PDA

View Full Version : Scag Or Cub Cadet?

Benz2328
04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I have been in the Landscaping business for 3 years... I started with a Cub Cadet RZT50 ... I need to upgrade since this is no commercial mower... right now I have about 25 customers.. I make about $1400 a month profit from them... I have looked at some new mowers but it feels like im buying a car since they are so expensive!

THis is what i was quoted tell me what you think

Scag wildcat 52 inch 25 kaw $9350.00 + 724.63tax =$10,074
Scag Tiger cub $ 7595+588.61tax= $8183.61

Cub cadet Tank was having a special for $6199.00 + tax

what is the best mower for me, what would you recommend and are these good deals???:dizzy:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
HELLO first do you have a walk behind mower ?
I have 48 inch tank 800 hours never in the shop for repairs , been good to me and me good to it.. I also have walk behind 48 for harder spots for mowing.. I BELIVE that you might be alright with a tank and a nice 48 walk behind for the same price as 1 scag wildcat .... most people on this site dont like the tank but never used one either , they also belive one $400 weed eater will last longer then 6 weed eaters with out the big name... I USE what works for me ..... good luck

edgeman2003
04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I've been looking at the scag wildcat. A dealer in md said the wildcat would be $8,100. I will be going to the dealer this week to work up some kind of deal.

N.H.BOY
04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
The TANK's run hard and strong for a long time. My 54 tank still running....good price and most important make sure you have a great dealer to go back to for repairs and stuff.

Mowingman
04-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I was a Cub dealer , but no more. Do not even think about getting a Cub Tank. While they are a pretty good mower and have a good cut, the quality control is now very bad at the factory. Your new Tank WILL have problems. No telling what will fall off or go out of adjustment.
You will probably have to return it for repairs/adjustments several times in the first 100 hours. I don't think you want to be faced with that downtime.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
04-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I was a Cub dealer , but no more. Do not even think about getting a Cub Tank. While they are a pretty good mower and have a good cut, the quality control is now very bad at the factory. Your new Tank WILL have problems. No telling what will fall off or go out of adjustment.
You will probably have to return it for repairs/adjustments several times in the first 100 hours. I don't think you want to be faced with that downtime.

what mower would you call a good one looking for one that is about 52 inch with about a 25 kaw that baggs great..I was think ferris but dont know yet .
Thanks *trucewhiteflag*

ALC-GregH
04-06-2008, 10:55 PM
with that said, what if your a veteran mechanic and could take it apart and reassemble without a problem? I've serviced just about every single car out there in my 30+ years doing auto repair. Is the only reason your saying this about the Cub because most can't fix them their self? I have a CC dealer very close. I might find a good deal there. I've seen deals in the past, of course this was when I wasn't in the market. If the only reason for NOT getting a CC would be that they fall apart due to poor QC, I could live with that and just check every bolt on it. Make any adjustments needed and I should be fine. IF I were to get one. :)

capnsac
04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I love the **** out of my tank, it runs strong and has never ever let me down. My dealer is fantastic and if I ever need him he is there for me. Not that I have needed him much, but when times have been tough he has been there to get me through with whatever I needed. Let me emphasize this point, it is all about dealer support. Don't try and low ball them, pay their price and be happy with it because in the end all your doing is costing yourself and your business more money. The tank is a phenomenal piece of equipment from top to bottom and I'd put it against anything out there, even the beloved scag.

ALC-GregH
04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
cap, how is the cut? Does it stripe good? Does it mulch good? thanks

Benz2328
04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm starting to like the cub cadet, that last comment was strong... I was planning on buying a scag but wow...

Still waiting to hear from others

capnsac
04-07-2008, 02:39 AM
cap, how is the cut? Does it stripe good? Does it mulch good? thanks

Mulching, striping, you name it this thing will do it. Spring has arrived as we all have been anxiously waiting and so all the left over leaves need to be taken care of from fall. Well I figured I might have to double cut in order to make it look good and that it might bog the engine down a bit. Neither happened, and the best part of it all was that it was wet grass and leaves. The final cut it leaves is like carpet, truly awesome.
I love my tank if you couldn't already tell. It holds extremely well on the toughest of grades. To be honest, I will mow a border around the tight areas with my 34" ztr black bear just to come back and mow the rest with my Tank. Not because doing that saves time, but because it gives that pristine look of professionalism. I have yet to take any pictures of the stripes it lays (dunno why) but I will try and get some up asap.

capnsac
04-07-2008, 02:48 AM
I'm starting to like the cub cadet, that last comment was strong... I was planning on buying a scag but wow...

Still waiting to hear from others

Ask Envy Lawn Service what he thinks of cubcadet and tanks. He knows more about the company and the Tank than I could tell you at the moment. Hopefully he sees this thread and chimes in.

lostmdboy
04-07-2008, 07:41 AM
I have a CC walk behind, and have to do some small adjustments. Along with changing belts, and blades. For the most part it runs well, and gives a good cut. I really can not say any thing about it to this date.

gandk06
04-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I think that you could answer your own question. If you have been running a residential cub for the past three years with no problems, think what their commercial equipment is built like.

For the price of the cub you can't go wrong. They are built very tough.

I am on my 3rd year of running tanks and they are great.

Don't know much about the scags except that they are expensive.

Benz2328
04-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I agree today I went to start up my mower for the 1st time this year, it started right up... except when i turn on the blades it shuts off!! The things where the blades go on are tightttttt they won't turn ... I hope some wd40 will do the trick...

Jay Ray
04-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Torque your blade nuts to spec and there should never be a problem removing. Impact wrench makes removal so much easier.

Benz2328
04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Ok.... i fixxed it... it just needed to be lubed upp:weightlifter:

SNAPPER MAN
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I love my TANK. My new '08 is awsome. They really made some nice upgrades on them this year such as the new Select Cut System deck and the white seat so you dont roast your ass in the summer. Get one.

capnsac
04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I love my TANK. My new '08 is awsome. They really made some nice upgrades on them this year such as the new Select Cut System deck and the white seat so you dont roast your ass in the summer. Get one.

If all goes well I will buy one at the end of the season. :weightlifter: If you don't mind me asking though, how much did you pay for yours Snapper Man?