully support my wholesale nurseries. They work hard for my business and will stand and help me for an hour if I ask.

*edit- Also, do you know where that material is coming from?? Is it adapted to your area (e.g. northern, southern grown?? west coast material? How about B&B nursery stock?? I bet "Pam," the part-time retiree in her little orange vest doesn't know.

LindblomRJ
04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I guess the question of quality over price would ring in my mind. I noticed the same thing when I visited a Home Depot last weekend.

kubotafan
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Hav eany of you looked at the prices of plant material at Home Depot?My lord the are incrediable this year. I went there today and just walked into the garden section for giggles and was amazed how cheap there stuff is. Usually it is alot of one gallon plants. Not no more. I stopped in there fo rsome marking paint then was heading to the local wholesale nursery for 3 Large Dwarf Alberta Spruces. Well was suprised Home Depot had them. I got 3 seven foot tall Dwarf Alberta Spruces for 89.99 each. They were 174.00 at the wholesale nursery. They had 4 gallon Rhodys for 17.99 each. I also picked up a 7 foot tall blue juniper spiral bush for 89.99 they had Cleveland Pear trees 3 inch for 69.99 I went for marking paint and left with a trailer full. I also had a 20 percent off coupon. I don't see how in a few more years nurserys are going to compete. Best of all you get a 1 year warranty on the plant materials.I try to support my local wholesale nurserys but when I can save money like that I have to look out for my family. So I peeled off the stickers and headed to my customers house for the day. He was so happy with the Spruces he said WOW you can't find bushes like that at lowes or home depot.:cool2:

RCGM
Brad

Hey, I am your customer, and see now what you did to me!!!

EVM
04-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Home Depot is running some crap radio ad about how Scotts fetilizer has this miracle chemical that will keep the lawn alive through a drought. Oh, I can't wait for the first jackass to call me about this one.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Yea HD is changing. A couple of weeks ago I stopped by just to kill time and saw they had 6' tall Lelyand Cypress trees on sale for $12, the same size at my local nursery is $20 my cost. We bought right at 50 of them to run along the fron of our property. I stopped by there again yesterday to see they are now selling Palm Trees. I have never installed them here but the prices were pretty fair compared to what the nursery has them listed for. I still buy from my nursery every chance I can though cause they send work my way and they're just good people.

JLAWNCARE
04-04-2008, 09:56 PM
here in pa a 6' leyland cypress would run 150.00 and that whole sales

ZX12R
04-04-2008, 11:30 PM
You know,I have never bought a plant from home depot,but,I have to admit,they had some really nice stuff at great prices.As someone mentioned,they had beautiful Alberta Spruce for $99.00. Last fall I bought one the same size at the nursery for $110.

tjsquickcuts
04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Home Depot is okay for somethings if I am in a rush, but I will never ever ever ever ever buy any more flowers from there. I planted a few flats from there a few years ago, and they all did very poor. Most their flowers are already over grown, and just plain ugly. Just a few weeks ago, I bought 2 flats of flowers from there for a very quick small job, but decided not to plant them once I really saw how ugly they were. I will post some pics of them and some from my supplier and let you be the judge.

TPnTX
04-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I noticed it the other day. While installing a landscape job I made a few last minute changes and ended up with some open space in a bed. I was a long way from a nursery so I ran down to HD to see what they had.
What they had was wholesale prices on several plants. For example
3gal bay breeze 9.00. - below wholesale @ 17.00

3 gal Purple pixie 19.00 wholesale

Thats capitalism for you. I have yet to price out the plant list on an invoice. However in this case the HD was only a couple of blocks from the job. The customer knew the change order was for those 4 plants. So I only charged 75.00 for the change order. They don't know I got them down the street but since it's very likely the would there I just wanted to avoid it.

I would imagine this is fallout from the HD Supply failure. It could be that a lot of suppliers have managed to make deals with HD retail afterwards. So maybe it won't last.

I'm convinced to keep alive in this business you have to aim high. If you base business off clients would never consider DIY'ing it then this type of thing will not impact you. It may also convince Skinners and other wholesalers to adjust their pricelist.

Isobel
04-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Exactly. Thank you for saving me from typing. I'll probably rant for a second...

