PDA

View Full Version : sports field sponsorship

Turfdoctor1
04-04-2008, 06:52 PM
i have a customer that has asked me to help with a local high school softball field. I have not seen the site, but I would assume somewhere ~ 2 acres of grass. He asked me if I would consider sponsoring the field and they would announce my name at the games, hang a banner, etc.

(1) If I was going to list my customers in order of the most difficult to deal with to the least difficult to deal with, this guy would be #1, literally. The first year I did his lawn, his wife let their dog out while I was working, it attacked me, ripping the sleeve of my shirt off, and I got the blame. Last year, he would not let me do my last round application, my most profitable, and now he calls complaining about his spring weeds. Duh, you quit me. Now, I took him back, because I make good money.

(2) He sounds like he wants me to do the work for free. At two acres, I have $700 just in product, not to mention overhead, etc.

(3) If it is that rough, why would I want my name on it anyway?

I guess I have already answered my own question, but, what are your thoughts? Assuming the school will actually pay me to do the work, would you take it?

evergreenedmond
04-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I would bid the job just like any other then tell him you'll take a percentage off of the bill for them hanging a sign & for plugging your company during games

no_longer_lurker
04-04-2008, 07:06 PM
if the school is gonna pay you, yeah I'd take the account

If this guy is saying (and it sounds like it to me) that you donate your time and products in exchange for a banner and mention during the games....then it depends;

if you're in a situation that you can afford the product and feel a community/social responsibility to the field, then there aint nothin wrong with performing charity

on the other hand, if you feel this guy is gonna complain about the appearance of the field (is it irrigated? is softball the only sport or does the field double as a football field as well?) for a service that you offer free of charge...might be best to graciously say no thanks

Ric
04-04-2008, 08:59 PM
if the school is gonna pay you, yeah I'd take the account

If this guy is saying (and it sounds like it to me) that you donate your time and products in exchange for a banner and mention during the games....then it depends;

if you're in a situation that you can afford the product and feel a community/social responsibility to the field, then there aint nothin wrong with performing charity

on the other hand, if you feel this guy is gonna complain about the appearance of the field (is it irrigated? is softball the only sport or does the field double as a football field as well?) for a service that you offer free of charge...might be best to graciously say no thanks

Yo

Been there, Done that and got "F" real good.

humble1
04-04-2008, 09:31 PM
i have a customer that has asked me to help with a local high school softball field. I have not seen the site, but I would assume somewhere ~ 2 acres of grass. He asked me if I would consider sponsoring the field and they would announce my name at the games, hang a banner, etc.

(1) If I was going to list my customers in order of the most difficult to deal with to the least difficult to deal with, this guy would be #1, literally. The first year I did his lawn, his wife let their dog out while I was working, it attacked me, ripping the sleeve of my shirt off, and I got the blame. Last year, he would not let me do my last round application, my most profitable, and now he calls complaining about his spring weeds. Duh, you quit me. Now, I took him back, because I make good money.

(2) He sounds like he wants me to do the work for free. At two acres, I have $700 just in product, not to mention overhead, etc.

(3) If it is that rough, why would I want my name on it anyway?

I guess I have already answered my own question, but, what are your thoughts? Assuming the school will actually pay me to do the work, would you take it?

I have done stuff for free before people forget real fast. Your not in buisness to not make money

rcreech
04-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I take care of my local schools athletic comples which is 11.5 acres and I charge them full price.

If they call a plumber or an electrician....do they ask them to donate and say they will mention them during the game?

I would say:

Sorry to be a hard butt....but donations don't pay the bills!

MnLefty
04-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Somewhat agree with the others... if you feel the school is a worthy cause and you might get some business out of it I would donate time only, never materials. At cost of materials it's just volunteer time you're giving. If you donate the whole thing, well it's just that, a monetary donation along with the time. At that price, not worth it, IMHO.

Turfdoctor1
04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
thanks guys. i appreciate the great responses.

i am all about volunteering, doing things nice for other people. But, i would rather do that for my church, people I know, or at least people I like. This guy is literally probably my least favorite person that I know.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-05-2008, 01:50 AM
I think it's only charity if you're not coerced into it. It needs to be YOUR choice. Otherwise it's just guilt and peer pressure.

humble1
04-05-2008, 10:07 AM
I donate time and materials to a Big Brothers Big Sisters Auction,lots of people hear and see it, I get to deduct because they are a recognied charity by the IRS. The only other thing I would consider is for a radio station where they would put my name out over the air.