PDA

View Full Version : Rookie questions

gunputt
11-29-2001, 06:01 PM
I am planning on starting up a service next season.
My plan is to mow, trim and clen up with blowers. My first question of many to come is should the buisiness cards I make up say that I am a lawn service or a mowing srvice?

Also the equipment I am starting out with, will be a Scag 36"W/B, Honda 21", Red Max 2500 Trimmer, and a Red Max EB 7000 blower. What size trailer should I start with.

Also wanted to add that I have reading posts for a while and want to thank you all for the stuff I have already learned from this site.

I dont know why but my wife doesnt like the name Big Johns Mow, Whack and Blow

odin
11-29-2001, 06:10 PM
Gunputt

You are starting out with some pretty good equipment
If at all possible id get a 16 foot trailer ,even if its to big now you will grow into it.Getting liabilty insurance is important get it to.

good luck to you

mdb landscaping
11-29-2001, 06:11 PM
i would use the name lawn service. if you offer other services in the future, you wont need to change your business card. as for a trailer. id start off with at least a 6 by 12. it may seem really big for the time, but in a year or two youll have that filled and be looking into a 14 or 16 foot trailer.

Fantasy Lawns
11-29-2001, 06:12 PM
We use "Professional Grounds Maintenance" on cards

Choosing a name may be one of the single most important first step decision's you make your 1st year

keep is short n simple ....no gimicks ....something which reflects how you wish to be percieved ..... thought of ....n remembers ...
I've seen ton's of good names with neat slogans which go with the name .......

my .02 is the name should have a max of 3 words .... with one word related to the type of work ...... tree .....landscape .....lawn....etc.

BigJim
11-29-2001, 06:40 PM
Great name though!Put that on a trailer down her and you'd get 5-10yrs in the county jail!!!!!.......LOL......:D

Green Care
11-29-2001, 06:43 PM
I would think a 16ft. trailer .
Keep name short +simple.
.Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gogetter
11-29-2001, 09:36 PM
Go with Lawn Service (or maintenance), "mowing service" sounds like the kid down the street. Plus as already mentioned, if you expand into landscaping the name won't be a problem

As far as trailer size. I also only have a 36" and a 21" mower set up and I use a 5'x10' trailer. Although it's plenty big for the mowers, it gets small quick when you have to haul off tree and bush trimmmings, etc. And when I get a 48" mower next season it will be tight on there for sure. So like everyone said already, get the biggest one you can afford and store.

P.S. No offense to anyone here that does use "Mowing service" currently.:)

Clint
11-29-2001, 10:09 PM
so, how bout it..

Quality Control Lawn Care

or

Quality Control Lawn Service

which and what do you think

Clint

odin
11-29-2001, 10:13 PM
Clint
I know now why you are such a go getter you got a scottish last name.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 01:12 AM
"Morrison Lawn Maintanence"

"Morrison's Manicured Lawns"

"Morrison's Grounds Maintanence"

I like #2 the best

Start with a 16 footer tandum if you have a truck to pull it. Then you wont have to buy another when you out grow the other.

Also when you want to haul bulky things or heavy things such as mulch you have the space and capacity to handle it.

Kent Lawns
11-30-2001, 01:18 AM
I like the 14' single axle trailer:

1.) Less maintenance. (Tandems wear tires, you'll put 3 time more tires on a tandem than a single.) Plus no spring levelizer to wear.

2.) You can put 2 commercial mowers on either a 14' or 16'. 2 Z's or 1 Z and 1 WB. A 16' just cannot take 3 mowers anyway.

3.) Easier to pull, store and hook up each day.

4.) Cheaper.

Why do you need/want a 7000# capacity trailer to haul 2000# of equipment?

I know the 16' is more common, but we use just sold the last of ours. 14' work far better in our operations.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Kent Lawns
I like the 14' single axle trailer:

2.) You can put 2 commercial mowers on either a 14' or 16'. 2 Z's or 1 Z and 1 WB. A 16' just cannot take 3 mowers anyway.

3.) Easier to pull, store and hook up each day.

4.) Cheaper.

Why do you need/want a 7000# capacity trailer to haul 2000# of equipment?

I know the 16' is more common, but we use just sold the last of ours. 14' work far better in our operations.

