PDA

View Full Version : Trimec 992 Application

start2finish
04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I treated my test plot today under unusual weather. Wanted to try it.

temp 55
cloudy
2.5 inches of rain last 5 days
chickweed and dandelion target (growing overnight)
clover present

3 pints/ acre rate with 27 gallons per acre application surfactant added to tank mix at 1/2oz per gallon (HOOK)

my thoughts were is was a little cool for the app, but we will see.

input, any predictions.

oh yea, desired grass present is a mixture of ky-31 and turf type fescue(regional blend)

LawnTamer
04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I think you'll get fairly good results. I use 992/3-way at about the 3pt/acre and get very good results down to about 48 degrees. Is the chickweed common chickweed, or mouseear chickweed?

start2finish
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
common chickweed

RigglePLC
04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Conditions are near ideal. Cool cloudy, weeds are young. Best results are obtained when air is humid. If the weed killer solution dries on the foliage before it is absorbed--it crystalizes--and can no longer be absorbed.

start2finish
04-06-2008, 10:40 PM
that's good news, I have devoted a section of turf at my home/shop to experiment. The cool cloudy situation bothered me a little. We have had a little early start to things this year. And these 50's made me think that they would have slowed down a bit and wouldn't translocate the poison.LOL That's what the test plot is for. I am keeping records on both plots to see what improvements.

one is full on all I can do

the other is fertilization only. 1lb N 30%pscu per 1000 March 1

start2finish
04-07-2008, 07:23 PM
wanted to keep this thread fresh, 24 hrs after app, chickweed appears stressed. dandelion is unchanged,.

sedge
04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I think you'll get fairly good results. I use 992/3-way at about the 3pt/acre and get very good results down to about 48 degrees. Is the chickweed common chickweed, or mouseear chickweed?

We had to add quick silver and we are using 1.5 oz per m2. Terrible results. Just started using the quick silver Saturday, so we will see. I am adding .0128oz of quick silver per m2. This is in 50 to 60 degree temps on Bermuda. Getting partial kill on henbit, total kill on dandelion. Partial on clover.

start2finish
04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
great results, this would seem to be a great application. 2 weeks passed since app. clear signs of weeds dying. slow, but definately signs were present after 1 week that it was working.

LawnTamer
04-13-2008, 11:36 PM
We had to add quick silver and we are using 1.5 oz per m2. Terrible results. Just started using the quick silver Saturday, so we will see. I am adding .0128oz of quick silver per m2. This is in 50 to 60 degree temps on Bermuda. Getting partial kill on henbit, total kill on dandelion. Partial on clover.

Sedge, I used to go at a higher rate too. I found I got a lot of burn down, but not the kill I wanted. I go just barely lower than you, I am at 1.2-1.28/1,000. I use Lesco spreader/sticker and have been getting good results, of course, we have different soil, grass and weed pressure, but in my case, I found I actually got better kills, slower but better, at the lower rate.
I used to run Speedzone, which is basically 992 mixed with carfentrazone (quicksilver) It was great on dandelions and clover, but it just burnt the tops of of mallows and other rooty weeds.

(wi) Roots
04-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Try ester formulation at those temps. Just a suggestion.

start2finish
04-14-2008, 09:22 PM
wi is that for speed or quality of final product?

RigglePLC
04-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I got great results using Surge on mallow. Nothing else works. Surge with sulfentrazone (which is similar to Speedzone with carfentrazone).

sedge
04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Sedge, I used to go at a higher rate too. I found I got a lot of burn down, but not the kill I wanted. I go just barely lower than you, I am at 1.2-1.28/1,000. I use Lesco spreader/sticker and have been getting good results, of course, we have different soil, grass and weed pressure, but in my case, I found I actually got better kills, slower but better, at the lower rate.
I used to run Speedzone, which is basically 992 mixed with carfentrazone (quicksilver) It was great on dandelions and clover, but it just burnt the tops of of mallows and other rooty weeds.

Thanx LawnTamer, was maybe thinking on those lines, but wasn't sure. I did try a mix of .75oz of 2,4-d ester, .75oz of Trimec and .023oz I think of quick silver. I sprayed this mix late afternoon Saturday and it was about 50, cloudy with a few rain drops. Went back at about 3 on Sunday and the Dandelions were smoked. Henbit, smoked. Clover, nada. There was some other stuff too, looking pretty peaked. We'll see next week.

I dropped the Quick silver today and reduced the ester to .25oz and increased the Trimec to 1oz as temps are in the 60's and only going up. What about always adding a bit of an ester chaser, instead and/or of surfactant?