PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel

Mowman
11-29-2001, 08:47 AM
Are there differences in diesel fuels ie: brands, Shell Mobil, ect? If so which ones do you suggest? Do you have to run additives in the fuel? If so what types do you run and WHY? Hope you all don't think these are stupid questions. Going today and test a 1986 F250 6.9 truck is in excellent shape. I think I'm getting a STEAL at $1500.00 OBO. Body has 300,000k engine has only 160,000 new 6.9 installed by Ford Dealer. Wish me LUCK!!!!!!!
Thanks for your advice, cause all this DIESEL STUFF is NEW to ME!!!!!!

Mowman

KirbysLawn
11-29-2001, 11:56 AM
I think the main concern is getting fresh fuel. Buy from a station that trucks stop at often. Here is a link at Ford-Diesel.com that will help you out: http://forums.ford-diesel.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=26&t=002317&p=

Shady Brook
12-09-2001, 11:20 PM
That Ford Diesel site is just great! Read and read there, and you will learn tons, and will save you lots of money. My 6.9 has been great, but everything else has been a money pit. Be prepared to pay some doe on repairs, and be prepaired to do the work yourself, or go to the poor house. You need to treat your diesel in the winter so you do not gel. I treat year round because of the low sulfer diesel, and I use an addative that boosts fuel economy, as well as being a lubricant.

Have fun with the Ford
Jay

MSYardman
12-10-2001, 04:22 PM
There is definitely a difference in diesel. It depends on which refinery processed the fuel.

Call some of the fuel distributors in your area. In fact, call them all. Asked which diesel is best. I can guarantee you that you will start to see a pattern.

Also, ask the distributor which retail outlets treat their diesel fuel. Most truck stops will treat their fuel before cold weather.

mdb landscaping
12-13-2001, 12:48 PM
my father owns two mobils, and growing up ive heard some info about this. i too know own a diesel, so nothing but mobil diesel goes in my truck. try and stick to name brand diesel. ie. texaco, mobil, exxon. if its a no name station with cheap diesel, chances are there arent additives in it. in the winter, its especially good to gas up with good diesel otherwise it gells. a lot of our customers have tried citgo diesel and the trucks have gelled up. they always come back to mobil. in the winter they cut the diesel with kerosene more to prevent gelling. there are some additives you can put in for it.

Shady Brook
12-13-2001, 07:33 PM
I with MLB on Mobile, that is all I use!

Jay

visions landscape
12-13-2001, 08:29 PM
I would Stick with name brand Fuel also.
In Nov. I picked up 5 gal of fuel ( that was bad ) at a off brand store , put in the bobcat and ruined an injector pump.
Had repair bills plus rental from RSC, so we would not have down time.

MSYardman
12-15-2001, 02:05 PM
I hate to disagree with mdb landscaping, but you're wrong. The quality of fuel is not determined by the brand, it is determined by the refinery.

Mobil does not have its own refinery everywhere it sells fuel. Therefore, it trades fuel with other refiners and also outright buys fuel from other refiners. Mobil, just like all the other brands, waves a magic wand over the fuel and presto......it is now branded MOBIL.

Believe me. I know. I was in the oil & gas distribution business for 25 years before I got into 'scaping.

Look for fueling locations that are new. Whether the location is branded or non-branded does not matter. Most new locations in the U.S. have invested over $1 million for their sites. You can trust their fuel.

mdb landscaping
12-15-2001, 02:45 PM
ill disagree again msyard. mobil has refineries. you are right they dont have them near every station, and they get it from other places. if they get it from another tank, they set up their own sub station to put their own additives in. lets say they get it from a citgo tank lot. mobil will set up their own sub station to put their own additives in.

MSYardman
12-15-2001, 04:08 PM
Mobil does not, I repeat, Mobil does not put additives in diesel. They will inject additives into gasoline (although they are mainly tracker dyes so that they can monitor stations selling their product).

I stand by my original statements. I was a Mobil jobber along with several other major brands.

thelawnguy
12-15-2001, 04:24 PM
mdb, your Mobil tankers load from the same tanks as Clark, LIExpress, CWhite, Lincoln Oil, etc at the terminal near me. Sorry to bust yer bubble bud...

mdb landscaping
12-15-2001, 05:54 PM
you guys are extrmely wrong. a company called southwest institute comes out every two weeks to the stations to test mobils blueprint of gasoline. i have written proof. mobil diesel comes out of bridgeport, new haven, east providence, springfield and newburg. at the rack, mobil injects their own additives to seperate it from the other companies. we pump 7 million gallons a year. trust me. at the rack, mobil injects their own formula. its not the same as the others.

MSYardman
12-16-2001, 12:10 AM
Sorry. Neither Mobil nor any other major oil company injects additives into diesel. It just doesn't happen.

And by the way, I purchased over 175 million gallons of fuel each year.

Enough of this. No more comments from me.

mdb landscaping
12-16-2001, 10:04 AM
look. this will be my last post as well. if you pumped that many gallons, you should know that already. your key word was you used to. you are totally wrong on this one. i dont know what else to tell you. mobil does add additives. i guess you dont want to see eye to eye, but all i can say is that is not true.

lb59
02-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Anyone here use Power Service?

lwcmattlifter
02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
I have tried their antigel and the cetane booster. I did not really notice any results from either. I use standyne antigel on occasion when it gets cold here and I like it much better.