PDA

View Full Version : help identify this grass

shh5455
04-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Maybe a perennial rye? The lawn has several clumps.

KACYDS
04-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Its a type of ryegrass for sure. Normally perennial rye doesnt get that big. Its probably annual rye. Hope this helps.

Runner
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
That is tall fescue. Not a turf type, though. It is K-31. It's the same ting you see growing in some yards that grows in clumps, and is 2 inches higher than all the other grass 3 days after you mow it. It's funny how many people call this stuff crabgrass, too. I wish I had a dollar forevery estimate I went to that the customer (potential) asked about or commented about the "crabgrass" in their yard.

cgaengineer
04-05-2008, 04:09 PM
K-31 (Fescue) like BIGW said, you can either pull it out by hand or hit the area with some Image. You can find Image at HomeDepot both in hose end sprayer and concentrate for spot spraying. If the lawn is completely dormant you can spray with RoundUp...I hesitate to tell you this as sometimes its hard to tell if a lawn is 100% dormant and you can end up with spots in your lawn that are brown after the lawn greens up. By the looks of your picture RoundUp would not be an option for you right now.

DiyDave
04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
If it really is KY 31, when you pull back the leaves near the crown, there will be a purplish color near the bottom of the white area nearest to the crown. Otherwise ryegrass is a little shinier on the bottom of the leaf than KY 31.

rcreech
04-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Its a type of ryegrass for sure. Normally perennial rye doesnt get that big. Its probably annual rye. Hope this helps.

K-31 it is!

mroman
08-23-2008, 10:59 AM
K-31 (Fescue) like BIGW said, you can either pull it out by hand or hit the area with some Image. You can find Image at HomeDepot both in hose end sprayer and concentrate for spot spraying. If the lawn is completely dormant you can spray with RoundUp...I hesitate to tell you this as sometimes its hard to tell if a lawn is 100% dormant and you can end up with spots in your lawn that are brown after the lawn greens up. By the looks of your picture RoundUp would not be an option for you right now.

I'm having a tough time with this fescue in my lawn as well. Not only in clumps like usual but spattered throughout my KBG lawn. I live in the Chicago area and wanted to know about the method you mentioned. You said to wait for the lawn to be 100% dormant then spray the entire lawn with RoundUp? Wouldn't this kill off all the grass not just the fescue? I'm curious to get this problem taken care of cheaply because it seems that Certainty or Corsair are the only professional options out there.

Thank you!

grassman177
08-23-2008, 07:37 PM
you cant spray round up after dormancy, dont try it! this only works on zyosia and then not always as i have found. it will kill your kbg. this is hand remove or total kill for your situation.