PDA

View Full Version : centipede grass

Flipper
11-29-2001, 05:46 AM
I have a small area of cetipede grass that has begun to grow in my yard, and I would like to transplant this over the entire yard. I would like to know how to do this. Should I use the plug method, or cut actual squares, or what? What time should I do this? Should I use a fertilizer? I appreciate any help.

KerryB
11-29-2001, 09:07 AM
If that is what you really want, then apply iron sometime between march-may. In may sow seed or just dig some of the sprigs and plant them in the area you want to cover. And be very patient.
In mid June use 1/2 pound of N per 1m
8-8-24 is good. Or any high potassium fert.
Apply iron again about 2 oz per 1m. You can fert again in Aug.
About 6 weeks before expected frost apply 1lb of potash per1m.
Oh and dont forget to water, about 1in per week.
Hope this helps.

Charles
11-29-2001, 10:19 AM
They make this T-bar type plugger with a round cylinder on the base. Don't know where you can get it. Just go to the centipede if you have enough and switch the dirt plug with the centipede plug. Do it in Late spring after there is no chance of frost. Need plenty of sunlight

KirbysLawn
11-29-2001, 11:46 AM
It is a slow spreading grass so I would consider seeding with a slit-seeder next spring. Here is a good website for info: http://www.centipedegrass.com/

Flipper
12-04-2001, 03:27 AM
Thanks a lot guys!!!!

65hoss
12-04-2001, 12:13 PM
Don't overdo anything with centipede. Its a good grass, just not real tolerant to chemicals and high fert.

mtwchw
07-25-2007, 08:42 AM
They make this T-bar type plugger with a round cylinder on the base. Don't know where you can get it. Just go to the centipede if you have enough and switch the dirt plug with the centipede plug. Do it in Late spring after there is no chance of frost. Need plenty of sunlight

Charles...

You say "They"; could you be more specific about who they are. I am looking to find this type of plugger and am having difficulty. My Father has this type but I could not find the manufacturers name on his. I have tried all of the square models and they are not satisfactory

Thanks,
Mark

KTO Enterprises
07-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I have one of those pluggers. Came with a starter kit for centipede once.

I have found the best way to spread this stuff is to cut several stolons (the runners) out of established areas. Soften up the area you wish to plant it, stick it in the ground and keep wet. Around here centepede will spread rather quickly.

It is called the poor mans grass for a reason. Only need to fertilize once a year in the spring. Cut no more that every 12 days, I find that 14 days is the best. Too frequent of mowings will stress the lawn. Dont bag the clippings, mulch as they provide the best source of nutrients for your lawn.

mtwchw
07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I am trying to grow a St. Augustine lawn. What I was interested in was finding a good plugger. I have a square one and it works OK at best. My father got a plugger about 20 years ago that is round and has a plunger in the middle. I used this to transfer about 200 plugs in his yard (Va Beach) this past weekend and really liked the feel and function of his. I have been unsuccessful finding one like his. I would just borrow his, but I live in Ga and he in VA that makes for a long trek. I took pictures of his and would post them but I do not see a way to post a picture on this site.

Mark

BQLC
07-26-2007, 01:11 PM
scroll down when you are posting a reply that is where you can post a pic

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Why not just sod, it's quick, instant result. A 50 sq yard pallet cost around $85. If you just try to seed, it will take a few years before you get decent results, centipede is a slow grower from just seed plus a 3lb bag of it is around $130.

RonB
07-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I agree with the sodding - instant yard. Anything else is going to take weeks, months, years.

Centipede pallets here are 400 (maybe 450, forget) sq. ft. - about $140.

RAlmaroad
07-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I have centipede and St. Augustine both in my SC yard. Forget plugging as it takes way too long to establish a lawn. Save yourself some headache and seed. Sod that yard. You will be glad. The only thing is that it will need to be watered. I'm replacing the centipede with St. Augustine. Centipede is pretty but does not like high traffic. The St. Augustine will tolerate the shade while centipede won't die but will not get lush and thick. St. Augustine likes a lot of nitrogen while centipede likes only about a pound/K per year. However centipede IS more tolerent to some chemicals than St. Augustine.
I've sowed good centipede and it all germinates but grows so slowly. Research and look at both grasses and talk with the owners. I like both but favor the St. Augustine for the shade and centipede for the sun. The centipede dows make a prettier lawn than the St. Augustine.
Difficult decision to make.
Roy