PDA

View Full Version : payments, cash,credit or checks

edgeman2003
04-04-2008, 09:35 PM
What types of payments do you guys get from the customers? About credit, do you guys have a swipe machine(portable). Do you take the credit card number over the phone? Anyone have problems with customer paying by checks?

Dave_005
04-05-2008, 09:27 AM
i accept either Cash or Check. i dont do credit cards, i figure i do the work so i dont want to pay the credit card company a percentage for every credit transaction.

Dave_005
04-05-2008, 09:29 AM
never problems with checks

Reliable Lawn Care
04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
i accept either Cash or Check. i dont do credit cards, i figure i do the work so i dont want to pay the credit card company a percentage for every credit transaction.

I agree. I also have not had a problem with checks, knock on wood. I don't like the idea of cc companies getting 3 or so percent of our income.

Sweet Tater
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Cash for new customers, checks if you've been with me for a bit. never never any credit cards.

AI Inc
04-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Checks, 90% of our service is billed. New installs 1/3 down , balance upon completion .

IN2MOWN
04-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Checks, thats it. In 7 years I have had 1 problem with a bad check and it was rectified within 2 days.

CLARK LAWN
04-05-2008, 04:47 PM
i take credit cards it has acually gotten me some commercial work because they can only pay with a cc. i either get the # over the phone or on the contract with some customers. works good in the winter when you get all these one time plow calls, i get a credit card number before we go out to plow so i can do it when nobodys home and dont have to chase around for payment

GreenthumbGA
04-05-2008, 06:39 PM
You have to be able to justify the cost of operating a credit card machine.

If you typically have clients put money under the door and stuff like that, you will not be better off with a cc machine.

We bill once a month and sometimes in between.

40 dollars in stamps
envelopes, paper, ink in printer for invoices, time to stuff envelopes.

This easily equals 80 to 100 dollars.

A credit card machine varies but you can do all you need to do under 100 a month. Send out invoices by email, no running checks to the bank, money directly deposited, and you can even set up auto draft taking the money for services out yourself each month. Using a combination of Gogher, quikbooks, and the CC machine, you are able to get the best of all the worlds.

Cleints are more and more going to plastic. Very few people walk around in life with checks anymore. But you have to be able to justify the cost, for me its profitable.