PDA

View Full Version : exmark mulching and thick grass

mac43rn
11-29-2001, 12:34 AM
I know I have posted a lot the past few days but I must extend my appreciation once again. I have narrowed my search for the perfect mower down to the exmark hp or the exmark turf tracer hp with 36" deck. This will be used to mow lawns 1/2 acre or less. My yard is right at 1/2 acre and the other yards I will be cutting are less then this. My yard is irrigated, will receive 4-5 various treatments a year. What I am getting at is this yard will be thick and green a large portion of the year. My question is how does the emark mulching kit work in this type of grass. (By the way the grass is a three way blend tall fescue with 10% ky bluegrass.) I did a search a find several post on how well the mulch kit does on leaves, but leaves are not a big problem for my lawn. How well does it do in thick grass.

Thanks

65hoss
11-29-2001, 01:10 AM
Its gggrrrrreeeaattt!! I use my mulch kit on the 36" year round. Never comes off.

Premo Services
11-29-2001, 07:43 AM
65hoss Its gggrrrrreeeaattt!! I use my mulch kit on the 36" year round. Never comes off.

Hoss is right. they work real good. I noticed that you have bluegrass, and fescue. When it is wet just make sure to turn off your blades before going over concrete drives, or sidewalks. If you don`t, what a mess!!!!!! :eek:

Lawn Dog2001
11-29-2001, 12:58 PM
My Emarks mulches everything good, accept for the lawn you just described. I seem to have troubles mulching in high or wet lawn conditions. This spring I often had to double cut certain lawns. Once we got into late May everything seemed to improve, as we began to accumulate less rain. I dont bag anything though. My mulching kits stay on year round. So all in all i dont have too many complaints.

TGCummings
11-29-2001, 01:04 PM
You might have to work with different blade setups to find the cut you want. When I use my 36" Exmark TTHP with double "gator" blades (copycat gators just like the ones that Eric uses! :) ), thick grass mulches great, but the blow out is pretty severe. Makes a nasty mess on adjoining walks and landscape beds. When I use single "gators" I get a lot less blow out but I get a lot of clumping on turns.

Last year, the standard Exmark mulching blades worked best of all, but their wavy design is so much harder to sharpen with a dedicated blade grinder, so I gave up using them. I have not had a chance to run high lift/"gator" combination yet or "gator"/mulching blade setup, but I plan to try real soon. With the wavy blade on top, it won't have to be sharpened as much but might just make the difference I'm looking for.

What combos are you other guys using?

Lawn Dog2001
11-29-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by TGCummings

What combos are you other guys using?

I am just using the standard Emark mulching blades that came with the kit.

casey
11-29-2001, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by mac43rn
but leaves are not a big problem for my lawn. How well does it do in thick grass.

Terrible!
Take it off if you're cutting thick turf. Exmark deck doesn't discharge thick turf well either but it will be better than mulching.

65hoss
11-29-2001, 04:38 PM
I cut thick bermuda and zoysia all the time. Thick grass isn't a big deal. Unless you don't have good sharp blades.

Casey, weren't you the one that doesn't sharpen blades often????

casey
11-29-2001, 04:54 PM
Sharpen every 3-5 days. The front chamber baffles prevent effective discharge. We use an SFS deck in the spring. Thick turf with minimal growth Exmark deck works fair depending on how damp the turf is.