PDA

View Full Version : Pricing out a bed reconstruction

wratke
04-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I had my first call of the season this week, it's for a rebuild of a three tiered wooden flower bed. A drunk drove through a fence and smashed the existing bed to bits. I'm doing an estimate for hauling away the remnants of the last bed, remaking the new bed with the same design, dirt for the bed, painting, as well as taking out a small piece of sod where the truck leaded oil everywhere. I was also going to dig out an inch or so of the gravel around the bed and put some newer gravel down, possibly pea gravel. I installed two beds for a client last year, and I felt that I underpriced them, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't underselling my self this time. It's also an estimate for the insurance company, so I wonder how that should factor in.

So roughly:
14 hours labour X $50/hr - $700 labour
materials(wood, dirt, gravel, misc) - $350
demo/hauling away old bed and contaminated dirt - $100

So I'm looking at quoting them roughly $1150 not including tax. Does that seem too high? Too low? I'm in Canada so that might complicate things if everyone is used to thinking in terms of the US dollars, although our currency is pretty close to parity right now.

Any advice would be great.