I will NEVER buy a plant from Home Depot. Don't care how cheap they are, don't care where the trends are going. I go to professional, dedicated nurseries for a reason- knowledge, proper advice, design help (if requested), compliment plants, and PRICE... c'mon, it's not that much different for the most part. You guys must have come crappy wholesale nurseries in your areas to load your trailer up at the Depot.

I fully support my wholesale nurseries. They work hard for my business and will stand and help me for an hour if I ask.

*edit- Also, do you know where that material is coming from?? Is it adapted to your area (e.g. northern, southern grown?? west coast material? How about B&B nursery stock?? I bet "Pam," the part-time retiree in her little orange vest doesn't know.

+1

I completely agree. I never buy plant material from home depot. At least the ones around here usually get the Class C plants.

I always go to one of my local nurseries, and I tell my client that too. If they question the price, I tell them I go to my trusted wholesalers, that's how I offer my warranty on plants. If they want to buy stuff at Home Depot, they can, but I won't warranty them, and it will be there responsibility if something dies.

Rcgm
04-05-2008, 04:48 PM
It was just a question. To Perfect Earth I do not go to Home Depot for advise. I know my areas and where stuff works and doesn't work. I support my local wholesale nursey but if I can save 50 dollars here and there I am going to do so for the same product. We have 3 wholesale nurseys here and it is easier to get into fort knox than to get into 1 of them. They pick and choose who they sell to. I have been in business for 14 years and they say I do not meet the criteria when I spend about 20 grand a year in plant material. Just a question but I knew better before I asked just like every other question on here turns into a bashing and the thread goes right down the tubes. Been like that for 8 years on here.

RCGM
Brad

Tom Tom
04-05-2008, 07:20 PM
The problem with depot/lowe plants are that they place them on pallets either directly on concrete or raised up a bit.

Result is more heat stress than a nursery plant.

Then they do a poor job of watering.

PerfectEarth
04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Rcgm/Brad- Sorry to come off like I was lecturing you. Didn't mean to and was kinda writing in general terms- nothing directed at you in particular. My Apologies

That is absurd that you can't get into wholesale nurseries. ??? How can you not meet that requirement being a commercial landscaper? Around here in Louisville, I recall all my nurseries asking once, the info was exchanged, and that was that. It's pretty easy to tell who is the commercial customer- a guy in lettered truck with a trailer or some old couple in a Camry....?

General Landscaping
04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
You guys must have some crummy supply yards.

I can deliver plants for HD prices, and still make money before touching a shovel.

They even Email me their current price sheets in Exel, so I can adjust the columns, add my logo and print out my own sheets for the customer.

Rcgm
04-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Well here In Indianapolis Indiana we have a few supply yards. Wholesale that is. We have Shemin nursery but it is 45 minutes from me. I normally buy from a local retail nursery that sells wholesale but the guy that owns it has recently leased it to a different guy every year and they never have what I need. Always out of Boxwoods.:dizzy:

Our biggest nursery is Brehob nurserys that is the one that has a application more detailed than buying a 200 thousand dollar house. I have traveled around and seen some nice wholesale nurserys in other states. But yes we have CRAPPY plant supply yards. But if you need Mulch or anything other than bushes,trees,flowers Indianapolis has you covered.

RCGM
Brad

manfromearth
04-06-2008, 02:34 AM
The Home Depots and Lowes in Alabama don't have better pricing than the real wholesale nurseries. They do have the 1 year warranty, but I'd say the chances of a plant from a real nursery have a much better chance of surviving over a big box store plant (especially if the plant at the big box has been on their lot for several days or more...lack of proper care). Now that I think of it, I haven't had to replace a plant free of charge in years...my customers don't demand it and it happens very rarely, anyway. Lastly, the real nurseries do a much better job of supplying plants that are actually suited to the area.

MOWEMJEFF
04-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have a greenhouse and/or propagate their own plants? Not even on the commercial scale but just for yourself?

lifetree
04-06-2008, 09:44 AM
No thanks ! I have a Nursery that I use for a reason. The guy was born and raised in this area and knows just about everything there is to know about the plants he is selling ... He only sells to pros and commercial properties like municipalities and all of the theme parks down here in FL ...

