PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good mower for my situation.

ar22ar
04-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I have been mowing about 15-20 residential lawns each summer with a push mower for about 5 years now and was thinking about upgrading to a zero turn or a walk behind mower. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good mower that isn't too expensive. I also wanted a small deck size so I can make it through fences. Possibly something in the $2000-$5000range. Also, I plan to add more lawns over the next few years. Thank in advance for the help.

KS_Grasscutter
04-04-2008, 05:56 PM
42" Walker MCGHS.

LawnsUnlimitedatl
04-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Go with a good walkbehind. There are a many good company's that advertise on this website that are good commerical starter mowers. Just look around here and then go to the website. I would recommend getting one from a local dealer that is easy to get to just in case any problems arise.

MJS
04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
A Toro 36" would be a good choice - you could also get one of the Better Quick 36" mower - They seem to have a good reputation. 20 Lawns with a push mower?! Man, that's really a lot of work.

Whitey4
04-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Just signed a new customer today. I measured his gate... a new vinyl fence type. 38" wide. A machine that measures 37" W would be too tight, no room for error.

This is why I'm glad I bought a Quick 32. There isn't a gate I can't get through, the cut is great, and it's manuvuerable in these small yards. With the supplied high lift blades it's made my spring cleanups much easier with the Accelerator catcher. At only 319lbs, it's lighter than comparable machines and doesn't leave depressions or divots in the turf, at least when the turf isn't water saturated.

This is my first WB, and I've only operated the Scag 32 before, but the Quick kicks the Scag's hiney in almost every consideration. Less hand fatique, much lighter, easier to turn, better cut, but not as good on slopes and hills. No drive belt to slip in morning dew like the Scag. The single hdryo takes some people time to learn, but it's superior to a belt drive in almost everything IMO.

My 2 cents.

des1477
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I have the toro 34'' zero turn . Its right in your price range at 5,000. Very good mower.

Whitey4
04-04-2008, 11:34 PM
The Quick 32 with a 15 HP Kawi and Acclerelator bagger is under 3000. :)

ar22ar
04-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Those 32" mowers seem like a good mower for what I need. Are the quick 32's only available in NC or can I get one in Missouri? Also, how well do they hold up over time and abuse? I'm also interested in the toro but am unsure what the good models are. There are some toros at homedepot for pretty cheap but I believe those are residential and not commercial? Anyway, I'm gonna head to the dealer tomorrow just to look at a few mowers and get some more ideas.

Anyone ever own or use a Ferris Hydro? Just went to their website and they seem like solid mowers.

Thanks everyong for the help.

lifetree
04-05-2008, 05:07 AM
42" Walker MCGHS.

He said between $ 2-5 K !!

lifetree
04-05-2008, 05:13 AM
Those 32" mowers seem like a good mower for what I need. Are the quick 32's only available in NC or can I get one in Missouri ? ...

I would recommend the Quickie 32 also !! You buy them directly from the factory and they ship it to you on a pallet via ground transport. They are good commercial machines and will hold up to commercial use over several years.

BOP Website -- www.quick36.com

Valk
04-05-2008, 09:16 AM
As a former Toro 21 user I was concerned about leaving as nice and straight a stripe job with my Q32. Not any more! GREAT mower!! Is so easy to manuever...very nimble and user friendly.

supercuts
04-05-2008, 09:34 AM
ive just copied and pasted from another thread a few down since nobody appears to read any but thier own:

ive said it before on here, i should copy and paste. more important, IMO, is dealer service. most commercial machines are close, they all have pros and cons. all mowers break too. and when they do, you better have a good dealer who will stand behind the machine and fix it fast for you. id stop by a few local dealers, speak to someone about how fast they can get it fixed if it goes down. tell them your starting and want to build a long term relationship. i dont like all the brands my dealer sells but i buy though him because he goes the extra mile for me.

once you find a good dealer, come back and ask us to pick between the brands he sells.

good luck

with that said, i would reccomment a ZTR if you think you can get soem work. they are so much faster than a WB you'll be albe to do more quicker for more $per hour which will pay for the mower cost difference and you'll be more willing to work sitting your butt on one. and if you fail you'll be selling a nice machine for ethe rest of us to buy cheap!