PDA

View Full Version : The Illegals Are Killing Us!

WETSCAPE
04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Man this year will be tuff. I have around 29 stops. A bunch of cuts clean ups etc. This year about 5 of my regular spring clean ups I have lost due to price cutting. I already had 3 more customers call me up and ask if my rates would go up. I can't believe some homeowners don't check for insurance or anything? I pay my guys 18 per hr and charge them out @ 28.00. But they are all legal. How do I survive?

Paulup
04-06-2008, 02:30 AM
You're paying 18 bucks an hour for the grunt work? Wow things have changed since i was in high school.

M&SLawnCare
04-06-2008, 04:50 AM
You pay them 18 per hour and only charge 28 per man hour? How on earth are you making money if you are actually legal. Gas, workers comp, equipment maintenance and replacement, marketing, insurance, and so on i would imagine eat up more than 10 per hour.

SNAPPER MAN
04-06-2008, 09:55 AM
$18 an hour is way way too much for a worker. My foreman only gets $12 an hour and my laborers get $10 an hour and I pay more than most companies around me. You need to quit paying your guys so dang much.

greenmonster304
04-06-2008, 10:08 AM
$18 an hour is way way too much for a worker. My foreman only gets $12 an hour and my laborers get $10 an hour and I pay more than most companies around me. You need to quit paying your guys so dang much.

fairfield county is one of the, if not the richest counties in the country and the cost of living is high as hell. so his pay is right on. my father inlaw has landscape co in stamford ct and i think thats right around what he pays.

AI Inc
04-06-2008, 10:17 AM
fairfield county is one of the, if not the richest counties in the country and the cost of living is high as hell. so his pay is right on. my father inlaw has landscape co in stamford ct and i think thats right around what he pays.

His pay is on for that area, his billable rate is off by more then 50%

greenmonster304
04-06-2008, 10:19 AM
His pay is on for that area, his billable rate is off by more then 50%

that may be true i was just commenting on the guy who said he should lower his price to 10-12 an hour

AI Inc
04-06-2008, 10:25 AM
that may be true i was just commenting on the guy who said he should lower his price to 10-12 an hour

yep, in the northeast $10-$12 per hr gets you a junkie with no transportation

lawnboyoung
04-06-2008, 11:03 AM
last year when i was doing grunt work i only got 7 an hr.

LawnCare_EMT
04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
It just really depends where you live and the cost of living there. I pay mine $8 an hour

SNAPPER MAN
04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Here in texas most guys pay laborers $8 an hour...if even that.

ed2hess
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Here in texas most guys pay laborers $8 an hour...if even that.

maybe just a tad more in big cities.....fast approaching $10 with a commitment that they get 40 hours and at least 30 hours in the winter. We are starting to see labor shortages.

Sweet Tater
04-06-2008, 08:10 PM

DAng it, around here you'd be lucky to get $7 hr. Heck I own the durn thange and barely make that much.

Johnson LCO
04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
You need to charge more! You should be billing them out at $60 an hour. I pay my employees 8-10 $/hour and bill them out at $40. In this area my pay is high and my billing per hour is low. When I first started out, I shared my rates and such and it was a mistake. No one can believe that the lawnboy deserves 40-60 $/hour. Just estimate how many man hours it will take and give the customer a flat price based on $60 an hour. Also mark up materials at least 20%.

milkie62
04-07-2008, 12:18 AM
How does anyone expect to get decent reliable help for $8-10 per hour.I had a 60 account snowblowing development and I paid 2 guys $25.00 per hour and they were bringing in $150-175 per hour for me.I made out like a bandit and paid them more than they were making at their regular jobs.AND THEY WERE DEPENDABLE.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!

CLARK LAWN
04-07-2008, 12:45 AM
here's the bigger ? how many guys do you have for only 29 accounts?

MowHouston
04-07-2008, 01:06 AM
here's the bigger ? how many guys do you have for only 29 accounts?

My thoughts exactly. He should only have himself. His only problem is that he's paying people to do what he could do on his own.... Unless their commercial...

lawnpro724
04-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Your paying $18 an hour then you need to be billing out around $50 per man hour if you intend on making a profit, at $28 hr billed your losing money.

Slcareco
04-07-2008, 10:14 AM
last year when i was doing grunt work i only got 7 an hr.

