PDA

View Full Version : Whats the going rate for pricing lawns?

HealyLawns33
04-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Im just getting started with a friend of mine this season and I have a pretty good idea of what the average price is to mow a lawn. I was in the business about 6 years ago, and obviously a few things have changed since then as far as the economy, fuel, etc...

We're not trying to become the biggest company in the area or anything like that, but we would like to think we could make a few bucks this season with 25-30 lawns or so.

Im in Southeastern Mass, so anyone close by, Im interested in your knowledge, advice and so on.
Thanks.

SkyLawncare
04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm just starting out as well. As I begin to realize how expensive it is to run a legitimate business, not to mention the fuel prices lately, I don't think I'll do a residential lawn for less than 35.00. If they want to hire someone for 25.00 then I don't need them as a customer. When you factor in the difference in income between a 30.00 cut, and a 35.00 cut, the difference over the course of a year is substantial. My first concern as a business owner is not to give the customer a screaming deal, my job is to make sure that I can sustain my business and generate a profit so I can continue enjoying what I wake up for in the morning every day. :)

Now, if you have customers pay cash, pay no taxes on income and work uninsured with a push mower, then I guess you could undercut the pros and steal some business that way.

bohiaa
04-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I have been in it for a while now.......

I am about twice as much as most around town, " and have been told so many times "

However, the service I provide includes spraying for ants, spraying around your home,
spraying the lawn for weeds, weeding out the flower beds, trimming the hedges, blowing everything off including the A/C Compressor.....
We provide fert, and when needed we will have your soil samples tested.
As a rule we cut any tree limb that will strike us while we walk under it..

Many have complained about our prices, however, once they see the work there blowned away.......

the service I provide is NOT for everyone.

I will NOT take the mow and blow accounts......

therefor it cost me money to provide these "EXTRA" services.....

My lowest account is 60.00 now mind ya, we dont have 1/4 acer lots here.

so when you think about what the going rate is...... the question that comes to my mind is What are you going to do ?

Everyone around town knows that when you call King Lawn care out, be ready to pay the big bucks, but you will have the nicest lawn on the block....

you can aim you company any direction you wish it to go........

If ya want to be a mow and blow....then your just a little above the Kid down the street with a mower.....
and this is where you will stay, Simply because of the rep you will recive......

Good Luck

lawnpro724
04-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Prices are lower than 6 yrs ago for mowing. I would get into to the landscaping side so you can make some money. Good luck

Whitetail Landscaping, MA
04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
We charge no less than $30.00 for a lawn, the kind that takes you 15 to 20 minutes from start to finish with 1 guy. About 1/4 of an acre. Hopefully this helps you! Whitetail

cutall1
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Im just getting started with a friend of mine this season and I have a pretty good idea of what the average price is to mow a lawn. I was in the business about 6 years ago, and obviously a few things have changed since then as far as the economy, fuel, etc...

We're not trying to become the biggest company in the area or anything like that, but we would like to think we could make a few bucks this season with 25-30 lawns or so.

Im in Southeastern Mass, so anyone close by, Im interested in your knowledge, advice and so on.
Thanks.

Im from scituate to, Im just starting.

HealyLawns33
04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone. I've been hearing about $40 for the average sized lawn which is a about a 1/4 acre around here, give or take. I guess the only true way to find out is to see how the customers re-act.
Thanks again.

supercuts
04-05-2008, 08:39 AM
nice to see everyone listened when you asked for guys from the area, texas, illinois, florida, all good and helpfull threads since they are in totally different areas of the country.

from CT, your neigboring state we have many simularities, my min is $35 and my average is somewhere near $45, havent checked it for this year. good luck

juicygrass
03-15-2010, 11:54 PM
If you cut a lawn in 30minutes for around 35dollars.can someone give me justification to where the 35 dollars is spent.I'm a little confused.I'm asking for a break down.

SDelPrete
03-16-2010, 08:42 AM
If you cut a lawn in 30minutes for around 35dollars.can someone give me justification to where the 35 dollars is spent.I'm a little confused.I'm asking for a break down.

you have to pay tax to government
gas in your truck, gas in your equiment
wear and tear on your equitment and truck
insurance on everything
plus you need to make some money after all that is done

HARRIS Property Management
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM

$17000 in equipment im pulling up to your $35 lawn is a good start on that breakdown you are asking for. Not including the $30,000 landscape truck.

If you have a $35 dollar lawn with me its going to be cut, edged, trimmed, blown and beds sprayed for weeds in 15 minutes, not 30.

DJJS
03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
if you try to go by a going rate you're really just pricing on a going out of business rate, price how you need to so you cover your expenses and make some money, everyones overheads different figure out your equipement run costs, fuel etc insurance workmans comp and all your other expenses and go from there