PDA

View Full Version : Another Soliciting question on flyers

Sym
04-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I had a couple putting out flyers in neighborhoods...your typical cookie cutter type places....of course there is a no soliciting sign at the front of the subdivision.

I got a nasty call from a resident about the no soliciting sign and that he was going to contact the HOA etc.... then he went on about "tresspassing". were they?

I haven't called the guy back yet..should I?

thanx

maintenanceguy
04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
If there was a notice that you couldn't be on that property for that purpose and you were anyway then yes...you were trespassing.

But, who cares if he calls the home owner's association. What are they going to do. If they had called the cops while you were there, the cops would have likely ignored it. If they did send someone out he would have told you that you can't do that here and asked you to leave. That's okay you were going to leave as soon as you were done anyway.

And why would you even consider calling the guy back? Wait a minute, maybe you should. A great chance to practice your sales skills. See if you can talk him into a contract...a 5 year contract.

GreenthumbGA
04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
If you are in the rights spirits, call him back, apoligize, and move on. No big deal. My guys do it all the time.....call them back.

Dave_005
04-05-2008, 11:31 PM
I had a couple putting out flyers in neighborhoods...your typical cookie cutter type places....of course there is a no soliciting sign at the front of the subdivision.

I got a nasty call from a resident about the no soliciting sign and that he was going to contact the HOA etc.... then he went on about "tresspassing". were they?

I haven't called the guy back yet..should I?

thanx

I checked on this before because alot of homes have these no soliciting signs on the doors, and my Village Hall told me thats it's only "Soliciting" if you knock on the door and talk to the homeowners, they said if all you do is tape a flyer to the door its not a problem.

P.Services
04-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I checked on this before because alot of homes have these no soliciting signs on the doors, and my Village Hall told me thats it's only "Soliciting" if you knock on the door and talk to the homeowners, they said if all you do is tape a flyer to the door its not a problem.

bingo i have called a lot of people and got the same answer!! the only subs i dont leave them in is this one that has a sign that says "no leaf-letting" i dont know if thats a word but thats what it say. the sub has a awesome entrance way but when you get in its a fricken dump, little tash homes with no landscaping. people think if they have a gate on the sub then its ohhh sooo nice!!! then you look at the roads and see its only base asphalt and pot holes every where, base ball field looks like crap, stop signs falling apart and the homes are the same three design over and over. a few get mowed but they are nothing special.

SkyCaptain
04-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Being from Florida I know what you are saying about the cookie cutters. I do a lot around the subdivisions on the golf courses here. I also dropped off fliers and got the nasty calls. I eventually gave up and advertised in the newspaper. I've been getting contracts signed like crazy from the newspaper ads. I would suggest just investing in that if you already haven't. One pissed off neighbor will keep you out of that neighborhood for good. Trust me. The retired folks here gossip. And all their friends listen.

MOWEMJEFF
04-06-2008, 08:46 AM

Same applys here, leave the door hanger and go to the next house, as soon as you knock thats when its illegal, if the customer comes out and talks to you your all set now you just gotta seal the deal:usflag:

Carolina Cuts
04-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I'd call the @hole, I mean, upset gentleman and explain to him that 'soliciting' is ...
physically knocking on doors and trying to sell something. Pestering, bothering, annoying homeowners....

You were simply 'advertising' :laugh:

Carolina Cuts
04-06-2008, 08:55 AM
tape a flyer to the door its not a problem.

I'd be pissed if someone stuck tape of any kind on my door. And I'm IN the biz.
No, baggies with seed, or sand thrown on my driveway either. That's just ghetto.

Doorhangers and postcards. That's it. :rolleyes:

Ric3077
04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
No, baggies with seed, or sand thrown on my driveway either. That's just ghetto.