You got used

Atlantic Lawn
04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Are You saying the Illegals or Scrubs are killing your biz ? As a couple of guys have posted if you're paying your guys that much then you must charge more or pay them less. It would kill me to pay grunts 18 an hour.

ed2hess
04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
How does anyone expect to get decent reliable help for $8-10 per hour.I had a 60 account snowblowing development and I paid 2 guys $25.00 per hour and they were bringing in $150-175 per hour for me.I made out like a bandit and paid them more than they were making at their regular jobs.AND THEY WERE DEPENDABLE.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!
Try running a real lawn business 12 months a year paying $25/hour and see how things work out:hammerhead:

milkie62
04-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I truly understand their is a BIG difference.If you get a flat tire on your truck during the summer it is oh well I will be a little late for dinner.But get a flat in a blizzard at 2-3" per hour and it could be hell especially if your spare is up under the truck and everything is frozen.I guess I was not really thinking of the differences in the seasons.But on the other hand snowblowing and plowing has to be done right then and there so TOTALLY reliable help is required.That is how I managed to get that 60 drive development.Previous guy told me he was paying 10 bucks an hour and could not keep help.Easy to see the math that by my 2 guys making me that kind of money I should share in the profits.I am just trying to get everything in line to go a couple of 6 hr a day weeks with my son.So far I have a Toro 44",little wonder edger,Toro 21" commercial,Husky backpack blower,echo hand blower,bed edger,2 echo trimmers,Troy-bilt wide cut,echo pole saw and this stuff was all used no more than 2yrs old and it cost me $7500.00 .I still need a Ferris IZ3000,a 6x12 dump trailer and a landscape trailer.My insurance agent has not given me a quote yet.So all said and done I will be in the low $20,000 just to start up part time.I see where this can be frustrating trying to get jobs with everyone who runs a HD or Lowes special and a pickup truck is doing it.But on the other hand just doing a mow and go for 20 bucks does not take rocket science as compared to wrecking a truck hitting a curb going to fast.

rebelsday
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
To keep good work pay them what they are worth. If they work hard all day and get what you want done pay them what its worth. If they never have to be told anything and do everything right the first time pay them 15 dollars an hour, if you have to check on them all the time pay them 8. If there just average hard workers with no exp. pay them 10 an hour. I am 16 and I was getting payed 11-15 dollars an hour last summer at 15. Becaus ei worked hecka hard. I think if they work hard they deserve the extra money.

AmEdge
04-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Funny how all the guys saying that $18/hr is way too high are from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.

And the guys saying $8-$10/hr is way too low are all from New York, Delaware, and CT.

Anyone else notice a pattern?

It's all based on your market as well as your cost to do business.

You have to know your cost.

And if you can't compete with the "lowballers", then your catering to the wrong market.

milkie62
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
But on the other hand you guys that are only paying $8.00 an hour and expect a quality job from the help.Thats only $320.00 per week BEFORE taxes.Even if a guy is single how would you expect him to have an apartment,pay normal monthly bills and have RELIABLE transportation to get to work let alone pay for the gas.If you cannot afford decent pay for a good worker then you should probably be a one man show and do what you can in a 8-10 hr day and hire school kids during the summer for 8 bucks an hour.When I pay 25/hr for snowblowing in a blizzard I know my 2 guys are going to be there and I will have anywhere from $100-150 in my pocket per man.I guess it is different up north here where you need excellent equipment to maintain clients compared to down south where anybody who has a pickup and a Sears mower is a Lawn contractor.It will always come down to you get what you pay for.I can leave cash on the truck seat with my guys-----CAN YOU ?????

AmEdge
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
But on the other hand you guys that are only paying $8.00 an hour and expect a quality job from the help.Thats only $320.00 per week BEFORE taxes.Even if a guy is single how would you expect him to have an apartment,pay normal monthly bills and have RELIABLE transportation to get to work let alone pay for the gas.If you cannot afford decent pay for a good worker then you should probably be a one man show and do what you can in a 8-10 hr day and hire school kids during the summer for 8 bucks an hour.When I pay 25/hr for snowblowing in a blizzard I know my 2 guys are going to be there and I will have anywhere from $100-150 in my pocket per man.I guess it is different up north here where you need excellent equipment to maintain clients compared to down south where anybody who has a pickup and a Sears mower is a Lawn contractor.It will always come down to you get what you pay for.I can leave cash on the truck seat with my guys-----CAN YOU ?????

Wow, bashing the South eh? That'll get you nowhere fast.

When I was single, I could get a 1br apt. for $300 per month with all utilities and cable included.

I bet in NY that won't even get you a shopping cart.

Try to keep things in perspective.