PDA

View Full Version : Recession?????

rcreech
04-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Did somebody say we are in a recession?

I sent out a post card about two weeks ago....and at first no calls.

I thought.....CRAP!

But the rain was falling and snow flakes here and there.

Sunshine is out and phone is ringing off the hook and has been for over a week.

Have picked up 17 customers since last Friday. Also, a lot of my current customer are calling and stopping me while on their lawn and adding extras such as perimeter, moles and seeding.

What are you guys seeing out there?

If we are in a recession....I hope we stay in it for a while! :laugh:

Life is good!

gregory
04-05-2008, 05:43 PM
not all of us are that busy.........different market.....but slow.....

Blink74
04-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Same here in Cols. I did 5k bag inserts on the first week of march and only got one call. Fortunately, it turned into a sale. I had the same 5k homes hit a second time last week and the phone is ringing off the hook. I'm getting a lot of calls from the Yellow Pages as well.

rcreech
04-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Thats awesome Blink!

I think that just shows how important TIMING is when advertising and marketing!

I think next year I am going to wait until the last week of March or 1st week of April.

Every year is different though!

Got another three calls since I posted earlier today! Things are going crazy! Never would have dreamed this would have happened this year!

Good Luck!

Whitey4
04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm not seeing it either, Rodney. I have gotten so many extra jobs for plant installs, ivy eradication, mulching and other stuff that even with the limited number of accounts I have I am balls to the walls. I even have one customer that wants me to renovate an old water feature. They are still spending around here...

rcreech
04-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not seeing it either, Rodney. I have gotten so many extra jobs for plant installs, ivy eradication, mulching and other stuff that even with the limited number of accounts I have I am balls to the walls. I even have one customer that wants me to renovate an old water feature. They are still spending around here...

Ivy eradication?

Please tell me more!

I have a customer that wanted her Ivy taken out last year and I didn't have any success with the "waxy" leaf cuticle!

I tried Gly and Scythe.

NO LUCK!

Please let me know!

Thanks,
RC

EJK2352
04-06-2008, 12:26 AM

I think we will see people spending $$$$$ at the homestead. Since most I've talked to are planning on staying home instead of traveling/vacationing. I have talked to a few customers that some want extras. Even with a price increase I have had zero cancels so far, knock on wood.

Ric
04-06-2008, 01:45 PM
not all of us are that busy.........different market.....but slow.....

Gregory

My area just a little North of you, seems to be a combination of Haves and Have-Not. Being mostly a retirement community, the up scale retired folks are spending, Lucky for me. Working class and low income retired are hurting big time. Foreclosures are ramped and there are 7 Repo tow trucks working my small town. One Customer is a Remodel contractor who hooked up with the banks early on. They are caring for the Foreclosed houses for the banks. Mostly boarding up windows and cutting the grass once a month to keep the county from fining them. People are leaving Florida for greener pastures. I hear horror stories all the time.

BTW I am seeing a big increase in the cost of groceries and I am not a coupon clipper or price watcher. Stupid things like that afternoon soda and candybar that was $ 2.00 is now $ 3.50

Ric
04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Gregory

My area just a little North of you, seems to be a combination of Haves and Have-Not. Being mostly a retirement community, the up scale retired folks are spending, Lucky for me. Working class and low income retired are hurting big time. Foreclosures are ramped and there are 7 Repo tow trucks working my small town. One Customer is a Remodel contractor who hooked up with the banks early on. They are caring for the Foreclosed houses for the banks. Mostly boarding up windows and cutting the grass once a month to keep the county from fining them. People are leaving Florida for greener pastures. I hear horror stories all the time.

BTW I am seeing a big increase in the cost of groceries and I am not a coupon clipper or price watcher. Stupid things like that afternoon soda and candybar that was $ 2.00 is now $ 3.50

Yo

I just remembered an other stupid price increase. The 5 McDonald's in the county are all owned by the same family. The North end of the county is hurting the worst. Big Mac's are $ 2.35 The South end of the county is where the Up scale retirees live. Big Mac's are $ 2.85. The closest Big Mac to my House is $ 2.80. I am sure at one time Big Mac's cost less than a Dollar to make. We have all seen them on sale for a dollar. BTW I counted employees at my local Mickey D's one day at lunch. 16 people were working the lunch rush including the manager. And they say there are no jobs. American the land of opportunity and minimum wage

lawn king
04-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Things are very slow in massachusetts! Last week i had to haul my machine 30 miles to a job. Morning rush on rt. 128 never happend, not many trucks out there because the local economy is dead.

phasthound
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
My business has increased 18% compared to last year to date. :)

Frue
04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I have lost a few but raised everyone up. I got alot of commercial bids but they all stated they want the cheapest bid. Out of 7 bids I got 0.