I know a family that has had a nursery in Sanford, FL, for over 40 years and operates like that ... only sells to professional accounts ... they are doing very well !!

grntmbfisher
04-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd never buy plants from Home Depot. They now supply the same brand of annuals as the nursery I go to but every time I walk through that place half of the plants are either wilted or dead. Not only does the quality suck but those places are terrible for nurseries. Compare it to the lowballers you here everyone on this site complaining about. They go out and price a lawn at $15 while anyone of us may price it between $35-40. That's terrible for our industry just like the prices on those dwarf alberta spruces are to the nurseries. They need to make a living too and no way is it possible for them to at HD or Lowes prices. Nurseries have to spend tons of money on the supplies, they also have a lot more overhead than this industry.Think about all the employees they have to pay, insurance, licenses, electricity, water, fertilizer, and on top of all that heating costs. I work part time for a nursery and remember last season the owner was telling me how he went through $400 in fuel heating two greenhouses for 3 days. Now imagine heating 16 houses for two months.

jsaunders
04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I haven't bought plants at homedepot- yet there are times when the plants/shrubs look very good and times not so good.

allinearth
04-07-2008, 06:30 AM
I'd never buy plants from Home Depot. They now supply the same brand of annuals as the nursery I go to but every time I walk through that place half of the plants are either wilted or dead. Not only does the quality suck but those places are terrible for nurseries. Compare it to the lowballers you here everyone on this site complaining about. They go out and price a lawn at $15 while anyone of us may price it between $35-40. That's terrible for our industry just like the prices on those dwarf alberta spruces are to the nurseries. They need to make a living too and no way is it possible for them to at HD or Lowes prices. Nurseries have to spend tons of money on the supplies, they also have a lot more overhead than this industry.Think about all the employees they have to pay, insurance, licenses, electricity, water, fertilizer, and on top of all that heating costs. I work part time for a nursery and remember last season the owner was telling me how he went through $400 in fuel heating two greenhouses for 3 days. Now imagine heating 16 houses for two months.

This is very true. I also despise going into big box stores because of lack of service and taking too much time to get in and out. I did notice however that the one near me has increased prices this year.

TPnTX
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
not me I'm not going to bash HD at all. I don't know about the "brands" of annuals but come on they get their stuff from local growers. They don't ship in pansies from china.

I know this, here in DFW I have a HD within 10 miles either direction. I don't have to EVER worry about supplies for virtually anything. Yeah I may stand in line for 5 mins but really, the fact is, life and work is so much more simple with HD and Walmart.

Cell phones, internet, walmart and home depot. How the hell anyone ran a service business without these I never know. I don't even want to know.

So now they are dipping their toe into the nursery business. Since the wholesale business model failed (from their perspective) they figured they push some of these accounts out to retail. I said it before, big nurserys might want to pay attention.

I can drive out to east texas to Breedlove nursery. Local family owned for 30 years. He'll sell me a huge holly for 90.00. I buy that from Southwest Nursery or Skinner it cost 160.00. They know it, I know it but most either don't know or don't have time to care.

All I'm saying is HD is great for business. Large nurserys might want to be worried. These smaller nurserys are already threatened by the big nurserys. I don't see HD being a difference to them.

TJLANDS
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Cell phones, internet, walmart and home depot(LOWES). How the hell anyone ran a service business without these I never know. I don't even want to know.

So now they are dipping their toe into the nursery business. Since the wholesale business model failed (from their perspective) they figured they push some of these accounts out to retail. I said it before, big nurserys might want to pay attention.

All I'm saying is HD is great for business. Large nurserys might want to be worried. These smaller nurserys are already threatened by the big nurserys. I don't see HD being a difference to them.

Dont Forget Lowes

Cmon , is there really anyone here that wouldnt use them just because.......
That is just bad business.
I have the phone number of Lowes and Home Depot on my cell phone.
Business is business and money is money
I have had them deliver 100 or more plants right to a jobsite, no delivery charge and sometimes save me 5-10$ a plant.
We are doing this to make money right?

