PDA

View Full Version : employees putting me out of business

bobbygedd
11-29-2001, 09:45 AM
i started this business because i didnt want to be at the mercy of an employer anymore. well, it seems now i am at the mercy of my employees. i am basically a solo operator trying to grow so i can be full time, problem is i cant grow if i turn work away, so i dont turn it away. ive been thru many helpers in the last few years, no one seems to work out, they just dont show up, and when they dont, i lose money and get the customers mad cus i dont make it there. this time of year is especially tough, cus i cant handle the leaves alone, im getting my butt kicked over here! why cant a guy just show up when hes supposed to? this blows! thanx for listening

Charles
11-29-2001, 10:04 AM
Lets face it if they were any good they would be running their on lawn biz. So easy to start your own lawn care biz. What type of person need to work for someone else?

Runner
11-29-2001, 11:39 AM
Give them some sort of incentive. Incentive to work, incentive for growth. What are you paying right now? You have to make it worth while to them, or else they'll view it as a little extra beer money, and treat it as just that. Show them a real wage, let them know the potential for growth, (not just tell them, show them) and they'll see things as a little more of an inVESTment of their time. I know, I've been through it. These guys work great for 4 or 5 weeks, and next thing you know, they don't show up for a day or two,(throwing your schedule WAY out of whack) and then come back all fired up, rarin' to go. Others, will show up a day after payday, late, and not be worth a damn because they're all hung over. Here's what I did. Start paying them like on Monday or Tuesday. It's just not easy finding good brain surgeons for this work.:rolleyes:
Not to get off the subject matter of this forum, but how is your daughter doing? Well I hope! Take care.

Chuck Sinclair
11-29-2001, 11:46 AM
Do you pay them a desent wage and treat them right?

KirbysLawn
11-29-2001, 11:50 AM
Was wondering the same as Chuck. By the way Chuck, very nice website, looks good!

Matthew Morgan
11-29-2001, 12:45 PM
Consider Hispanic workers. They travel all this way to work, not drink beer and goof off. There is the H2B program as well as other means of finding legal hispanic workers. You must have the work for them though. Most I have seen like 50-60 hrs. per week.

Check it out!

Matthew

bobbygedd
11-29-2001, 01:25 PM
i pay them very well. more than ive heard anyone around here pay their help. i also tell them they can work as many hours as they want, never get nasty(well, maybe once or twice) believe me, i wish i had it so good.

G.Williams
11-29-2001, 01:54 PM
Agree with Matthew, you need to go the Hispanic Route, never any problems not showing up etc. You won't be sorry.

SLS
11-29-2001, 02:28 PM
Chuck Sinclair:

The Willow Brooke website is very nice...lots of eye appeal. The "page us now" feature is very cool! I give it all a "two thumbs up"! Good job. :D

groundsguy1970
11-29-2001, 02:47 PM
Runner's got the right idea!

If you give perks and treat people good you'll get good people.
Remember this: Water Seeks It's Own Level
people are the same too. Manpower is the hardest part....I can't wait for robot mowers! LOL :)
F:\GIFS\ROCKET1.GIF

Shoot for the stars and hit the moon!

awm
11-29-2001, 07:53 PM
bobby i assume you are using a ztr as this is the best way i know to double work output.good luck brother

LoneStarLawn
11-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Fire the person in HR because they don't know how to hire....lol

65hoss
11-29-2001, 08:47 PM
Let me first say in your original post your state your trying to build so you can go full time. This means to me your part time. So if you have a regular job and then cut grass and do leaves after that, this may be why you have a problem. Its hard to get people to want to be consistant with you if its only a few hours in the evening. It doesn't give them enough hours to make enough money to have loyalty. I know, I've been there. Enough work for one person, not enough for 2.