I beg to differ

I can put 3-52" and 1-36" on a 16'

I can put 2-60"ZTR's and a 52" on a 16'

14' single will cost the same or more here than a16'tandum. I put tires on about every 3 years. same with all of my trailers 1, 2 and 3 axle and dual tandum

Have no problem taking off and hooking up trailers

more cap. when and if you need it.

strickdad
11-30-2001, 02:42 AM
the name is not as important as the work you do in the long run people will gauge you on the quailty of work you do ... beleave it or not the number one lco around here is a company that goes by the name of " bucks yard service"(kinda cheesey huh) i dont know about the last two years but in 1999 he had 63 full time employees they were doing 70 apartment complexes and countless other commerical and residentual accounts . there gross sales for 99 was 3.4 millon dollars not to bad for a co. with a cheesey name huh?

BigJim
11-30-2001, 05:05 AM
Clint's Lawn Service.........says it all,kinda catchy too!Besta luck mate.

Got Grass?
11-30-2001, 06:16 AM
I kinda like:
"Morrison's Maintenance"
"Morrison's Mow's"

Kinda catchey.

"Quality Control" just dosn't sound right for some reason.

gogetter
11-30-2001, 09:31 AM
"Morrison's Maintenance"

Doesn't say anythig about lawns. What is he maintaining?

"Morrison's Mow's"

Limits him to mowing. Potential customers may want hedges trimmed, beds mulched, etc., but they see his ad and figure he just "mows".

Ric
11-30-2001, 10:15 AM
"Professional Grounds Maintenance"

I like this, it says a lot with a few words.

Theleven I hope you will let me borrow your idea. Thanks

crew
11-30-2001, 10:28 AM
I have two 16 footers and a twelve footer and if anyone wants to trade a single axel 12 for a tandem 16, call me.
I 'd go with the 12 ' single for the same reasons stated above. easier to manuever, can haul a 21' push, a 36 walk behind and a 60 z, plus gas cans etc. Unless you need more than that why spend the extra dough.

bruces
11-30-2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by crew
I have two 16 footers and a twelve footer and if anyone wants to trade a single axel 12 for a tandem 16, call me.
I 'd go with the 12 ' single for the same reasons stated above. easier to manuever, can haul a 21' push, a 36 walk behind and a 60 z, plus gas cans etc. Unless you need more than that why spend the extra dough.

Because, in spite of what you hear, size matters!

Really, though, I started with a 10' and have been sorry almost from the beginning, I'm looking for a 18 or 20 for next year.

BigJim
11-30-2001, 02:06 PM
O.K then what about...

Clints ,mowing,fertilizing,aerating,dethatching,spraying,weeding,cutting,trimming,seeding,striping,edging,g ardening,planting,hoeing,leveling,shifting,hauling,pushing,pulling,pruning,lopping,slashing,gutter cleaning,dog doo removing,snake catchin',termite inspecting,bug killin,consulting,free quoting,we go any where,do any thing,anytime,for anyone,work for next to nothing,low prices,cheap labor,pay me next week,if ever,digging,chopping,sawing,stacking,talk to little old ladies who need company,cut grass that aint been mowed for 6 months,get cats outta trees,professional,quality,money back guarantee,as seen on TV,free steak knives with every job,leaf blowin,sucking,bagging,raking,disposal,sweeping,burning,we'll toss'em over the neighbours yard if you want,snow plowing,shovelling,shifting,melting,we'll eat it if you want,...and we blow the grass of the sidewalk for free Service.

Its a bit of a mouth full but you'd have the biggest trailer in the state...:D

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 05:15 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!

That would cost alot of $ to print on a sign for his truck or trailer.

cclllc
11-30-2001, 08:20 PM
Clint's Lawncare
Clint's Lawn Maintenance
Clint's Total Turf Care
Clint's Turf Care
Clint's Lawn & Landscape

What size truck are you using?Get insurance.Go with the yellow pages.you will be covered up.I know.I've turned down thousands of dollars worth of work this year.Goodluck.

Kent Lawns
11-30-2001, 11:20 PM
I am always intrigued as I help new guys get started by how much time the spend teaking a name.

Does it make much difference?

Lets see: Jim's Mowing is one of the biggest, most profitable lawn companies in the world.

I have a buddy who does $3,200,000.00 in sales and nets 11% of that and doesn't even have a company name.
Just uses his own personal name.

Certainly you should have a decent name, but don't think that will make any difference.

casey
11-30-2001, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Kent Lawns

Certainly you should have a decent name, but don't think that will make any difference.

Agreed. Too much time spent on image building & not enough on practicalities.