PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a price, pics included

grassmannj
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
What should I charge to remove these, and can they be replanted?
PS I have no heavy equitment just a truck, chain and some shovels.

d&rlawncare
04-06-2008, 06:38 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

grassmannj
04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
What should I charge to remove these, and can they be replanted?
PS I have no heavy equipment just a truck, chain and some shovels.

Sorry about that...

jsaunders
04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
anything can be replanted- but i doubt it- pulling it out with the truck and chain will do a number on them and because they have grown into each other it would be even harder to replant them as well.

I say 1 hr to remove- loading them into the truck and disposal will take longer

PSUturf
04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Cut them off a couple feet above ground. If your chain is not at least 3/8" forget about using it. Tightly wrap the chain around the trunk. Try pulling without jerking too much. If they don't come out, dig around them to expose larger root which should be severed.
If you try jerking real hard with the truck you run the risk of the chain snapping and injuring someone.

grassmannj
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Cut them off a couple feet above ground. If your chain is not at least 3/8" forget about using it. Tightly wrap the chain around the trunk. Try pulling without jerking too much. If they don't come out, dig around them to expose larger root which should be severed.
If you try jerking real hard with the truck you run the risk of the chain snapping and injuring someone.

I guess my real question is because it will only take an hour or so to dig and pop them out, What should I charge? now if they can be replanted I will do so in a wooded area as not to get rid of them. But If not and I get rid of them they go to the curb and the township will pick them up.

SkyCaptain
04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
A tree service will charge about $400. Cut that in half. Forget saving them. They are too close together and you are really going to rip their works apart when you remove them.

Lawnworks
04-06-2008, 09:29 PM
The truck isn't going to damage the turf?

Mark Bogart
04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
The truck isn't going to damage the turf?

Same thought to. One thing to be aware of is the water line coming into the house from the street. Get a locate.

Isobel
04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
If you don't have any heavy equipment i'm not sure what you would move them with if the job called for replanting.

If you were to replant them, I'd get a mini excavator, or compact tractor, dig out a good sized area around the shrubs, and move them like that.

Otherwise digging them out a bit, wrapping the chain, and pulling, your price will depend on the obstacles that are in the way. How close can you get the truck? What's underground: water, sewer, electrical, sprinkler system? Looks like there might be an outdoor lighting system, so that's something to think about--unless its a solar light.

I'd say maybe an hour each, maybe a bit more depending on site variables.

greenmonster304
04-07-2008, 12:16 AM

not to be a jerk but if i hired you to remove some trees and i looked out the window and saw you yanking on it with a pick up truck on my front lawn it would be the last job you would do for me. Use the right tools for the job.

Isobel
04-07-2008, 01:12 AM
not to be a jerk but if i hired you to remove some trees and i looked out the window and saw you yanking on it with a pick up truck on my front lawn it would be the last job you would do for me. Use the right tools for the job.

i'm not trying to start an argument, but why do you say that?

I do this alot, I also tell the client up front that this is the way we are going to remove shrubs. I've never had anyone have a problem with it. If there's a window in the area, the plywood goes up just in case a chain snaps.

PSUturf
04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
If my only tools were a truck (4x4 only) and hand tools I would definitely consider pulling the shrubs out. If there was any chances of causing damage with the truck then it would be hand dig only.

Littletruck
04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I would never pull a shrub or a tree...That = hack job.

I would charge about $45-$55 each to cut them down, grind em up and grind the stumps. It would take me less than an hour to do all that. But I got equipment that is paid for.

To rent a chipper and a stumper and pay a dump fee would take you outa that $200 range really fast.

I hope this helps.

NNJLandman
04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Chain saw them down so that you have a 3 foot stem left. Take a pick and shovel dig around it loosen the dirt etc. Chain it up to the truck and give it a couple of jerks. If it doesn't come out work the soil again...repeat...Id charge $375.00 - $400.00 depending on your dumping fees

AGLA
04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
You could hand dig them and move them with a tree dolly. Arborvitaes are a relatively easy transplant for their size. The roots are very fiberous especially for a conifer.

So many of you guys have been brought up so dependent on equipment that you won't even begin to think about doing anything without it. Yes, they will have bald patches where they have grown together. No, you are not going to dig them out correctly in one hour each. It will take a bit longer. You have to cut a nice ball rather than ripping or yanking.

Look on the bright side, you won't have to fix up a lawn or have dump fees.

bobcatnj
04-08-2008, 09:34 PM
i would do the same as nnjlandman. cut them down and give a mexican a pick and a shovel. forget the truck and chain

DFLS
04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Longer chain and keep the tires on the pavement put it in 4x4 lo range and don't jerk it just dig around the base a little first and wet the ground a couple days before to make it easier to dig.

But I would call for a locate and rent a mini excavator(7000 lb.) and dig on each side and in front then take them out with a good rootball and replant them. Rental fee plus $75/ hour including pick up / drop off excavator. Do another digging job the same day and charge each customer the full rental charge!