I agree...tape and driveway bags are so ghetto looking

racer56
04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
The bags with sand might look "getto" to you but all the data we have shows a sizeable increase in hit rate doing this over nice"expensive" four color door hangers and the like. Alot of folks have told us that is why they called as they thought the rockin the bag was clever. I have also had folks ask us "how do you afford those expensive flyers?" when we put nice four color hangers on the door. Let me tell you they in their mind think you are too expensive and never even make the call. I just thought I would toss a few FACTS in with the personal thinkings of others here. Everyone has a way of doing things just some work and some don't :waving:.

four.r
04-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I've used the rock in the bag with a flyer this year and all the new client was impressive with the rock. I even had a few give me the rocks back. I for one don't have a big advertising budget so I did the best I could come up with.

LushGreenLawn
04-06-2008, 08:32 PM
What if you taped a flier to someones door and the tape took off some paint? Could happen to an old door, and then you'd be paying to make some lucky persons old door look new again!

BTW, I have had clients make fun of the baggies in the driveway, so it goes both ways. You will get some people that are impressed by it (especially in the low end neighborhoods) and some people that dispise it (generally high end neighborhoods)

C&K
04-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I agree...tape and driveway bags are so ghetto looking

I agree also...anyone comes to my house that I don't either know or invite is not welcome unless it's an emergency. Therefore I wouldn't do business with them. But thats just me. I have gotton jobs from post-its. LOL
You can't satisfy everyone.

Sym
04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
thanx for all the input :clapping:...even though it started to get off topic:nono:

rock bags - Ghetto IMO
Full color flyers - look 'expensive' to middle-lower end neighborhoods
I use black-white flyers simple and to the point or I put my business card on the door...wedged in, I actually get the best respongs just from a simple business card.

I also advertise in two weekly papers in my area...I like to do the flyers/cards to try to get my yards more concentrated together...

I am just going to blow off the message I got. From the information received from the posts...I am not really worried about an repercussions(sp?) and if I do get the call, I now know what to say.....'sorry sir/mam, soiliciting is knocking on the door etc;

again...thanx for the imput..

four.r
04-07-2008, 02:44 AM
I always place a business card with the flyer. I have used about 5000 business card this year along. I will place another 3000 flyers and business card this week. It's a tough market in this area. It's seem to be working I pickup 10 accounts since the first of March. The season really starting to crank up here.

SkyLawncare
04-07-2008, 10:39 AM

I am in total agreement. I had a bag with a card with a rock thrown in my driveway recently. Lets forget the fact that the website on the card wasn't valid, a bag in my driveway is like a piece of garbage to me. Now I have to bend over to pick up somebodies trash. That does not create a good impression. Same with something wedged in the door. If I'm inside and I open the door, the junk falls onto the ground, and now I have to pick it up.

Door hangers or mailers only PLEASE! As I stated in another thread, you can make a quick and inexpensive door hanger by taking a single hole punch and a rubber band through the hole. Use green rubber bands, lol.

Atlantic Lawn
04-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I live in a gated community. A guy littered our neighborhood with cheap nasty lookin' flyers and even put some on or in mailboxes. It blew and rained and they went everywhere. A few weeks later he was doin' work down the street.I know the lady. Cheap prices in tough times gets you some work I guess. Guess sometimes crime pays.

lawncuttinfoo
04-08-2008, 01:05 AM
I always place a business card with the flyer. I have used about 5000 business card this year along. I will place another 3000 flyers and business card this week. It's a tough market in this area. It's seem to be working I pickup 10 accounts since the first of March. The season really starting to crank up here.

Do you put your card and flyer in a bag? if so where do you put your business card in front of the flyer or behind? If no bag what do you do?

mngrassguy
04-08-2008, 03:58 AM
People that put those signs on their doors do it 'cause they have trouble saying "no". He called you and left his number so call him back, say your sorry and sell, sell, sell!!! Have fun with him, just don't take what he says personal

mngrassguy
04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
http://www.rndsigns.com/
Good lit you can buy imprinted with your info or blank so you can take to your printer