PDA

View Full Version : 2 cycle oil

Evan528
01-17-2000, 04:12 PM
I was wandering what brand of 2 cycle oil everyone was using. for many years i have been using lawnboy oil in all my 2 cycle equipment. this year i had 2 peices of equipment in the shop for not having the power they should. my dealer told me that lawn boy oil leaves alot of deposits in the muffler ports.....he cleaned them out and the equipment ran like new.

RJW
01-17-2000, 05:49 PM
I've been using Echo 2cyl. oil for 3 years now. No problems<br>I was told by my dealer that I buy it from that the new Echo oil will have a stabilizer in it. <br>From what I've heard the two best oils on the market are Echo and Husgavarna.<br>The way these newer 2cyl. engines are stay with the better oils.<br>RJW

Lazer
01-17-2000, 06:15 PM
Evan,<br>All non-synthetic oil will leave some carbon build-up. (Synthetic=no carbon, but we're not going there again)<p>The build-up is generally more related to carbueration, engine RPM and engine temp. Run a good oil mixed properly and run 2-cycle engines at full throttle, high rpms.

HOMER
01-17-2000, 06:19 PM
I use the Stihl oil for my Stihl equipment and have never had any fuel related/carb. problems, but like the man said, run em' w.o.t. and keep the lid on your gas can so you don't get trash in the gas.

Keith
01-17-2000, 06:26 PM
I use Amsoil 100:1 synthetic in all of my two cycle equipment and have for over 7 years. Don't let the lean mix scare you. I have had no problems with it. I had a Stihl backpack blower engine seize, but it wasn't due to the Amsoil. It had been run on straight gasoline four times for a total of about 15 minutes. When I tore it down, a ring had stuck. I got the ring back to a useful state, put a new cylinder gasket on and it ran for another year until it got run over by the trailer. I believe that using Amsoil allowed it to run that long without oil. While running anything without oil is not very smart, I think Amsoil gives a little added protection.

Lazer
01-17-2000, 06:33 PM
Keith,<p>I agree with your sentiments. We used a synthetic called Optimol for years. They actually made ECHO oil brand for a while, but ECHO switched back to organic. We had no problems with it and it did take a while to get used to the 100:1 ratio, but we never had a failure. Our local ECHO dealer said the factory isn't covering units run with synthetics, so rather than aruguing...<p>I did like the lack of smoke though...

Eric ELM
01-17-2000, 06:47 PM
I have used Shindiawa oil for the past 6 seasons. When I bought the chain saw, they said the warranty was doulbled if I used their oil in it. Not that I needed it to be doubled. Never had problems with any of the Shindiawa engines, except when they all walked away last winter. Seemed someone else needed them worse than me. Sounds like you are having all the luck too Kieth. LOL What a funny story. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

VWBug61083
01-17-2000, 07:05 PM
I use nothing but Echo oil for my Echo equipment. According to the dealer, not using Echo oil could actually void the warranty. But of course, not everyone uses Echo. So I would just use whatever is recommended by the manufacture.

Keith
01-17-2000, 07:08 PM
Lazer, When I was using some Echo equipment I used Amsoil anyway, it was worth the risk. LOL. I somewhat understand it, they don't want the customers using some old crap. I think if your warranty can be voided by using another oil though, they should have to supply the oil. Shindaiwa is the same way, if you buy two cases of their oil, the warranty goes from ninety days to a year. It doesn't matter, I'll use the Amsoil. Probably every company out there would try to beat you out of the warranty if given a chance. As long as they keep making quality equipment, I'll buy it.<p>Eric, I don't know about that. Speaking of things walking off, 4 Echo SRM 2400's, 2 Stihl backpacks, three hand held blowers, 2 stick edgers grew legs and walked off....in a little over a year. Got dogs, solved that problem. However after numerous problems with the county, I was forced to move my trailer off of my property. I had to find a secure lot. I managed to find a mini warehouse place that allowed trailer storage. The place was nice and was fenced with a electronic security gate. Guess what....trailer gets stolen!<br>

jeffclc
01-18-2000, 02:18 AM
I use Lawn Boy oil in everything. I also use the Lawn Boy 32:1 mix in everything. I cannot imagine having 4 seperate gas cans for each mix that I would need to satisfy the requirements for each piece of equipment.<p>I have been doing this for years, and have never had a problem, other than clogged exhaust. As I understand it, the exhaust can get clogged with just about any oil, mine may get there a little faster, I don't know.<p>Why don't the manafactures listen, and come up with a standard mix for all two cycle engines? Then we could buy it pre mixed right from the pump. Sure would save a lot of aggrivation.

Cannonturf
01-18-2000, 04:16 PM
I switched to Phillips Injex and half my problem went away.Burns cleaner

gene gls
01-18-2000, 04:47 PM
I use Optimol & Rotory Synthetic(non smoking) oil.I even run a thinner mix than listed on the oil pack.I also use the best gas and only mix 1 gal at a time to eliminate evaperation problems.

Charles
01-19-2000, 11:57 AM
I use homelite exact mix. Comes in the squeeze bottle. Works perfectly for me. Be sure to use 89 and above octane gas.

CustomCutLawnsLLC
01-19-2000, 12:11 PM
Iuse optimol in everything.Ibuy it by the case as it is a little cheaper that way.No problems last 6 years.john

Cannonturf
01-20-2000, 05:02 AM
Some words of advise.<br>I worked for a large maintenance company,well still do but heading out on my own.If you have more than one crew, have one person in the company mix your mixed gas.This way you have the same ratio each time instead of having different mixes. I found that every crew mixed it different and when the blowers,trimmers,ect wouldnt run right the guys would try to adjust the carbs.<br>This cause BIG problems!!<br>Once we switch to one person mixing 90% of the siezes and pluged exchaust went away.<br>One more advice alway mix with a empty gas can dont try to guess on how much is in the can and guess how much oil to put in.<p>

MOW ED
01-31-2000, 04:11 PM
I've been using Amsoil in all 2 cycle equipment for 4 years and haven't had a problem except for one, after I put it in the Lawn-Boy I kept getting bitten by mosquitos. So I just burn Lawn Boy Oil in my backyard TeeKee Torches.

steve
01-31-2000, 07:45 PM
Most of your the 2-cycle oil is made by spectrum. (ie. Husky, Dolmar, Stihl, etc.)

SLSNursery
02-01-2000, 07:07 PM
We use Husqvarna 2 cycle oil and switch to their premium in the winter. In the past we had some trouble with the mix when gas stations switched to MTBE additives for the cold weather. The premium oil has given us no problems for a few years. I agree with the previous post about mixing procedures too. We clearly mark the cans, always mix the same amount, always go to the same gas station, and always fill empty containers rather than guess. <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

lawrence stone
02-01-2000, 08:18 PM
When you mix your two stroke can first put<br>about a pint of fuel in your empty can.<br>Then add amsoil 100 to 1 synthetic (a bad word to some folks) at a 80 to 1 ratio.<br>Then shake the can and then add the rest of the fuel. <p>I am still using the same trimming mower (Toro of course) I<br>bought back in 1989 (with a new deck) and<br>have NEVER had to retire any 2 cycle equipment.