Rayholio
04-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Recession, and depression will effect those who are not trying all that hard.. If you're willing to work, and unwilling to quit... you'll be fine..

rcreech
04-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Very well said! :clapping:

humble1
04-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Things are very slow in massachusetts! Last week i had to haul my machine 30 miles to a job. Morning rush on rt. 128 never happend, not many trucks out there because the local economy is dead.

amen brother

ted putnam
04-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I guess I'm lucky here. Natural gas drilling everywhere. Add that to people leaving Little Rock for better schools and better living and we've had a boom here.I am picking up new customers but I will say this. I think the middle class is taking the hardest hit. I'm getting the 3-6k lawns and the 15-30k lawns. Not as many of the 7-15k lawns as normal. At least the phone is ringing... It could be worse!

humble1
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM

Ah rt 128 everytime i drive it, i feel like i am on a racetrack, my stress levels go up thru the roof. God forbid someone will let you switch lanes or use a directional signal*trucewhiteflag*

Whitey4
04-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Recession, and depression will effect those who are not trying all that hard.. If you're willing to work, and unwilling to quit... you'll be fine..

Ray, that is a nice thought.... but sometimes just busting yer butt isn't going to be enough. I think that some areas of the country have been hit harder than others. For some, it's more like last man standing. To be the last man, it's a whole lot more than toughing it out. It's about having a business plan that isn't over-finacned and has a plan for dealing with downturns in local economies that will allow one to get through a ressecion.

That's more than just working harder, it's business strategy. Let's face it.... us guys generally don't have a backup plan for a downturn in business, me included. We weather the storms we can, but we don't have a strategy to survive very bad downturns. Truely solid business plans DO have contingencies for this.

Mainly, it revolves around financial planning. I'm too freakin busy working to pay attention to it, and I suspect that is the case with most of us. Next off season, this aspect on my business plan is the top priority. Get out of all debt, get more efficient, and as always, and more effective ways to advertise and differentiate my services from the next guy.

Rayholio
04-08-2008, 12:45 AM
during the great depression, the unemployment rate peaked at 20%.. that means 80% were still working... hardly last man standing.

granted, you need to work smart, and if you do, you may be able to actually see growth in a recession...

but if you need to put food on the table, and you're willing to work for it... it'll happen

I wanted to add that I run my business debt free.. our longest loan was for 2 years, and was secured with a cash bond. This means that if the GREAT GREAT depression hits tomorrow, I can walk away and concentrate on keeping that food on the table if need be. This is a tactic, not a strategy, however it makes the formulation of a sound business strategy a lot less stressful.

rcreech
04-08-2008, 07:58 AM
during the great depression, the unemployment rate peaked at 20%.. that means 80% were still working... hardly last man standing.

granted, you need to work smart, and if you do, you may be able to actually see growth in a recession...

but if you need to put food on the table, and you're willing to work for it... it'll happen

I wanted to add that I run my business debt free.. our longest loan was for 2 years, and was secured with a cash bond. This means that if the GREAT GREAT depression hits tomorrow, I can walk away and concentrate on keeping that food on the table if need be. This is a tactic, not a strategy, however it makes the formulation of a sound business strategy a lot less stressful.

I agree with Whitey on the business plan...but you are right on!

If a man wants to work he can! No matter what situation your area is in, there is always work!

That is great you can run your business debt free. That is awesome and a great feeling I am sure!

I remember those days, but they are long gone. I am not too deep, but still not debt free!

I just figured up a couple weeks ago, and just for my fertilizer alone (farm and lawns) I spent over $54,000 this year. That doesn't include all the other stuff needed. That is why I have to borrow money! :cry:

Very good post!

ProLawns
04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
March was a record month for me, up 8% from last year. The area i'm in seems to be immune to the recession plus I have some real wealthy customers. :)