PDA

View Full Version : PTO Problems Please Help

willygee
04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I recently replaced the engine on my Bobcat ZT200. After installing the new engine the PTO clutch will not engage. I have power at the connector for the clutch but nothing happens when I pull the switch to turn on the blades. The previous owner has cut the harness side of the clutch connector and replaced it with two male spade connectors. One is positive and one is ground. I thought I had them hooked up correctly but was wondering if I could have ruined the clutch by hooking them up to the wrong side in the connector on the clutch? Any help would be greatly appreciated I would really like to avoid replacing the clutch if possible.
Thanks,
Bill

willygee
04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
P.S. The clutch worked fine before installing the new engine.

Restrorob
04-07-2008, 09:57 AM
The clutch is nothing more than a magnetic switch, I don't believe you did any harm hooking the wires up backward.

Use your test apparatus and make sure the other wire at the clutch is grounding, Could be a break in the ground circuit (broke wire/bad safety switch) since you do have power to the clutch.

The clutch can be tested by hooking up the wire that has power and running a jumper wire from the other connector to any frame/engine ground.

Good Luck

willygee
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for they reply Rob I knew I could count on you for some advice. While I was testing for power I used the black wire that runs to the clutch as a ground just to verify it was actually working as a ground, it was. I have never replaced a electric clutch before so I am not familiar with how they work. It looks pretty straight foward but is there anything that I could have over looked while swaping it over from the old engine? I just removed the bolt and lowered the whole unit off of the shaft and set it aside while I did the engine swap.

Restrorob
04-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Did you make sure both crankshafts were the same length ?

Some units have a pin or bolt sticking down from the frame that must go through a hole in the clutch base, This is to keep the clutch base from spinning while engaged. If you missed the pin/bolt and tightened the center bolt it will put the clutch in a bind and you won't hear it click in, It will already be forced together.

If you find this not to be the problem I guess remove the clutch from the engine and bench test it with jumpers.

mowermankevin
04-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Did you make sure both crankshafts were the same length ?

Some units have a pin or bolt sticking down from the frame that must go through a hole in the clutch base, This is to keep the clutch base from spinning while engaged. If you missed the pin/bolt and tightened the center bolt it will put the clutch in a bind and you won't hear it click in, It will already be forced together.

If you find this not to be the problem I guess remove the clutch from the engine and bench test it with jumpers.

R Rob, You are something else, I really don't get how you have the time to reply to all the questions, God(whatever your conception) bless you!! I only hope they haven't turned the clutch on and twisted the wires off already and if they are still on this thread, running any two wires off a pos and neg will cause the clutch to click, a 12 volt battery with alligator clips to either of the wires, and the clutch will lock on, just make sure the clutch is fastened to the deck body before the engine is running, the engine does not need to run to do the 12 volt test, the quieter the better,you will hear the magic of the magnet with the engine off. If you hear the clicking by touching the power source, then hook the plug back into the receiver terminal plug(PTO switch) once again verify that the clutch is fastened down and will not spin and turn the engine on and see if the PTO switch activates the clutch.

themowerman
04-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Also check as Rob has said that the crank shaft is the same length and also if there was a spacer on the shaft. Most of the Bobcats used an engine spacer and without it the clutch will not work. I have seen some brand new units missing the spacer.