PDA

View Full Version : Logo Help

Summerscapes
04-04-2008, 09:07 PM
What do y'all think?

Which do you like best?

Chris J
04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
I think you should change the name altogether. SOL means Sh!$ out of Luck, so you are at the mercy not only of your customers but also your competition who will play this back on you 100 different ways. Before you make the commitment to spend $$ on this plan, I believe you should re- think this idea. Otherwise you are going to be SOL!

Get it?

Summerscapes
04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm pretty committed to this name...I do like the the acronym meaning SUN...I appreciate the advise but I think SOL = S&!@ out of luck would be a greater concern if I ran a web-based business. While my customer base is certainly internet savvy, the SOL connotation is more for message boards and such.

here's another logo

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
My $0.02 :

Of the first three logos the middle one is the best, but I would center the company name above the graphic rather then right justify it

I am not a fan of the 1st as the fixture is goofy looking, the third looks like a fireball or bomb going off, the 4th one looks like you might be installing PAR38 Floods everywhere.

As for the name... well I think you could do better there too. Summerscapes is ok I guess, but what about the other seasons? And could there be any more variations of a company name using Scapes in it??

For a couple of hundred bucks, I would be talking to a business identity consultant.

Have a great day.

NightLightingFX
04-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Summerscapes,
What does professional outdoor lighting mean to you? Does it mean two line voltage par 30 light bulbs shinning up in the air? That is what I see in your 4th logo. I would try to avoid highlighting a lightbulb or a fixture in your logo. See the effect not the source has been mentioned numerous times on this forum. I would try to create some type of logo that represents evening elegance. The 2nd and 3rd logo don't make me think of outdoor lighting. I just got an idea, do some kind of sunset logo or something? I hope I didn't sound like a jerk. Just my $.02.
~Ned

NightLightingFX
04-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Summerscapes,
I can't say that my business it fully thriving yet, you should probably listen to someone more successfull than me, but for some reason I really think you are on the wong track regarding name and logo. I don't quite understand why the "sun" or "sol" is so important for your logo when you want to get into professional outdoor lighting which is an evening thing. To me, outdoor lighting is more a kin to the "moon" vs "sun." The sun is kind of the opposite of outdoor lighting. As an outdoor lighting professionals we don't want to light everything up to look like day time. We want to softly accent things to create a rare elegance that is not often experienced. Something more like "moonlighting." When the word "sun" is mentioned outdoor lighting is the furthest from my mind. I think "LUNA" would be better than "SOL." I am also confussed about what "Summerscapes" means. And how that relates to outdoor lighting. If someone just saw the word "Summerscapes" what would come to their mind? I am guessing most people would think it is landscaping. What do your friends and family think about the name? On the other hand, you have to like your name and logo. If you REALLY love your name go for it. You should look at other outdoor lighting professionals web pages to get some more ideas. I just recently changed my logo and upgraded my website. You can check it out at www.nightlightingfx.com and then give me a hard time about my ideas. Dude I know this logo & name thing is tough. I understand liking an idea and wanting to stick with it but I really think your on the wrong track regarding your name and obsession with the "SOL."
~Ned

amscapes03
04-06-2008, 11:28 PM
The second one would be the best if Summerscapes Outdoor Lighting was centered and below SOL. Put the red sun rays above the O in SOL.

steveparrott
04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I think you could work with the third one. Instead of the spikes, I would keep the full circle, give it a nice gradient to simulate ground to sky at sunset. You could also put (inside the circle) a line drawing of a rooftop with a simple cone of light illuminating it.

For a real professional review, submit your logo here: http://www.webproworld.com/submit-your-logo-review/

JoeyD
04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I agree with Steve. I like the 3rd one over, I think it just needs to be tuned up.

extlights
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I'd say that which ever one you choose to use, I'd maybe make you're name a little larger. Until you're truly branded in your area and people know your logo, you don't want you're logo so big that it takes away from the company name. If you're driving down the road and people can read SOL great, but if they can't read your name and what you do then it's not going to do much good. If you're married to your name and one of these logo's then use it, my advice would be just to make sure everything is proportionate and the most important factors are the ones standing out.