Littletruck
04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I read this thread and just wanted to chime in here about something. Some of you guys are dissing HD because you want to support you local vendor, and I can see that. But this is not unfair competition in any way! It's not like these plants come from China or are the reason jobs are out sourced? It does not matter to me where I get materials, I know that my products still come from a legal source of planting materials within a truck drive of the nearest big box store.

Some of you sound "elitists" with your comments about "Never buying from" or "I only buy from" kinda crap.

Get over it, competition is good.

Jason Rose
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I'll chime in too... I'm amazed with how many guys that won't shop for plants at home depot and lowes. Just because you are a "landscape contractor" and only use plants from a wholesaler that charges almost double the prices. Why are you too good to buy plants from the "box stores"? Look around, MOST contractors, everyone from the home handyman to the big pros that build houses shop at lowes and home depot for a LOT of their construction needs. Everything from toilets to the lighting fixtures. Often they can buy the same materials at a lot less of a price saving them money.

Most of the small landscapers we have around here (the guys that can't keep a large selection of nursery stock on hand all the time) shop at the box stores. We don't have ready access to wholesale places to buy from, which is the case in many places I'm sure. Closest for us is about an hour drive, and yes, they want blood just to be able to buy there. I can't even get an accound with JDL because even though I'v been in the lawn biz for over 10 years, I don't meet all the credentials.

I just think that you guys that refuse to shop the box stores likely have easy access to other sources. Not everyone is so lucky. Heck, a lot of places don't even have a home depot or a lowes!

Lost Pine
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Does anyone have any opinions of LOWE'S for Shrubs and Trees..?

Littletruck
04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have any opinions of LOWE'S for Shrubs and Trees..?

Lowes...thats totally different man...:nono:

:laugh::laugh:

Lawn-Sharks
04-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I'll buy my fert from the home cheapo because i cannot get it anywhere else cheaper but all the rest i get from the nursery.

Isobel
04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I'll chime in too... I'm amazed with how many guys that won't shop for plants at home depot and lowes. Just because you are a "landscape contractor" and only use plants from a wholesaler that charges almost double the prices. Why are you too good to buy plants from the "box stores"? Look around, MOST contractors, everyone from the home handyman to the big pros that build houses shop at lowes and home depot for a LOT of their construction needs. Everything from toilets to the lighting fixtures. Often they can buy the same materials at a lot less of a price saving them money.

toilets are one thing. living plant material is another. the reason i don't like the box stores is because the plant material is of a worse grade than the wholesalers around here. Yes they're cheaper, but I won't stake my reputation against them. I will for my wholesaler's plants.

I also know alot of general contractors/carpenters. They don't all go to HD, some do goto the smaller lumberyards. Usually the reasons are quality & service--less likely that you're going to find boards that are split and bowed, and you have ppl there who help you load your truck.

I agree with you on competition, its grand, and vital in our economy.

PerfectEarth
04-11-2008, 09:59 PM
toilets are one thing. living plant material is another. the reason i don't like the box stores is because the plant material is of a worse grade than the wholesalers around here. Yes they're cheaper, but I won't stake my reputation against them. I will for my wholesaler's plants.

Exactly. I was thinking of this thread this evening when I went to the Depot to get another Jackson blue wheelbarrow... Well, the material they had was a joke. And apparently, they are starting to market plants as "Contractor" specials...WHATEVER. The boxwoods they had were pathetic-looking, half brown, horrible structure. They call it a #3 but the plant is seriously #1-2 size. #2 at best. Same for the Rhodos. Just horrible looking stuff.

And the prices?? Good, yea, for the quality of plant you get in the misleading container size. Bottom line- the stuff is not even in the smae ballpark as nursery-grade material. Maybe it was just this store, I dunno.

If you shop for plants here, then your landscapes are going to look like cheap, one-gallon, dotted masterpieces. Don't forget the rock "mulch!!"

Oh, and they're suckering all of the homeowners with all the pretty ANNUALS they have out right now. Marigolds, geraniums.... a month early. Can't wait 'till that frost hits- we'll just sell more!

Oh, and pine straw- 4.eighty-something per bale. The small, miniature bales. They were rotting already and the needles were disentegrating in my fingertips.

