PDA

View Full Version : Another St Aug. question!!

jds720
04-06-2008, 09:03 AM
My accounts are in Venice, Fl. Ive been mowing them at 4in, should i mow shorter?? maybe around 3.5in?

lawnboyoung
04-06-2008, 10:05 AM
i would thats long

freshprince94
04-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I mow at 3.5. That's the recommended height for St. Augustine.

DISTURBEDSMR
04-06-2008, 05:58 PM
sometimes you can't mow at 3.5 my lawn and 5 others I mow at 4 I have one I mow at 4.5 be careful do a test in a area in the corner that is hard to see or something

Mikol
04-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I mow my accounts at 4"to5".it seems to me that my customers are happy they have not complained.

jds720
04-06-2008, 06:18 PM
it looks good at 4, 3.5 looks good too, almost looks scalped though.

justanotherlawnguy
04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
You can get away with mowing Palmetto that short during the off season, but classic St Aug and Floratam tend be anywhere between 4 and 5.5 during the growing season.

freshprince94
04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I mow at 3.5. That's the recommended height for St. Augustine

After doing some research I found that I am actually mowing at 3 7/8 inches. Sorry for the confusion.

GrassmasterB
04-06-2008, 10:06 PM
it looks good at 4, 3.5 looks good too, almost looks scalped though.

jds720, as the yards are really starting to grow, now is a good time to experiment with the height. just start in the back yard away from the house. if at 3.5 it looks to short raise it back up. every yard is different. same with the mowers. ive had st augustine yards that looked really good at 2.75'' others would look scalped at 5''. up until 2 weeks ago i was using a hustler mini z cutting st augustine at 3.5''-4.25''. now i have a walker mt w/42'' and have cut all but 2 lawns at 3'' with no scalping, but im gonna try those 2 at 3'' this week. the general rule would be 3.5''-4''. but alot is trial and error. try it shorter, it'll grow back.

jds720
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks! just dont wanna kill the grass at a +500k dollar house, im too new for that!

marathonmow
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
up until 2 weeks ago i was using a hustler mini z cutting st augustine at 3.5''-4.25''. now i have a walker mt w/42'' and have cut all but 2 lawns at 3'' with no scalping, but im gonna try those 2 at 3'' this week. the general rule would be 3.5''-4''. but alot is trial and error. try it shorter, it'll grow back.

How do you change mowers and not scalp at a lower setting? I have measured my blade height while on a flat surface, and I've been doing St. Aug at 2.5 to 3 inches with a nice even cut.

GrassmasterB
04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
How do you change mowers and not scalp at a lower setting? I have measured my blade height while on a flat surface, and I've been doing St. Aug at 2.5 to 3 inches with a nice even cut.

the walkers deck works independent from the tractor. its a floating deck and follows the contours of the terrain. there's no weight over the top of the deck. with my mini z, you have a 1000 pounds sitting over the deck, pushing you deeper in the grass making you cut at higher settings.

sancho_man_orlando
04-07-2008, 04:15 PM
A while back I read that st. aug grow well when it is cut at the mowers highest setting. So for the last 9 months I begant to cut my personal st. augustine at 6 inches.

My yard was about 2 ft tall when I moved in here and filled with weeds and chinch bugs. I treated for the bugs and applied some free compost from the landfill and began cutting at 6 inches.

Believe it or not my lawn went from being the worst to being one of the fullest, greenedst st. aug lawns on the block. Those bare spots? Are almost filled in and the st. aug continues to get thicker and thicker.

Why? Because my lawn isn't constantly regrowing it's blades when it's cut too short, it begins to shoot it's stalons out and out and out. These bare spots have been completely run through with new stalons.

You can see it before you mow... there are literally thousands of "brand new" grass leaf tops that have yet to be trimmed... that means new lawn thickening grass blades... greener lawn.

The clippins are left where they land in the yard and decompose and add nutrients back into the soil and therefore the yard requires less fertilization.

I love it.

I have been cutting my customers lawns at 3.25 last year and recently bought a wright stander so I can cut at 4.5 now. I plan on running the season at this height and compare the lawn pictures to see if they've improved.

I'm hooked on mowing at my decks highest setting.

jimithing31
08-22-2008, 09:55 AM
A while back I read that st. aug grow well when it is cut at the mowers highest setting. So for the last 9 months I begant to cut my personal st. augustine at 6 inches.

My yard was about 2 ft tall when I moved in here and filled with weeds and chinch bugs. I treated for the bugs and applied some free compost from the landfill and began cutting at 6 inches.

Believe it or not my lawn went from being the worst to being one of the fullest, greenedst st. aug lawns on the block. Those bare spots? Are almost filled in and the st. aug continues to get thicker and thicker.

Why? Because my lawn isn't constantly regrowing it's blades when it's cut too short, it begins to shoot it's stalons out and out and out. These bare spots have been completely run through with new stalons.

You can see it before you mow... there are literally thousands of "brand new" grass leaf tops that have yet to be trimmed... that means new lawn thickening grass blades... greener lawn.

The clippins are left where they land in the yard and decompose and add nutrients back into the soil and therefore the yard requires less fertilization.

I love it.

I have been cutting my customers lawns at 3.25 last year and recently bought a wright stander so I can cut at 4.5 now. I plan on running the season at this height and compare the lawn pictures to see if they've improved.

I'm hooked on mowing at my decks highest setting.

I run a Wright Stander as well and always cut St. Augustine at the machines highest setting. I love the results it leaves behind!!!!

billslawn89
08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
i cut all my st augustine lawns at 4.5 to 5, mostly 5 inches now that its growing so fast with all the rain. it gives it a better appearance. wanted to work all day today to catch up but irs raining off and on again, so i'm done for the day.

Big C
08-22-2008, 11:53 PM
I mow them at 3" to 3.25"......this way it will keep the fresh cut look for 3-4 days with all the rain we have been getting the summer.

freshprince94
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I moved up to 4 inches, all my lawns look thicker and fuller IMO.

Big C
08-24-2008, 12:45 AM
I moved up to 4 inches, all my lawns look thicker and fuller IMO.

I wish I could do that...but my customers complain:cry: about it not being cut low enough.

freshprince94
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I wish I could do that...but my customers complain:cry: about it not being cut low enough.

That's funny, I used to mow at 3.5 and I had a customer complain I mowed too low.

jimithing31
08-24-2008, 09:59 PM

Not sure how it is there but down here in Fl if your cutting St.Augustine and cut it too short you'll kill it.

I make sure to tell customers that

RonB
08-24-2008, 10:34 PM
If you google st aug cutting height, the numbers are in the 2.5-3" range. All yards are different but those seem to be the "recommended" heights. I cut mine and my customers st aug 3-3.5. Only one wants it cut short - 2.5".

TTPRODR
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I've being cutting my few customers st augustine grass at 3.5" .
but look like I'm growing bad reputation about it because 2 of my customers in my neighborehood they're front yard are burned up and weeds are popping out everywhere,one of the customers keep telling me that everyone that goes by her house say I'm cutting it too low, Im not sure if is the cutting or theyre just out of luck for having the grass all messed up,the rest of my customers w/st aug. grass are just fine but regardless im bringing my deck up to 4" from now on.