PDA

View Full Version : Covering your bulk Salt

Breezmister
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I posted this over in PlowSite and only got one response....maybe the server is just to busy :rolleyes:
Anyway, I was just wondering how many of the commercial guys here have a place to store bulk salt for the winter so that snow does not cover it, and I don't mean just a tarp in a bin or pile, some home made roof thingie or prefab building, shipping container, etc... Pics would be great Thanks

JohnnyRoyale
04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
This is the bin we had covered up at our old shop, it held approx 150 tonnes when stacked. We had our welder make sides and roof trusses out of galvanized, and sheeted it with roofing deck. We hung a heavy poly tarp across a pipe (kinda like a big shower curtain), then attached a rope to it to help in sliding it across. Co incidentally, a trailer would back right into it and the dump angle matched the roof pitch. It cost us approx 2K + the blocks. Unfortunately we had to tear it down and scrap it when we moved, we moved the blocks to our new yard, and will be putting a coverall dome over it.[/ATTACH]105532[/ATTACH]

JohnnyRoyale
04-07-2008, 07:10 PM
That structure lasted us 10 years or so...The additional blocks that came forward from it were there to contain the salt for when the trailer delivering pulled forward, and the tarp was actually long enough to cover that salt too.

Breezmister
04-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Johnny. That is kinda what I'm thinking about, good idea using the steel and coragated, I was thinking wood.