Sorry for the rant!!!:drinkup:

MOWEMJEFF
04-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Exactly. I was thinking of this thread this evening when I went to the Depot to get another Jackson blue wheelbarrow... Well, the material they had was a joke. And apparently, they are starting to market plants as "Contractor" specials...WHATEVER. The boxwoods they had were pathetic-looking, half brown, horrible structure. They call it a #3 but the plant is seriously #1-2 size. #2 at best. Same for the Rhodos. Just horrible looking stuff.

Sorry for the rant!!!:drinkup:

So I'm not the only one that is huanted by threads on here sometimes. I go places all the time and the first thing that pops to mind is "this person on lawnsite said" I dont know if thats a good or a bad thing but it happens a lot.

lawnscapesLLC
04-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Around me there are a ton of large farms. I've met a few of these farmers and they have contracts to sell their plants to either home depot or lowes in the area and some of the local nurseries in the area as well. The one farm loads up a huge truck and makes a drop at a local nursery and then that same truck makes a stop at lowes. The lowes price is cheaper for literally the exact same plant. I dont know about other areas but for some plants around here they are all locally grown. I think it's pretty cool that some of the "big box" stores are supporting the local farmers around here.

Superior L & L
04-13-2008, 08:54 AM
I was at the depot yesterday. They had very nice dwarf alberta spruces 6-7' for $100 now these are big albertas and they looked great

hef37087
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I have been in the business for 16 yrs...12 working for someone else and 4 yrs on my own part time. I went from a landscape company to work for Depot in the garden center. The major problem with Depot is they don't care. They used to keep plants outside yr round regardless of temperatures. I used to ask about bringing plants in or covering them for winter storage and they told me not to worry about it. I told them that the freezing weather could freeze and kill the roots so that when warm weather surfaced that you couldn't keep them watered enough to survive and they said it didn't matter. So to anyone who does buy from Depot...be careful on what you buy at the first of spring.

lucky4511
04-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Brehobs in Indianapolis, also on the northside in Noblesville is an excellant nursery, they have very helpful sales staff and front office staff. They are never too busy to answer questions or make suggestions for us. We have been in business for 8 years and use them almost exclusively. The application process was quick and painless! Hobbs Nursery on the westside is also a great place, however, at times their material is slightly higher in price than Brehob.

We will always check out our wholesale nursery first, but have had several occasions where a quick trip to HD or Lowe's just made more sense.

Be fair to the local Indianapolis nurseries - they do a great job!

Rcgm
04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Brehobs is horrible they always have been and always will be the lady at the front desk is a rude B***H. I hate that nursery and will never go back.

RCGM
brad

lucky4511
04-13-2008, 05:15 PM
maybe you should look in the mirror.....she is always super nice to me, as well as the other owner and one employee that is on the buy list. All we had to do to get on the buy list is provide 3 vendors that we have done commercial business with - the process was complete in just a few days. They have great product and service. Shemin Nursery is extremely expensive - which I assume is why they offer a one year warranty - although they do have nice material.

flascaper
04-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Thats strange i always found the prices way too high at home depot and the Quality was very bad. Dry crap every where. I was there today to buy something special for my grandmothers B-day and was dissapointed. I decided on some Plumbago that I get at my nursery for 4.50 per 3gal. HD was selling the same 3 gal ( dry as a bone) for 9.00 each!

Rcgm
04-20-2008, 08:07 PM
maybe you should look in the mirror.....she is always super nice to me, as well as the other owner and one employee that is on the buy list. All we had to do to get on the buy list is provide 3 vendors that we have done commercial business with - the process was complete in just a few days. They have great product and service. Shemin Nursery is extremely expensive - which I assume is why they offer a one year warranty - although they do have nice material.

LOL I look in the mirror ten times a day. I can name 20 landscape companys in greater Indianapolis that says the same thing about her. Brehobs has the market I agree but the know they do and I find them rude and abnoxious.

RCGM
Brad

RedWingsDet
04-20-2008, 11:46 PM
He was so happy with the Spruces he said WOW you can't find bushes like that at lowes or home depot.:cool2:

RCGM
Brad

thats when you say "damn straight, because I bought them all. lol