PDA

View Full Version : How long before I must apply crabgrass control in NE

Hrock
04-05-2008, 06:32 AM
on one new account I want to start with a good starter juicing and was wondering how long can it go before I have to get the crabgrass control down (northeast)
Thanks in advance.

humble1
04-05-2008, 09:20 AM
cough i have seen a few big chemical companies that sound like cotts but with another letter in the front. anyway they put down pre emergent before easter, snow still everywhere

no_longer_lurker
04-05-2008, 11:55 AM
on one new account I want to start with a good starter juicing and was wondering how long can it go before I have to get the crabgrass control down (northeast)
Thanks in advance.

we're down the road, around the corner and up the highway a bit from you.

general rule of thumb you'll want that preemergent on the turf by 1st week in May. Depending on the product you are using.
Our shut off date for Rnd 1 is May 10

Uranus
04-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Before the forsythia bloom. If the blooms drop, YOUR LATE

gsxr1100
04-05-2008, 06:29 PM
my Pre-m or dim will be going down tomorrow in MA

heritage
04-05-2008, 07:01 PM
This season before May 1st in North/Central New Jersey.

Pete

lawns Etc
04-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Well I have a few large Crabgrasses in my own yard that started yesterday in S Jersey all of my customers are already done but mine got a shot of Dimension today so you better get it down soon in zone 6

RigglePLC
04-05-2008, 08:12 PM
On the Scotts Turfbuilder plus Halts bag it says "Apply between the second and fifth mowing."

Or...apply before the soil temp hits 55. Measure with metal cooking thermometer at one inch deep in the shade, under turfgrass. Rule of thumb--before the air temp hits 80 degrees. Start over if there is a frost. If soil is dry-- germination will be delayed.

If you prefer to use Growing Degree Days base 50--I suggest (personal opinion) between 450 and 900 GDD.

The above all will have different results, of course. Thin sandy soil and soil on the south side of buildings will warm up first of course.

Zone 5, must complete applications by May 10th.

Whitey4
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM

While plant phenological timing mechanisms are fairly reliable, at least as CG pre-M's are concerned relating to forsythia bloom, I disagree if this is how you time your app. Before forsythia bloom is too early. Full bloom to 75% full bloom drop isn't too late.

Soil temps and GDD's are better timing mechanisms, but depending on how fast you can complete you round 1, if it's done before complete bloom drop occurs, it should be fine. The Achilles heel with using forsythia bloom is that three warm days in a row can get soil temps over 55 fast.... and then, I would say it could be too late for complete CB control.

Hrock
04-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Thank you very much guys, I juiced it with starter and I will be getting the crabgrass control down in the next few weeks I am going to hit it with tupersan now though.
:drinkup:

heritage
04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Thank you very much guys, I juiced it with starter and I will be getting the crabgrass control down in the next few weeks I am going to hit it with tupersan now though.
:drinkup:

Good,

Remember Tupersan only lasts about a month.....Usually enough time to get some seed up and cut.

Pete

philk17088
04-06-2008, 02:34 PM
actually its time to apply at forsytia petal drop.

Whitey4
04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Good,

Remember Tupersan only lasts about a month.....Usually enough time to get some seed up and cut.

Pete

I was about to say that.... but I read page two first! Actually, I think you can get 6 weeks out of it, but it does need a follow up app of another Pre-M... the timing is important. Too early with a second pre_m and you will kill the late germinating grass seed, too late and the CB will break through the barrier. I'd follow up thre siduron (Tupersan) with a straight pendi app at 5 weeks.

Is Prodiamine available straight, not as a combo product? Or the AI in Dimension? I hate straight Pendi.... such a mess.