PDA

View Full Version : Workers or no workers?

Lamonicaslawnservice
04-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Everyone has more experience with this then me but do you guys feel that its better to pay workers or do the job yourself? Some jobs I know you need workers but jobs that will take you 1 day with 2 workers or 3 days without. Is it worth making the extra money and giving yourself more work or taking the help and paying them? I only pay 9 dollars an hour so it will be 72 dollars for 8 hours per man. Thanks everyone

SNAPPER MAN
04-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Just get one worker and have him do the hard stuff while you do the easy stuff.

DaveinSWFL
04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Just get one worker and have him do the hard stuff while you do the easy stuff.

One of the many things that I was taught in the military, that I apply to my business. I will not send my employee to do a job that I will not do. I show my employee that I will work just as hard if not harder than him. If the roles were reversed and you were the employee how long or how hard would you work for someone who just did the easy tasks? I am sure that there are those that will disagree with me. My .02

Carolina Cuts
04-06-2008, 03:39 PM
One of the many things that I was taught in the military, that I apply to my business. I will not send my employee to do a job that I will not do. I show my employee that I will work just as hard if not harder than him. If the roles were reversed and you were the employee how long or how hard would you work for someone who just did the easy tasks? I am sure that there are those that will disagree with me. My .02

I agree.....
if you treat em' like a grunt, they won't last long. It's hard enough to find good help in this industry... and with a drivers license.... so no sense in abusing the help.

Exact Rototilling
04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
My business model is to keep the scope of services I perform - ones that are more suited for a solo operation. The extra hassle of having employees: paper work, headaches etc., someone else doing crummy work under my banner is not worth it to me.

I was silly enough to bid on a huge and difficult clean up last year that took me over 18 hours to complete solo. I found myself wishing I had never bid on the job for any price. Time just went . . . tick . . .tock . . . both days even with my MP3 player going.

It is possible if I have greater than expected growth in the next 24 months - I may consider adding employees.

Until then it's just me :weightlifter:

SNAPPER MAN
04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I work just as hard and we rotate on what we do. But they need to start out doing the hard stuff so you can see how much of a dedicated worker they are. If they bust their but start having them do easier stuff.